Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Freshman User

kweiss is starting off with a positive reputation.
2003 7.3 fuel level sensor (after market)

So I managed to destroy my fuel level sensor located in the tank of my 2003 7.3 long bed dually.
I called Ford to identify and price another sensor and to my surprise the cost of the sensor that appears to have the float w/rod attached is worth more than the weight of gold when weighed ounce for ounce! My only thought for the cost of this device is that maybe they used actual silver for the sensor parts! Nearly 500 bux!

Just wondering if anybody else has a source for an after market in-tank fuel level sensor that works with the in-dash controls that is a little more durable than the OEM sensor.....

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
I have not personally done it, but try pricing the cost of the same tank size(38 gallon on a long bed) but with a gas motor(You can purchase just the sender rather than the entire pickup), should be cheaper and will only require slight changes such as bolting(screwing) instead of rivoting.

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...300,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Ditto what Al said.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD View Post
I have not personally done it, but try pricing the cost of the same tank size(38 gallon on a long bed) but with a gas motor(You can purchase just the sender rather than the entire pickup), should be cheaper and will only require slight changes such as bolting(screwing) instead of rivoting.

The cost I have is just for the sender that has the float attached. It then snaps to the mixing chamber.
The sender and rod with a float is all you get for 425 bux before tax.....
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Postmaster

Pitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud of
Did you try www.tousleyford.com there a sponsor on here.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Posting Guru

dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter.Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline wix (33007 or 33972) filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump & two 12v 36" heaters. July of 2013-265/75/16 E range BW Michelin.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweiss View Post
The cost I have is just for the sender that has the float attached. It then snaps to the mixing chamber.
The sender and rod with a float is all you get for 425 bux before taxfuel.....
Did they give you a part number. If so post it.

Also ask them for the part number for a gasser with the same size tank.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Freshman User

After pulling it up on the computer it appears the sensor comes with the mixing chamber but really all I need is the sensor but I guess you get a few other items that is not needed.. the number for the part can be found in the attachment as 9275....

2003 Ford F-350 Fuel Pump and Sender Assembly | FordParts.com Super Duty
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Support FTE

Quote:
After pulling it up on the computer it appears the sensor comes with the mixing chamber but really all I need is the sensor but I guess you get a few other items that is not needed.. the number for the part can be found in the attachment as 9275....

2003 Ford F-350 Fuel Pump and Sender Assembly | FordParts.com Super Duty
The part in the link is the whole assembly (Fuel Sender) including a FUEL PUMP, which means it is for a gasser. The diesels do not have a fuel pump in the tank. What you need is the Fuel Level Sender.

This is the best pick I have. It shows the back of the bracket that the fuel level sender mounts to. This is for a diesel and the fuel level sender is riveted to the bracket. A gasser fuel level sender can be mounted here by drilling out the rivets and using screws or nuts and bolts.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD View Post
The part in the link is the whole assembly (Fuel Sender) including a FUEL PUMP, which means it is for a gasser. The diesels do not have a fuel pump in the tank. What you need is the Fuel Level Sender.

This is the best pick I have. It shows the back of the bracket that the fuel level sender mounts to. This is for a diesel and the fuel level sender is riveted to the bracket. A gasser fuel level sender can be mounted here by drilling out the rivets and using screws or nuts and bolts.

Click the image to open in full size.
Yup...that is exactly what I took in to the dealer and showed what I needed and he quoted that much for the sending unit. The attachment link I sent looks as though its sold with the mixing chamber attached. SO maybe the fella I spoke to was loooking at the wrong thing.
Guess I need to check the price on the gas guy and see if its any cheaper like you guys mentioned....it must be sold with out the mix chamber possibly.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Support FTE

Quote:
Yup...that is exactly what I took in to the dealer and showed what I needed and he quoted that much for the sending unit. The attachment link I sent looks as though its sold with the mixing chamber attached. SO maybe the fella I spoke to was loooking at the wrong thing.
Guess I need to check the price on the gas guy and see if its any cheaper like you guys mentioned....it must be sold with out the mix chamber possibly.
You should be able to just get the fuel LEVEL sender. The reason the price is so high on what he pulled up is because it is the whole assembly for a gasser with Fuel Pump.

Check this LINK. It shows separate fuel LEVEL senders for gassers and the whole fuel sending units for the diesel. Noter: there are both midship and after axle tank fuel level senders or whole fuel sending units (diesel).

You can use the info and/or the enlarged pics to show a Ford parts guy.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM