1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Replaced starter still just clicks... Help please.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:54 PM
meierw1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced starter still just clicks... Help please.

Hey guys the other day I posted about my starter not working (well I thought it was the starter), I just replaced it with a brand new starter and it is still just making a single click when I turn the key. Is there any other things that could cause it to do this? Bad cps? I just got off the phone with a ford mechanic(personal friend) and he said motor could be locked up but I find that hard to believe since it ran fine then bam it wouldn’t start. I checked all my wires and everything is nice and tight. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Cody. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 12-12-2012, 05:10 PM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you clean the batt terminals ? enough batt power? and how about the starter solinoid?

Old 12-12-2012, 05:21 PM
howellt39
Senior User
Can you turn the engine by hand? Might as well make sure.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fully charge both of your batteries and have them load tested. Replace both batteries if only one is bad or the other weak one will pull the new battery all the way down quickly. Do as above and clean your terminals. Also your starter solenoid is mounted on the passenger side wall just above your wheel well. Take a screwdriver and short across both of those LARGE terminals. Make sure your vehicle is in park or neutral/ out of gear and the Ebrake is set. If it turns over strong after you short out the two large terminals on that solenoid then replace it. If you turn your key to run just before you start this test and it turns over it should start. Keep in mind that your Glow plugs turn on as soon as you turn the key on so have the hood up and know exaxtly where you are shorting across. If it seems slow or nothing at all then get those batteries fully charged and take them to your favorite place for purchasing batteries and have them load tested for free. Communist Wal Mart will do it for you also.
Dwayne

Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
meierw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by howellt39
Just checked and engine turns by hand.... batt terminals are clean all connections are snug

Old 12-12-2012, 05:26 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Is it the starter or the solenoid that is clicking....

Check the voltage level that is being sent to the starter when the key is turned.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:30 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,886 Likes on 1,138 Posts
Originally Posted by howellt39
Yep, 24mm (15/16") socket and a breaker bar. In 2 minutes you can rule that out.

edit: I must type s l o w......

Old 12-12-2012, 05:30 PM
meierw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1fixitman
Fully charge both of your batteries and have them load tested. Replace both batteries if only one is bad or the other weak one will pull the new battery all the way down quickly. Do as above and clean your terminals. Also your starter solenoid is mounted on the passenger side wall just above your wheel well. Take a screwdriver and short across both of those LARGE terminals. Make sure your vehicle is in park or neutral/ out of gear and the Ebrake is set. If it turns over strong after you short out the two large terminals on that solenoid then replace it. If you turn your key to run just before you start this test and it turns over it should start. Keep in mind that your Glow plugs turn on as soon as you turn the key on so have the hood up and know exaxtly where you are shorting across. If it seems slow or nothing at all then get those batteries fully charged and take them to your favorite place for purchasing batteries and have them load tested for free. Communist Wal Mart will do it for you also.
Dwayne
both batteries are brand new and are fully charged im taking it back up autozone now to see if the started they sold me is good

Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,886 Likes on 1,138 Posts
Originally Posted by meierw1
both batteries are brand new and are fully charged im taking it back up autozone now to see if the started they sold me is good
Check the old starter first! (also?) You don't HAVE to give it to them for core $$ if ya don't want to.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Something else that you can do that is free is to follow the grounds down the the front of the engine and make sure they are tight. There are two grounds. One on each side of the front of the engine.
Also make sure you wire brush your terminals down at the starter. Again that is free.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 PM
meierw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1fixitman
Something else that you can do that is free is to follow the grounds down the the front of the engine and make sure they are tight. There are two grounds. One on each side of the front of the engine.
Also make sure you wire brush your terminals down at the starter. Again that is free.
Just got back from autozone and the starter is good. Im gonna start checking connection and ill report back

Old 12-12-2012, 06:29 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Even though the positive leads LOOK good.....Take a sharp knife or the proper scraping tool for battery terminals and clean a thin layer off BOTH of the positive terminals. Use the tool that looks like this>
KD Tools Battery Terminal Cleaner

Last edited by 1fixitman; 12-12-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 PM
meierw1
Senior User
She's runnin now... The culprit was the starter seloniod on the passenger firewall. Thank you guys for the input. I was startin to get frustrated.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Glad you got it fixed. Good example of why a digital volt meter is good to have. It would have located your problem back in your first post.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by meierw1
She's runnin now... The culprit was the starter seloniod on the passenger firewall. Thank you guys for the input. I was startin to get frustrated.
So as not to confuse anyone the starter relay is on the passenger fender well of 1999-2001. It is in the underhood fuse box on 2002-2003.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced starter still just clicks... Help please.