6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2004 F250 6.0 Rough Idle, Loses Power When Hot

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 PM
ten.mile
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F250 6.0 Rough Idle, Loses Power When Hot

I’m hoping someone/s can help me find a starting place that make the most sense with my problem. I posted this message on another forum but I received a suggestion to post on this forum. Thank you for any suggestions!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Problem
· I have a 2004 F250 with the 6.0 diesel engine. I’ve owned the truck for two years with no problems other than routine maintenance and repairs. The truck has been a pleasure to drive and a good work truck.
· Last week I made a 35 mile trip with no problems, the truck performed great as usually. Long story made short I now drive a school bus for this year to make some cash and only drive the truck once or so a week. This week I was going to make a short trip and noticed when I started the truck it had a very slight rough idle. But as a drove the truck and the engine temperature increase to normal range the idle became very rough and I had no power. I turned around and headed home.
· I next day I checked all the fluids, belts dash indicators but found no problems. So I started the truck up, it started fine, no smoke and had a smooth idle. So I took it down the road and again it started idling rough and lost power as it heated up. If I press the accelerator pedal down it slowly builds up speed and then will take off with plenty of power. I let off the accelerator off at 85 and it ran very rough for 1 minute or so.
· I had a one fourth of a tank fuel so I added Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner and filled up. I then when home and changed both fuel filters with Motor Craft parts. When online and read about the EGR. I took the EGR out and cleaned it which it needed. The then took the truck down the road. Again as the engine reached normal temperature it idle became rough and I lost power. I left the truck running and started looking around the engine. After a few minutes the engine stopped and would not start. I found depending on the time I let the engine cool it would be hard to start if I only waited 5 or 10 minutes or if I wait 60 minutes it starts and runs fine for a period of time.
<o:p></o:p>
Truck
· Ford F250 2004 Lariat Super Duty
· Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel FX4 Off Road
· Trailer towing package
· 6.0L V8 Diesel
· 5-speed diesel automatic transmission
· 3.73 ratio limited slip axle
· 114, 000 miles
· Shell RotellaT SAE 15W-40 oil with Lucas Oil stabilizer added
Symptoms
· Appears to be heat related
· Engine idles and runs fine when cold
· As engine temperature rises the idle become rough and engine loses power and will die.
· If engine is turned off when warm it may or may not start. If the engine starts if may idle rough and may have reduced power.
· No large amount of smoke is noticed
· No engine code errors when using a simple diagnostics tool
Attempts to Resolve Problem to Date
· Added Lucas Injector Cleaner and filled fuel tank
· Changed both fuel filters
· Cleaned EGR
· Checked all fluids, belts and no instrument lights on at dash
I spent a few hours online and found many things to check and the more I read the more I was overwhelmed by the causes. So far it appears my problem could be one or more of the following:
· IPC
· IPR
· HPOP
· FICM
· posts on wire harness coverings and chamfers
· CKP
· CMP

Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM
RideDiesel88
Senior User
I was gunna say FICM. Im leanin toward HPOP when u said the engine stopped! symptoms usually occur when warm. Check voltage codes ect.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:32 PM
ten.mile
New User
Thanks for the HPOP suggestion, I will begin reading on how to test. It appears I need a diagnostics tool that will work with diesel engines and log data as well. I do not know much about this tools so I wanted to ask. I could take truck to dealership to have codes read but I think it will be around $100 but their tool maybe alot better than what I would buy. So my questions are:

Is a Ford Dealership diagnostic tool worth the $100?
Is it better to pay $200-$300 for a diagnostics tool to have available?
If its better to buy a diagnostics tool which brand and model to the best?

Thanks to all!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ten.mile
Thanks for the HPOP suggestion, I will begin reading on how to test. It appears I need a diagnostics tool that will work with diesel engines and log data as well. I do not know much about this tools so I wanted to ask. I could take truck to dealership to have codes read but I think it will be around $100 but their tool maybe alot better than what I would buy. So my questions are:

Is a Ford Dealership diagnostic tool worth the $100?
Is it better to pay $200-$300 for a diagnostics tool to have available?
If its better to buy a diagnostics tool which brand and model to the best?

Thanks to all!
You can get Auto Engineuity from RiffRaff Diesel, which is an advanced software program for ~$350 that will allow you to read everything the PCM reads, but you really need a laptop for it. It's not as advanced as Ford IDS but it's very very good.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:34 PM
Gabriel Medina
New User
Originally Posted by ten.mile
I’m hoping someone/s can help me find a starting place that make the most sense with my problem. I posted this message on another forum but I received a suggestion to post on this forum. Thank you for any suggestions!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Problem
· I have a 2004 F250 with the 6.0 diesel engine. I’ve owned the truck for two years with no problems other than routine maintenance and repairs. The truck has been a pleasure to drive and a good work truck.
· Last week I made a 35 mile trip with no problems, the truck performed great as usually. Long story made short I now drive a school bus for this year to make some cash and only drive the truck once or so a week. This week I was going to make a short trip and noticed when I started the truck it had a very slight rough idle. But as a drove the truck and the engine temperature increase to normal range the idle became very rough and I had no power. I turned around and headed home.
· I next day I checked all the fluids, belts dash indicators but found no problems. So I started the truck up, it started fine, no smoke and had a smooth idle. So I took it down the road and again it started idling rough and lost power as it heated up. If I press the accelerator pedal down it slowly builds up speed and then will take off with plenty of power. I let off the accelerator off at 85 and it ran very rough for 1 minute or so.
· I had a one fourth of a tank fuel so I added Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner and filled up. I then when home and changed both fuel filters with Motor Craft parts. When online and read about the EGR. I took the EGR out and cleaned it which it needed. The then took the truck down the road. Again as the engine reached normal temperature it idle became rough and I lost power. I left the truck running and started looking around the engine. After a few minutes the engine stopped and would not start. I found depending on the time I let the engine cool it would be hard to start if I only waited 5 or 10 minutes or if I wait 60 minutes it starts and runs fine for a period of time.
<o></o>
Truck
· Ford F250 2004 Lariat Super Duty
· Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel FX4 Off Road
· Trailer towing package
· 6.0L V8 Diesel
· 5-speed diesel automatic transmission
· 3.73 ratio limited slip axle
· 114, 000 miles
· Shell RotellaT SAE 15W-40 oil with Lucas Oil stabilizer added
<o></o>
Symptoms
· Appears to be heat related
· Engine idles and runs fine when cold
· As engine temperature rises the idle become rough and engine loses power and will die.
· If engine is turned off when warm it may or may not start. If the engine starts if may idle rough and may have reduced power.
· No large amount of smoke is noticed
· No engine code errors when using a simple diagnostics tool
<o></o>
Attempts to Resolve Problem to Date
· Added Lucas Injector Cleaner and filled fuel tank
· Changed both fuel filters
· Cleaned EGR
· Checked all fluids, belts and no instrument lights on at dash
<o></o>
I spent a few hours online and found many things to check and the more I read the more I was overwhelmed by the causes. So far it appears my problem could be one or more of the following:
· IPC
· IPR
· HPOP
· FICM
· posts on wire harness coverings and chamfers
· CKP
· CMP
Did you ever fixed the problem?