1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with coolant leak on my 2006 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 PM
rodeomanrides
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with coolant leak on my 2006 6.0

Yet again another question / problem on the 6.0... Here a few weeks ago the weather got dramatically colder one night so I added a gallon of Ford Gold antifreeze to make sure the mix was sufficient to stand a few hours below freezing. A few days later i noticed a pretty constant drip of coolant coming from the passenger side of the motor above the starter. I have read several posts here regarding this problem and all pointed to the blue hose. I parked the truck for a few weeks and monitored the drip by catching it in a cup. Its clean antifreeze / water mix. Yesterday, I drove the truck a few miles and stopped for diesel and noticed it was pouring out of the truck at a pretty good rate. drove it home and parked it and put a bucket under it to catch it...probably caught a little less than a quart. i have no idea where this is coming from. BTW still dripping today although at a much slower rate. I have examined everything I can see. Pulled the EGR valve and its dry in the intake, no water in the oil and no oil in the coolant, no smoke from the tailpipe. Freeze plug maybe???? Im at my wits end and any advise would help. thanks

Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There are several hoses located above where you are seeing the leak. Check the 2 hoses leading to the heater. Look closely since any leak will be on the bottom of those hoses.

If the heater hoses are dry, take a strong flashlight and look at the area under your turbo. If you see coolant there, look closer and locate an orange (or maybe blue) colored hose under the turbo. The hose is about 2" long. this is a possible leaker.

If no leaks found, look toward the front of the engine at the hoses connected to the thermostat. A leak could be blown back by the fan.

One of these locations is probably your leak point. Take some time, use a strong light, and you will find it. Post your results here and the helpful folk will give you the easiest method to fix that leak.

Lou Braun

Old 12-11-2012, 06:00 PM
rodeomanrides
New User
Thanks lou. I spent the entire today today trying to track down that leak both from the top side and under the truck. i checked the blue hose on the EGR and the heater hoses...both dry however there is moisture in the valley but not a considerable amount and it looks mostly like oil residue. I layed under the truck below the starter and watched drip after drip slowly develop behind the starter. I have pretty much ruled out anything from the front of the motor because it has sat in the driveway for going on 3 weeks and no leaks are in the area towards the front. Yesterday when i drove it about 2 miles and stopped to get fuel it was steadly running out coolant in the same area above the starter.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:57 AM
kxw2x2
New User
Antifreeze leak

Your leak sounds the same as my 2004 6.0L F250. My truck spent a week at the local Ford dealer. They added dye to the antifreeze and are telling me that it is coming from the head gasket and said they will have to pull the engine to fix it. Approx $2500 to fix so for now it sits. What did you find out about your leak?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:42 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A pressure test is the best way to induce a leak in order to find it quickly. Keep in mind when it gets this cold its very common for a loose connection or hose clamp to show its self due to the extreme shrinkage caused by the thermal contraction. Cold soak is usually when a slightly loose connection will rear its ugly head and leak. Its more common for a head gasket to leak when the engine is at temp with pressure on the cooling system depending on where the leak is located and this rule doesn't always apply. Again pressure test.