Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 PM
New User

ten.mile is starting off with a positive reputation.
2004 F250 6.0 Rough Idle, Loses Power When Hot

Iím hoping someone/s can help me find a starting place that make the most sense with my problem. I posted this message on another forum but I received a suggestion to post on this forum. Thank you for any suggestions!

Problem
I have a 2004 F250 with the 6.0 diesel engine. Iíve owned the truck for two years with no problems other than routine maintenance and repairs. The truck has been a pleasure to drive and a good work truck.
Last week I made a 35 mile trip with no problems, the truck performed great as usually. Long story made short I now drive a school bus for this year to make some cash and only drive the truck once or so a week. This week I was going to make a short trip and noticed when I started the truck it had a very slight rough idle. But as a drove the truck and the engine temperature increase to normal range the idle became very rough and I had no power. I turned around and headed home.
I next day I checked all the fluids, belts dash indicators but found no problems. So I started the truck up, it started fine, no smoke and had a smooth idle. So I took it down the road and again it started idling rough and lost power as it heated up. If I press the accelerator pedal down it slowly builds up speed and then will take off with plenty of power. I let off the accelerator off at 85 and it ran very rough for 1 minute or so.
I had a one fourth of a tank fuel so I added Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner and filled up. I then when home and changed both fuel filters with Motor Craft parts. When online and read about the EGR. I took the EGR out and cleaned it which it needed. The then took the truck down the road. Again as the engine reached normal temperature it idle became rough and I lost power. I left the truck running and started looking around the engine. After a few minutes the engine stopped and would not start. I found depending on the time I let the engine cool it would be hard to start if I only waited 5 or 10 minutes or if I wait 60 minutes it starts and runs fine for a period of time.

Truck
Ford F250 2004 Lariat Super Duty
Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel FX4 Off Road
Trailer towing package
6.0L V8 Diesel
5-speed diesel automatic transmission
3.73 ratio limited slip axle
114, 000 miles
Shell RotellaT SAE 15W-40 oil with Lucas Oil stabilizer added

Symptoms
Appears to be heat related
Engine idles and runs fine when cold
As engine temperature rises the idle become rough and engine loses power and will die.
If engine is turned off when warm it may or may not start. If the engine starts if may idle rough and may have reduced power.
No large amount of smoke is noticed
No engine code errors when using a simple diagnostics tool

Attempts to Resolve Problem to Date
Added Lucas Injector Cleaner and filled fuel tank
Changed both fuel filters
Cleaned EGR
Checked all fluids, belts and no instrument lights on at dash

I spent a few hours online and found many things to check and the more I read the more I was overwhelmed by the causes. So far it appears my problem could be one or more of the following:
IPC
IPR
HPOP
FICM
posts on wire harness coverings and chamfers
CKP
CMP
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Senior User

RideDiesel88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I was gunna say FICM. Im leanin toward HPOP when u said the engine stopped! symptoms usually occur when warm. Check voltage codes ect.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:32 PM
New User

ten.mile is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the HPOP suggestion, I will begin reading on how to test. It appears I need a diagnostics tool that will work with diesel engines and log data as well. I do not know much about this tools so I wanted to ask. I could take truck to dealership to have codes read but I think it will be around $100 but their tool maybe alot better than what I would buy. So my questions are:

Is a Ford Dealership diagnostic tool worth the $100?
Is it better to pay $200-$300 for a diagnostics tool to have available?
If its better to buy a diagnostics tool which brand and model to the best?

Thanks to all!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten.mile View Post
Thanks for the HPOP suggestion, I will begin reading on how to test. It appears I need a diagnostics tool that will work with diesel engines and log data as well. I do not know much about this tools so I wanted to ask. I could take truck to dealership to have codes read but I think it will be around $100 but their tool maybe alot better than what I would buy. So my questions are:

Is a Ford Dealership diagnostic tool worth the $100?
Is it better to pay $200-$300 for a diagnostics tool to have available?
If its better to buy a diagnostics tool which brand and model to the best?

Thanks to all!
You can get Auto Engineuity from RiffRaff Diesel, which is an advanced software program for ~$350 that will allow you to read everything the PCM reads, but you really need a laptop for it. It's not as advanced as Ford IDS but it's very very good.

Rest in peace Mojo. My friend and faithful companion you shall ever be.

Tim
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel