Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (all engine sizes)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
P0012 - anyone else get one of these?

This is in my Taurus SHO, not a truck, but wondering if anyone else has ever experienced or heard of this sort of thing.

Only 1000 miles on it so far, but scanned it for the heck of it and found this code. No SES light. Waited a few days, didn't go away, cleared the DTCs, and came back in a couple of days.

Saw it happen this morning, light came on for a split second and went right back off. It was while I was really REALLY on it, I think it might have been during an upshift.

Seems to me that when the RPMs drop real fast, the computer expects to advance the cam quickly and it lags.

Could be a calibration bug (computer doesn't wait long enough for it to happen), a sticky solenoid, cam phaser sticking, whatever.

Just curious is anyone had any ideas on it before I take the leap to bring it to the Ford dealer - which I am going to avoid as much as possible
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Oh, and just for the record, the P0012 is CAM "A" too retarded.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:00 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
Oh, and just for the record, the P0012 is CAM "A" too retarded.
Sorry for the delay Art, I just caught this one. I'd say a trip to the dealer is in order. Their diagnostic equipment is far superior to my hand held and can likely detect an issue or even reflash the onboard computer.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 12-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Posting Guru

Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
This is in my Taurus SHO, not a truck, but wondering if anyone else has ever experienced or heard of this sort of thing.

Only 1000 miles on it so far, but scanned it for the heck of it and found this code. No SES light. Waited a few days, didn't go away, cleared the DTCs, and came back in a couple of days.

Saw it happen this morning, light came on for a split second and went right back off. It was while I was really REALLY on it, I think it might have been during an upshift.

Seems to me that when the RPMs drop real fast, the computer expects to advance the cam quickly and it lags.

Could be a calibration bug (computer doesn't wait long enough for it to happen), a sticky solenoid, cam phaser sticking, whatever.

Just curious is anyone had any ideas on it before I take the leap to bring it to the Ford dealer - which I am going to avoid as much as possible
Sounds like a VCT Oil Control Solenoid acting up.
1966 F100 Plain Jane AZ Grandpa Truck 352 3spd
1966 F250 Plain Jane Red/Red Long Bed 3.5L EcoBoost
1966 F600 Never Titled OR Registered Only 5388 Miles
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss9F100 View Post
Sounds like a VCT Oil Control Solenoid acting up.
That's what I'm thinking. How easy is that to get at?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Posting Guru

Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
That's what I'm thinking. How easy is that to get at?
Valve cover has to come off. The VCT valves are what is sticking out of your valve cover.

Intake VCT may come off but think you may have to remove the upper link chain to get the exhaust one off. Pretty involved. Special tools etc

Ford shows a warning for what type of silicone is used to seal area where timing cover meets head when you re-install the valve cover. Supposedly if the wrong silicone is used it will cause engine oil to foam causing severe engine damage . . .

If you were close I would offer to throw the Ford Scan tool on it to watch the cam timing events.

a quick couple pics

1966 F100 Plain Jane AZ Grandpa Truck 352 3spd
1966 F250 Plain Jane Red/Red Long Bed 3.5L EcoBoost
1966 F600 Never Titled OR Registered Only 5388 Miles
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Great pics!

I wonder, if break-in oil, or the wrong oil put in by the dealer, can cause this?

I haven't seen the check engine light come on at all. The flickering I saw in the dash was actually the traction/stability system, I think

Scanned it just yesterday, code still there, no light.

I have an SCT X3 I'm trying to get upgraded to be able to datalog this, and I do have a bluetooth dongle that I have to get more experience with.

I should really call the dealer, but ... hate to go that route without a FULL understanding of the issue.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM