6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Add Nav?

Old 03-21-2013, 01:32 PM
saratoga2011
More Turbo
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Add Nav?

Does anyone know if it's possible to add factory nav to MFT in a 2013 if it didn't come with it? Seems to me it's a software thing because the system uses the SD slot for maps unlike the old denso nav unit with a hard drive.

I wanted a truck with nav but couldn't find a 6.2 with it anywhere. Still amazes me how some cars/trucks are built with everything else but missing the one thing you wanted.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't read about anyone attempting to do this yet. Is the dash the same in the trucks that don't have the MFT? I know guys have added the nav units to the '11/'12 MY trucks, don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it with a '13, although it'll be way more involved and costly with the hvac controls, etc...

Any reason why you didn't order a truck to begin with? Just curious.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 PM
saratoga2011
More Turbo
It already has MFT with Sync and Sync Services. It's my understanding that the nav just has to be enabled in the information section and you need the SD card with the maps (mine has the SD card reader also). The dealer doesn't have a clue and has supposedly never had anyone ask about this.

The dash looks completely different from the 11-12s that had the Denso hard drive based nav unit that my old one had.

Here is what the dash looks like (I stole this from a pic on cars.com)

Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
I knew the dash was different than previous MY's but I didn't know if your truck already had the MFT.

Interesting that the nav just has to be enabled along w/ obtaining the sd card. Do you have a nav antenna already too? It may be worth trying a few other dealers. I looked around on some other forums and couldn't find anything but I'll keep my eyes peeled...

Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 AM
2013SD6.2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats a big fat NO! I too have a 2013 Lariat SD with SYNC MY Touch and the Sony sound system. I have had the truck for a few months now and like you have been researching the topic. First I googled it and found out that the SD cards you get from ford is just MAPS, and your Sync MY TOUCH system is actually VIN LOCKED to not accept it. You can't always believe everything you read on the internet so during a trip to the dealer for remote start I personally spoke with the techs. The above is true he said and also you are missing the GPS module. He gave me two ford SD cards, A3 and A4 and tried to upload them just to make sure the F250s was like all the rest of the fords with MY TOUCH and no GPS. It wouldn't read them. My truck has been the guinea pig for the dealership as it is the first super duty they have had with the new dash and my touch setup. They have since had plenty come in and go out.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:15 PM
GG386
Mountain Pass
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
How does one input the destination into the Ford Sync? Voice or type? When my 13 was ordered, I specifically ordered around the ultimate package so as to get everything else sans nav. Personally, the MAPS app. on my phone has been used a total of 2 times, with mixed results. TBH, my goal was to sync. my phone with the MyFord system and just use that, but from the post above, doesn't look like that's going to happen.........

Maybe I'm just not a candidate for the navigation thing, but I have never been in a situation were it was so critical that I can't live w/o it. I've been in many vehicles with it, but pulling over at a local business and just asking the person there for the road info, has proven to be very effective ( a little human interaction never hurt anybody). IIRC, there was about a $900 difference between the Lariat pkg. and checking the options column to get the other included features with the ultimate (less nav.). With GPS on our phones now, we can just say our destination and have the phone gives us the route- nav. in my truck would be redundant, and the 900 looks better in my pocket than Ford's!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GG386
How does one input the destination into the Ford Sync? Voice or type? When my 13 was ordered, I specifically ordered around the ultimate package so as to get everything else sans nav. Personally, the MAPS app. on my phone has been used a total of 2 times, with mixed results. TBH, my goal was to sync. my phone with the MyFord system and just use that, but from the post above, doesn't look like that's going to happen.........

Maybe I'm just not a candidate for the navigation thing, but I have never been in a situation were it was so critical that I can't live w/o it. I've been in many vehicles with it, but pulling over at a local business and just asking the person there for the road info, has proven to be very effective ( a little human interaction never hurt anybody). IIRC, there was about a $900 difference between the Lariat pkg. and checking the options column to get the other included features with the ultimate (less nav.). With GPS on our phones now, we can just say our destination and have the phone gives us the route- nav. in my truck would be redundant, and the 900 looks better in my pocket than Ford's!
I agree with you here, I can't remember when I had to have the GPS function or wish I had it. Plus you can't input anything with the truck moving, you must pull over and come to a complete stop. So my iPhone is much better for this application. I also tried the Sync app on the phone and it makes you come to a complete stop to use it too.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 PM
saratoga2011
More Turbo
Originally Posted by GG386

I tried using the Sync Destinations app on my phone but never had good luck with it. Today, I tried using MapQuest and have to say that worked pretty slick.

You go into MapQuest, pick a destination and send it to Sync. All you have to do is enter your phone number. Then in MFT you go to Services and it will call Sync Services like normal... the first thing the lady tells you is that you have a destination saved and asks if you want to load it. Tell her yes and it downloads to MFT, disconnects the call then the turn-by-turn directions start.

The only thing I noticed is that MFT doesn't automatically re-route if you don't follow the directions. It has to call services again for a new route.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 PM
GG386
Mountain Pass
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
Just loaded MQ on my phone and I'll give it a shot tomorrow. From what I gather, services needs to be informed for the information to be loaded? MyFord doesn't have the ability to just take the app and use the destination/route off the phone and just run with it? I assume all this is done in park

I see there's a lockpic programmar out now that mods the MyFord touch sytem now for the 13's and has some overide features that can be built in. My understanding is that videos can be played while the trick is underway (if you want it).

Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Good info here I was curious about using the sync with my app on the phone.....I do not like how it would make you stop and enter a destination.

When I was looking at trucks a nav system was kinda on my list.....when I found my truck on the lot it had everything I wanted its a lariat with everything except the touch screen. the more I thought about it the more I talked myself out of having the touch screen nav. I have used my I-phone more than once for directions.......I had to work in N.Y during the hurricane last year and I used my phone. Honestly the turn buy turn on my phone was just as good or better than any nav system I have seen in a vehicle.

Last weekend I was going to try and sync my phone app to the truck but if you have to stop to enter an address I dont think I will bother.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:32 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
The Sync Lockpick let's you enter the address while in motion, along with a few other nifty things...

EDIT - Just realized they may not have anything out yet for the '13's....

Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
The Sync Lockpick let's you enter the address while in motion, along with a few other nifty things...

EDIT - Just realized they may not have anything out yet for the '13's....

cool good to know now I just need to figure out how ti use it lol!

Old 04-02-2013, 04:22 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
It's super easy, I think they have some videos on their site showing them navigating through the menus.