1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me out of it........

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 PM
txtruckin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk me out of it........

I have been seriously thinking about trading the truck in my signature in on a Cadillac escalade ESV. For the better ride, better fuel mileage, and easier parking lol. My truck only has 35,962 miles, so find a way to talk me out of it guys! Before the deed is done.......

Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
Will you need a new camper too? Personally, I wouldn't buy a dog house from Generic Motors . It's up to you.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 PM
davidzog
Mountain Pass
DO NOT DO IT......

seriously, I had a 2007Escalade Ext and hated it from about the 2 nd week I owned it. It is by far the most over rated vehicle I ever owned.. I kept it five months and traded it for my super duty.

It had the 6.2 L gas engine and constantly was down shifting on the slightest hill. I towed a utility trailer with a Kawasaki Mule (1400 pounds) and the damm thing struggled all the time. With the air suspension, it wallowed like crazy when towing anything.

The seats were not any more comfortable than the ones in my lariat super duty and the mpg was about the same as I get with my 5.4.

It is nothing more than a fancy tajoe or suburban that is way over stated and way over priced.

Then there is the massive depreciation....worse than most vehicles since they are over priced to start with....ugh.

If you want to dump you truck, that is ok, but save youself a hellofalot of aggrivation and disappointment and but ANYTHING but and Escalade.

There, did that help????

Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GM = junk. or Got Mechanic? That high maintenance soccer mom ride cant pull anything! It cant be that hard to park an F250.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 PM
davidzog
Mountain Pass
I should add the rediculous cost of replacement parts....i thought the rear air shocks might be bad since it wallowed all the time. I went to a cadillac dealership and they wanted $1600 for two shocks....that was with my son's GM discount.

But the mechanic said mine were fine...that it how they are...save me they money but still had the crappy ride....

Old 12-11-2012, 12:04 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
If you expect better mileage from it, dont. It wont get more than 2-3mpg better than your Superduty...

Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 AM
redford
Received 1,560 Likes on 908 Posts
Why would you want an Escalade? What are you compensating for?

Old 12-11-2012, 07:27 AM
I.B. Washincars
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I know a V10 is a gas hog, but seriously, how much money do you think you will save on gas? Your truck is 12 years old with 36K miles. You are only using about 10 tanks a year as it is. I don't know what your needs are, but mileage doesn't appear to be one of them. If the Caddy suits your needs better, buy it, but don't trade the SD in on it. A low mileage truck like yours should be an easy sell. You are the one that needs to cash in on it, not the dealer. Trading-in is always a losing proposition. Just my $.02.

On a side note. Does anyone else get a chuckle out of this truck having a 60 gallon aux tank?

Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 AM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by I.B. Washincars
On a side note. Does anyone else get a chuckle out of this truck having a 60 gallon aux tank?
With the light milage it has, he could be using the Aux tank and still burning gas from when it was under $2/gal!

Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Ok first, you'll have to change your screen name, 'cause you'll no longer be "truckin".

Second, what are you gonna do with that 5er?

Third, resale or trade in on your 12 yr old truck will be low, even with the really low miles you have on it. Truck is probably worth more than you'll be able to get for it.

Fourth, when you realize your mistake, the next truck you buy will have more miles on it than you're '01, unless you buy new.

And last, IT'S A GM!! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!! A shiny turd is still a turd.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
My neighbor had a 2004 F250 with the 6.0 he traded in on Chevy 1/2 ton becuase it didn't get him 20 mpg. This was his 2nd F250 since he totalled his 2000 F250. His truck did everything he needed to from towing his boat, hauling whatever he wanted, and getting him wherever he needed to go without any hesitation.

His truck averaged anywhere from 14-16 mpg and he asked what he could do to fix it. My advice was the Atlast 40 FICM tune (Ford took the nads from his truck when his FICM died) and a turbo back 4 inch exhaust. Instead, he drove home a Chevrolet 1/2 ton...

Well, not too long after having it, he hooks up his boat and throws the same load in the back of his "truck" and heads down the same road he drove with his F250 to the lake. The same hills his F250 pulled right up without a problem, his 1/2 ton was having trouble with. Constantly downshifting and requiring noticably more effort to do the things his F250 effortlessly did.

In his own words: "The truck is runs and drives well empty, just don't put a load behind it"

The long and short of it: My neighbor got the 20 mpg, "better ride", and newer truck with a warranty so he wouldn't have to fix it himself. But he lost a solid, capable, not to mention paid for truck that did whatever he needed it to without breaking a sweat.

To this day, he still misses his truck and always stares at my truck everytime I come over.

Just incase you haven't put two and two together, another true story:

A buddy of mine I worked with had a beautiful 2005 F250 CCSB he bought brand new in 2005. He saw my truck, I saw his, we got to talking trucks, and needless to say became good friends.

Well, one night while driving home, he made a left turn and his truck stalled out, died, and wouldn't restart. He had it towed to the Ford dealer and instead of fixing his paid for truck, he opted to trade it in on a 2010 F150. He did so since it was marketed to tow 10K and get good fuel economy when unloaded.

He came to work the next day and I went looking for his truck to see if he was here. I ran into him in the hallway and he gave me the run down. Our friendship really wasn't the same after.

Fast forward 6 months, I call him because he's having some computer issues and needs help. During some unexpected silence on the line, he sighs and says : "I miss my Powerstroke....that F150 don't get up and go like it did". I really wanted to ask him "What did you expect?!?" but I took the high road.

I talk to him again right before he quits and again, he misses his old truck and is now stuck with one he doesn't particularly care for after all.

Is it sinking in yet?

There was a user on FTE that was having some issues with his 2001 F250. It needed a little wrench time, but it was nothing a little time below the hood couldn't fix.

Instead of consulting his brothers on FTE and spending some time working on things, he chose to trade in his paid for F250 and get himself a 2010 F150. He used his F250 to tow and since Ford said that the 2010 F150 could tow 10K easily, he took the plunge.

4 months or so into it with the truck broken in, he hooks up his trailer and goes heads out on a road trip. He reports back a few days later in the form of a thread entitled: "I want my truck back".

The long and short of it: he goes back to the dealer only to find that his truck is long gone and didn't spend a few days on the lot before someone snatched it up. Don't know happened beyond that, but again I'm sure that he's stuck with a truck and payment he doesn't like....

Last one, hope it's sinking in by now....

Another user by the name of Boar-ral had a beautiful 2004 Excursion he ordered brand new. He drove it for a few months then for whatever strange reason decided he wanted an H2. He traded his Excursion on the H2 and again not long after regretted it due to the abysmal fuel economy of the H2.

Don't believe me? Read here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...es-people.html

The common denominator in all of these true stories is: regret. You see something new and shiny, your eyes get big, and you lose your mind just long enough to regret it.

Keep your truck and don't make their mistake....

Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Well, the OP hasn't replied back yet, so give him a chance to explain

I would pick another Ford product over a GM product any day, but that's just me.

I've been playing around with my Taurus SHO with the Ecoboost, and I can imagine that this thing would be pretty cool in an F150.

But then, it wouldn't pull no fiver

Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 AM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
When I first got horses, I would bum trailering space with friends. I later got a deal on a 2 horse bumper pull, but had nothing to tow it with. My neighbor was a car dealer, and took in an 87 Bronco in trade. I came home one day to find it parked in front of my trailer. I ended up buying it.

It would pull the trailer, but then I heard a horror story of another friend who flipped his Bronco pulling horses - short wheelbase and a load that likes to move around is a bad combination. So when I took a job in NM for a year, I took the Bronco out there, and bought the F150 (new) for towing the horses in SC. To remedy the shortcomings of the Bronco, the F150 was an extended cab with a longbed.

After my first wife was injured riding her horse, the trailer did not get much use, so we sold it. Since the F150 was so long, it was not really suitable for a daily driver, but it remains good for hauling stuff, pulling other trailers, etc.

This year I bought a light slide-in camper for the F150. It had a new mission in life. We enjoyed a few trips in it, but it did like to ride closer to 60 than 70. I took it across a scale one day and found I was about 400 lbs over my GVWR. Way under the GCWR, so I know the engine was up to the task, but the brakes and frame were getting a bit more stress.

Then I had the transmission blow when I was on a trip to Florida. Seeing as the camper was on it, I felt repair was my only option, even though the truck was 19 years old. I hated to pay that bill!

So now I have the camper on my new-to-me F250. Drives MUCH better all around.

So I keep going up in power and capacity - why would one think about downgrading and being left short? The small increase in gas milage will be overwhelmed by the new payments.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The op must not do much towing or hauling if he has such low miles and is worried about ride and parking ease. I wouldn't be caught dead in an escalade but by the sound of it he could use a smaller truck and not have any issues.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:52 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So do you get your purse before or after you buy it?

Quick Reply: Talk me out of it........