1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2003 7.3 fuel level sensor (after market)

Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM
kweiss
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 7.3 fuel level sensor (after market)

So I managed to destroy my fuel level sensor located in the tank of my 2003 7.3 long bed dually.
I called Ford to identify and price another sensor and to my surprise the cost of the sensor that appears to have the float w/rod attached is worth more than the weight of gold when weighed ounce for ounce! My only thought for the cost of this device is that maybe they used actual silver for the sensor parts! Nearly 500 bux!

Just wondering if anybody else has a source for an after market in-tank fuel level sensor that works with the in-dash controls that is a little more durable than the OEM sensor.....

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not personally done it, but try pricing the cost of the same tank size(38 gallon on a long bed) but with a gas motor(You can purchase just the sender rather than the entire pickup), should be cheaper and will only require slight changes such as bolting(screwing) instead of rivoting.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:32 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ditto what Al said.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 PM
kweiss
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
I have not personally done it, but try pricing the cost of the same tank size(38 gallon on a long bed) but with a gas motor(You can purchase just the sender rather than the entire pickup), should be cheaper and will only require slight changes such as bolting(screwing) instead of rivoting.

The cost I have is just for the sender that has the float attached. It then snaps to the mixing chamber.
The sender and rod with a float is all you get for 425 bux before tax.....

Old 12-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Did you try www.tousleyford.com there a sponsor on here.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kweiss
The cost I have is just for the sender that has the float attached. It then snaps to the mixing chamber.
The sender and rod with a float is all you get for 425 bux before taxfuel.....
Did they give you a part number. If so post it.

Also ask them for the part number for a gasser with the same size tank.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 AM
kweiss
Freshman User
After pulling it up on the computer it appears the sensor comes with the mixing chamber but really all I need is the sensor but I guess you get a few other items that is not needed.. the number for the part can be found in the attachment as 9275....

2003 Ford F-350 Fuel Pump and Sender Assembly | FordParts.com Super Duty

Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
After pulling it up on the computer it appears the sensor comes with the mixing chamber but really all I need is the sensor but I guess you get a few other items that is not needed.. the number for the part can be found in the attachment as 9275....

2003 Ford F-350 Fuel Pump and Sender Assembly | FordParts.com Super Duty
The part in the link is the whole assembly (Fuel Sender) including a FUEL PUMP, which means it is for a gasser. The diesels do not have a fuel pump in the tank. What you need is the Fuel Level Sender.

This is the best pick I have. It shows the back of the bracket that the fuel level sender mounts to. This is for a diesel and the fuel level sender is riveted to the bracket. A gasser fuel level sender can be mounted here by drilling out the rivets and using screws or nuts and bolts.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 PM
kweiss
Freshman User
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
The part in the link is the whole assembly (Fuel Sender) including a FUEL PUMP, which means it is for a gasser. The diesels do not have a fuel pump in the tank. What you need is the Fuel Level Sender.

This is the best pick I have. It shows the back of the bracket that the fuel level sender mounts to. This is for a diesel and the fuel level sender is riveted to the bracket. A gasser fuel level sender can be mounted here by drilling out the rivets and using screws or nuts and bolts.

Yup...that is exactly what I took in to the dealer and showed what I needed and he quoted that much for the sending unit. The attachment link I sent looks as though its sold with the mixing chamber attached. SO maybe the fella I spoke to was loooking at the wrong thing.
Guess I need to check the price on the gas guy and see if its any cheaper like you guys mentioned....it must be sold with out the mix chamber possibly.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Yup...that is exactly what I took in to the dealer and showed what I needed and he quoted that much for the sending unit. The attachment link I sent looks as though its sold with the mixing chamber attached. SO maybe the fella I spoke to was loooking at the wrong thing.
Guess I need to check the price on the gas guy and see if its any cheaper like you guys mentioned....it must be sold with out the mix chamber possibly.
You should be able to just get the fuel LEVEL sender. The reason the price is so high on what he pulled up is because it is the whole assembly for a gasser with Fuel Pump.

Check this LINK. It shows separate fuel LEVEL senders for gassers and the whole fuel sending units for the diesel. Noter: there are both midship and after axle tank fuel level senders or whole fuel sending units (diesel).

You can use the info and/or the enlarged pics to show a Ford parts guy.