Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Boost-a-pump help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boost-a-pump help needed!

I was going to the pool today and my truck started sputtering, then I smelled that awful smell of burning electrical....
This is in my 2000 Excursion with a V10 that is Whipple Supercharged. I spent a while crawling under the hood with a flashlight, and under the dash trying to find that smell. Finally I got under the truck on the ice and snow, and got a stron wiff near the frame rail, and there the "boost a pump" controller has fresh black goo running out of it... And that was definitely the source of the smell.
So... Where do I find one?

Thanks in advance!

Garry in Kodiak, Alaska

Old 12-12-2012, 02:25 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff at Whipple hooked me up with all factory drawings of the Boost-a-pump wiring for the Ford V-10, then told me exactally which wires to disconnect and the plug into different spots to place the fuel pump back in factory operation mode. Bypassing the Boost-a-pump module. Told me to drive it, but keep off the hard throttle runs till the new module gets reconnected.

KUDOS to Jeff and Whipple for great tech support and a finely engineered set-up that has built in plugs for just such emergencies!!

Hope this can help others out there!!

PS, for the Supercharger crowd...

If I want to get rid of the Boost-a-pump set up and go with a larger pump, what is involved with that process? Any body do this with the Whipple Kits?

Thanks Again!!
Garry in Kodiak, Alaska

Old 12-13-2012, 12:44 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Nice to see a follow up post!

Stewart

Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM
jayz66ragtop
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garryk6

PS, for the Supercharger crowd...

If I want to get rid of the Boost-a-pump set up and go with a larger pump, what is involved with that process? Any body do this with the Whipple Kits?

Thanks Again!!
Garry in Kodiak, Alaska

Really only have a couple of choices.

Choices
1. Boost-a-pump
2. Large enough in line pump
3. dual pumps

Honestly the for a street driven the boost-a-pump is probably the best one. The issue with options 2 and 3 are the fuel get circulated over and over since our fuel systems are a return type. So any "excess" volume just gets sent back to the tank and in the process heats up. Rinse and repeat so eventually the fuel gets hot in the tank which then flows through the pump causing it to heat up which heats the fuel even more and so on... That's why for a street driven vehicle the boost-a-pump is a good solution, as it's demand based.

This site gives a pretty good description of the different options:

Kenne Bell Boost A Pump