Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM
kweiss kweiss is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 39
kweiss is starting off with a positive reputation.
2003 7.3 fuel level sensor (after market)

So I managed to destroy my fuel level sensor located in the tank of my 2003 7.3 long bed dually.
I called Ford to identify and price another sensor and to my surprise the cost of the sensor that appears to have the float w/rod attached is worth more than the weight of gold when weighed ounce for ounce! My only thought for the cost of this device is that maybe they used actual silver for the sensor parts! Nearly 500 bux!

Just wondering if anybody else has a source for an after market in-tank fuel level sensor that works with the in-dash controls that is a little more durable than the OEM sensor.....

Thanks,
Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM
BigAlsPSD's Avatar
BigAlsPSD BigAlsPSD is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pea Ridge, AR
Posts: 5,433
BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
I have not personally done it, but try pricing the cost of the same tank size(38 gallon on a long bed) but with a gas motor(You can purchase just the sender rather than the entire pickup), should be cheaper and will only require slight changes such as bolting(screwing) instead of rivoting.
__________________

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...300,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM
PaysonPSD's Avatar
PaysonPSD PaysonPSD is offline
Support FTE
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Payson, AZ
Posts: 9,549
PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Ditto what Al said.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM
kweiss kweiss is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 39
kweiss is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD View Post
I have not personally done it, but try pricing the cost of the same tank size(38 gallon on a long bed) but with a gas motor(You can purchase just the sender rather than the entire pickup), should be cheaper and will only require slight changes such as bolting(screwing) instead of rivoting.

The cost I have is just for the sender that has the float attached. It then snaps to the mixing chamber.
The sender and rod with a float is all you get for 425 bux before tax.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Pitcrw6's Avatar
Pitcrw6 Pitcrw6 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 3,541
Pitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud of
Did you try www.tousleyford.com there a sponsor on here.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-12-2012, 05:38 PM
dn29626's Avatar
dn29626 dn29626 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,406
dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.
..........
__________________
David Norwood. 2001 F350 7.3 DI CC dually purchased new.
Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter.Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline wix (33007 or 33972) filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump & two 12v 36" heaters. July of 2013-265/75/16 E range BW Michelin.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 PM
PaysonPSD's Avatar
PaysonPSD PaysonPSD is offline
Support FTE
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Payson, AZ
Posts: 9,549
PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweiss View Post
The cost I have is just for the sender that has the float attached. It then snaps to the mixing chamber.
The sender and rod with a float is all you get for 425 bux before taxfuel.....
Did they give you a part number. If so post it.

Also ask them for the part number for a gasser with the same size tank.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 AM
kweiss kweiss is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 39
kweiss is starting off with a positive reputation.
After pulling it up on the computer it appears the sensor comes with the mixing chamber but really all I need is the sensor but I guess you get a few other items that is not needed.. the number for the part can be found in the attachment as 9275....

2003 Ford F-350 Fuel Pump and Sender Assembly | FordParts.com Super Duty
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 PM
PaysonPSD's Avatar
PaysonPSD PaysonPSD is offline
Support FTE
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Payson, AZ
Posts: 9,549
PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweiss View Post
After pulling it up on the computer it appears the sensor comes with the mixing chamber but really all I need is the sensor but I guess you get a few other items that is not needed.. the number for the part can be found in the attachment as 9275....

2003 Ford F-350 Fuel Pump and Sender Assembly | FordParts.com Super Duty
The part in the link is the whole assembly (Fuel Sender) including a FUEL PUMP, which means it is for a gasser. The diesels do not have a fuel pump in the tank. What you need is the Fuel Level Sender.

This is the best pick I have. It shows the back of the bracket that the fuel level sender mounts to. This is for a diesel and the fuel level sender is riveted to the bracket. A gasser fuel level sender can be mounted here by drilling out the rivets and using screws or nuts and bolts.

Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-13-2012, 01:15 PM
kweiss kweiss is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 39
kweiss is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD View Post
The part in the link is the whole assembly (Fuel Sender) including a FUEL PUMP, which means it is for a gasser. The diesels do not have a fuel pump in the tank. What you need is the Fuel Level Sender.

This is the best pick I have. It shows the back of the bracket that the fuel level sender mounts to. This is for a diesel and the fuel level sender is riveted to the bracket. A gasser fuel level sender can be mounted here by drilling out the rivets and using screws or nuts and bolts.

Click the image to open in full size.
Yup...that is exactly what I took in to the dealer and showed what I needed and he quoted that much for the sending unit. The attachment link I sent looks as though its sold with the mixing chamber attached. SO maybe the fella I spoke to was loooking at the wrong thing.
Guess I need to check the price on the gas guy and see if its any cheaper like you guys mentioned....it must be sold with out the mix chamber possibly.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM
PaysonPSD's Avatar
PaysonPSD PaysonPSD is offline
Support FTE
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Payson, AZ
Posts: 9,549
PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweiss View Post
Yup...that is exactly what I took in to the dealer and showed what I needed and he quoted that much for the sending unit. The attachment link I sent looks as though its sold with the mixing chamber attached. SO maybe the fella I spoke to was loooking at the wrong thing.
Guess I need to check the price on the gas guy and see if its any cheaper like you guys mentioned....it must be sold with out the mix chamber possibly.
You should be able to just get the fuel LEVEL sender. The reason the price is so high on what he pulled up is because it is the whole assembly for a gasser with Fuel Pump.

Check this LINK. It shows separate fuel LEVEL senders for gassers and the whole fuel sending units for the diesel. Noter: there are both midship and after axle tank fuel level senders or whole fuel sending units (diesel).

You can use the info and/or the enlarged pics to show a Ford parts guy.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fuel level sensor issue rikkorivera 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 8 04-03-2014 08:33 AM
Oops! Lost cardboard cap in fuel tank :( His/Hers 6.0s 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 9 01-14-2013 08:25 AM
K&N contaminates sensors? kevin.ford-trucks Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air 43 05-17-2009 03:16 PM
Coolant sensor leaking, what is the sensor? dougsbart 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 9 11-23-2008 12:12 PM
Additive Comparison CheaperJeeper Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) 38 11-23-2006 12:56 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
fuel float, fuel sensor, fuel tank level

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up »





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup