Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Freshman User

BumpDraft2007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Clutch Pack Replacement

Just had this replaced to cure the chatter and binding - sure hope it works. I thought I could still detect it there this morning.... 107,700 miles on my 2004 EB.

Got differeing opinions on whether I should leave it in 2WD or AWD. Does that make any difference from a wear stanpoint?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Posting Guru

r2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpDraft2007 View Post
Just had this replaced to cure the chatter and binding - sure hope it works. I thought I could still detect it there this morning.... 107,700 miles on my 2004 EB.

Got differeing opinions on whether I should leave it in 2WD or AWD. Does that make any difference from a wear stanpoint?
Ouch! Never cheap. When mine started to do something similar, I replaced the tranny filter and tranny fluid and added Slick 50. Problem eliminated shortly thereafter. Now at over 300k. Knock on wood!

Bob and better half
As my brother reminds me regularly... "Life is not a spectator sport."
2007 F-250, PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2 WD, 85k, coolant filter, DashBoss, 1999 Expedition 5.4 319k plus, 32' CrossRoads CrossTerrain 5th wheel Toy Hauler, 24' Chaparral Villain lll 598 ci
Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Postmaster

Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:

Are we talking about the transmission, transfer case or the differential(s)?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Freshman User

The limited slip diff. I am presuming that is not impacted by it being in AWD. Maybe I am mistaken there....
Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Postmaster

Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.
It should be alright in any selector position. You probably just need to add another dose of "Friction Modifier" to the gear oil. A traction locker can be dangerous in snow or icey conditions if it stays locked or wants to lock too early. It needs to be somewhat predictable.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Freshman User

ok that makes sense - i appreciate the help. had not thought of it that way. the service garage actually called me a while ago and asked it if was working ok. I said i noticed it still binding a bit. he explained that when they installed the clutch pack they do so w/ a small amount of lube on the parts then once installed they do the refill. might take a bit to work in the lube - no idea if he is pulling my leg. they said they used synthetic lube. also don't tow for first 500 miles. thanks again for the info.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Freshman User

300,000k?!?! wow you are my hero! i would love to keep mine that long. i am impressed!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Postmaster

When a new assembly is installed in a car or truck we had to drive it for about a half hour. Making tight circles or turns, both left and right in order to be certain the gear oil was into the clutch pack and all was working properly.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Posting Guru

r2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to beholdr2millers is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
300,000k?!?! wow you are my hero! i would love to keep mine that long. i am impressed!
Keep in mind it's a 99 Expy so I got a few more years on it. It was frwy driven for the first 6-7 years so that also helped.
I have only changed the plugs, all lubricants regularly as well as air filters and basic maintenance. I have always kept it at least 1/3 full of fuel and never have "burnt" out the fuel pump.
The best deal was the forever warranty from Kragen on brake pads. I have gone through about six sets for the price of one. Warranty no longer available. They can't believe it when I came back with receipts and all for another set.
I also wax and/or detail it regularly. A clean car is a happy car is for real.
Also, I did have to have the rear air shocks replaced a couple of years ago and replace the rubber fuel filler hose as it fell apart but that's it.
The old saying... take care of your buggy and they'll take care of you.

Bob and better half
As my brother reminds me regularly... "Life is not a spectator sport."
2007 F-250, PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2 WD, 85k, coolant filter, DashBoss, 1999 Expedition 5.4 319k plus, 32' CrossRoads CrossTerrain 5th wheel Toy Hauler, 24' Chaparral Villain lll 598 ci
Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Freshman User

Ok, so had the clutch pack replaced. Not sure they drove it around much, but I am noticing it is still making that chatter sound a bit on right turns. Will the lube make its way into the clutch over time? Sound like from what some folks are saying that is something of an issue - i.e., doing figure 8s, etc., to wokr it in. I have probably only gone 50 miles or so since the work was completed.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Postmaster

The clutch pack is usually installed dry or with a light oil and should be driven as described earlier to insure proper lubrication for nearly seamless operation. There might still be the occaisional snap or clunk in the dif. when turning either direction.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:08 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator