1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Newbie enjoying FTE and my 53 F100

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Dingo67
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie enjoying FTE and my 53 F100

I've been on FTE for a few weeks and must say this is the encyclopedia Britannica of Ford trucks. A little about me. I'm a retired Bomb Technician from a New Jersey Sheriff's Dept. I built Harley's for a hobby for about 20 years and did a few Hot Rods in my youth. About 4 1/2 months ago my wife and myself were in a pretty bad accident returning from Sturgis and totalled my 2003 F350 Super Duty, trailer and 2 bikes not to mention I broke my back. Had emergency surgery 1000 miles from home and add two rods and 9 screws to my back and 3 plates and 6 screws to my neck. My wife fared much better and saved the day by taking control of the situation. (It pays to stay in shape) Luckily I had good insurance on all vehicles and they were replaced except the F350. Instead I picked up the 53 which is in decent shape but, needs a little TLC and a 2000 F250. For 4 months I recovered and read as much about the 53-55 on here as I could. 2 weeks ago the Dr. gave the OK to start getting back to a normal life so, I jumped all over the 53. I still have quite a bit of pain but, pain is life and if you don't have some sort of pain your probably dead or really lucky.

Now for the truck. The original owner a very nice older gent said it has the following: A 72 Plymouth Fury torsion bar front end with power discs. 302 out of a 68 Mustang that he put a RV cam in for fuel mileage. A C-6 trans. Vintage A/C. Tilt steering out of an 80 Monte Carlo. 8" rear with 2.79 gears out of a Mustang which I think he is mistaken since I've never seen an 8" that big. I think he meant 8.8. Power windows and fairly new interior unfortunately vinyl. I say that since I now live in Arizona and at 115 degrees vinyl is NG. Stewart Warner mechanical gauges in faux wood cluster. Grant faux wood steering wheel. Front tilt hood setup.

What I have done in the last 2 weeks. Put my show bike up for sale to pay for the trucks needs. Replaced the make shift rag joint with a Borgensen. Replaced the mechanical oil (was leaking inside on new carpet) and temp gauges with electric. Replaced the faux wood cluster with cast aluminium powder coated satin black. Replaced the faux wood steering wheel with a satin black grant. Replaced the bench seat with buckets from a 99 Suburban. Replaced the homemade console / stereo mount with a Smittybilt security / stereo console for a Jeep CJ-7. Replaced the behind the seat speaker boxes by fabbing kick panel mounts and adding grills out of an 88 f150 that I painted to match the interior. I've been toiling over the wiring since it is a mess and totally unacceptable to me. After building bike I picked up a bad case of OCD when it comes to wiring. It must be unseen, soldered, heat shrinked and have enough connectors for easy removal and replacement of what ever it controls. I have at least a week or 2 left on that. (it really is a mess)

Future plans if I get enough money from bike sale: Replace motor with a Blue Print 347. Replace 3 belt setup with serpentine. Replace radiator and fan with aluminium cross flow and electric fans. Replace trans with an AOD and Lokar floor shift. Depending on what the rear is in it either rebuild it with a posi unit and 3.50 or 3.70 gears or replace it with a 9" with the same. Repaint in a few years since the dark green shows the desert dust an hour after I wipe it down I'm thinking silver with satin black accents. Redo the interior in charcoal and silver in memory of my F350.(God I miss that truck)

I plan on posting pictures of my progress when possible as I finish things to my expectations.

I would like to thank all the people on FTE that have made this project easier and hope I can return the favor and also help future enthusiasts. If anybody needs help or parts please feel free to ask anytime if I have it and don't need it it's yours.

Thank you all
Joe AKA "Dingo"

Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Carolina 52
Senior User
Sorry about your troubles Joe but it sounds like it has brought you to a good place in life to where you are willing to help others all you can. Paying it forward is what keeps everybody coming back and hanging around. I know you have a good looking ride now and a solid plan for your build. Good Luck.
These trucks are good therapy.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Dingo67
Junior User
Thanks Kevin, Paying it forward and good therapy is making things alot easier. The truck looks good in pictures but, up close it needs alot of love and I have plenty for it. Bikes got me through work, now it's time for something new.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Daveyj
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't wait to see this truck, and the work you will put into it.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:09 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Good solid plan. Good quality time with the truck. Things are looking up, yes?

Oh - pictures!