Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 PM
New User

Tucka is starting off with a positive reputation.
1960 F250 4x4 build thread and intro

Hi, I'm Tuck.

I'm an artist, welder, fabricator and recently hired as a Shop Teacher.

Growing up my father owned a '60 F-250. He owned a service sation in our home town- the truck was equipped with a hydra turn plow and he used to plow all of our neighbors and friends out in the winter... I used to love to ride with- I remember this truck was a MONSTER to a 6 year old kid. I can still hear the whine of the transmission gears and tires...

His truck had a 292, 17"? rims and was painted that dark green. I always thought it was metallic green... but I might have been wrong- havent been able to find any 60's with that color paint.

The truck I plan to restore is a 1960 F-250 4x4 that I picked up today. From what I can tell the original color under all of this spray paint on the outside is Black. It has 3 correct 16" split rims- the 4th is off something else. It has 4.55 gears-

Hoping to find some tall rims and some period correct rubber- I plan on restoring the chassis first and then locating a solid Texas body before April when I go down to the Lone Star Roundup.

I just picked it up tonight. Its pretty rough body wise but the drive train is all intact- along with some useable extra parts-

I'll post pics of my progress here as it unfolds.

Thanks,
Tuck

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 PM
I'll have the Roast Duck

havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Havi Proprietor
Oh boy!!!

Welcome, Tuck!
The rest are just average.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 PM
New User

same Havi from Duluth???
Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 PM
I'll have the Roast Duck

havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Havi Proprietor
...... same
Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 PM
New User

Hell yeah! Havi- I'm so damn excited I got this truck. I have a good running y-block to drop in it.

This thing came with a chris craft interceptor marine engine in the box- I need to figure out if its a 292 or 312... but regardless I'm pretty sure it has the high comp heads. Its complete with the crazy marine intake and side draft carters. Pretty cool...

I'm just gonna build this thing from the frame up- should be fun.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 PM
I'll have the Roast Duck

Havi Proprietor
Sweet!

BTW, my phone crashed, and I lost yer number. Mine's the same.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:48 PM
New User

texted ya- ;-)
Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Cool truck! I am a sucker for those old 4x4's....I have a '62...
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 12-08-2012, 11:11 PM
New User

Does anyone know where there is some good history on these pickups?

7200 GVW stamped in the glove box...- wondering if there is some info online for reading the codes-
Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Posting Guru

theodore/teddy has a very good reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a very good reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a very good reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a very good reputation on FTE.
First off welcome to FTE.
Post the info on your data plate and we will brake it down for you.
I would like to see that y-block. It sounds interesting, seen an article some where on a marine engine with twin turbos back in the day (Dang now i got to go find that).

1959 F250 4x4
Wally
Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Elder User

1952henry is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucka View Post
Hell yeah! Havi- I'm so damn excited I got this truck. I have a good running y-block to drop in it.

This thing came with a chris craft interceptor marine engine in the box- I need to figure out if its a 292 or 312... but regardless I'm pretty sure it has the high comp heads. Its complete with the crazy marine intake and side draft carters. Pretty cool...

I'm just gonna build this thing from the frame up- should be fun.
First off, welcome and nice pickup! Gotta love those old 3/4 ton 4x4s! Second, you will have to look at the main caps, if ECZ, then 'tis a 312. Other than measuring the bore and stroke, this is about the most fool proof way of knowing.

Gorebal warming, climate change, gorebal climate disruption. Repackaged crap is, well, still crap!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:41 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Moved to proper forum.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 12-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
X2 on wanting to know more on the Y-Block

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 12-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Elder User

thundersnow70 is starting off with a positive reputation.
welcome to fte tuck. love the truck, i have a 60 f250 4x4 also. nice to hear you made some memories with your old man in the old truck. thats what me and my kids did today. got the front drive shaft back in and had to go for a test. it has been snowing for the last two days so we got to test the new/old bias studded snow tires. had a blast! again, welcome!
Mark
Working on these old trucks is easy, all you have to do is................................................ ....
Old 12-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersnow70 View Post
welcome to fte tuck. love the truck, i have a 60 f250 4x4 also. nice to hear you made some memories with your old man in the old truck. thats what me and my kids did today. got the front drive shaft back in and had to go for a test. it has been snowing for the last two days so we got to test the new/old bias studded snow tires. had a blast! again, welcome!
Awesome tires in the snow on these old MH trucks. love it. It just rained of the snow here in the village again. I bet the pass going out of here is nasty about now. My Bronk had new snow tires on it when I got it last winter. I do so wish they where studded. Maybe I can get one of the shops to just re-drill and stud the front ones.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 12-09-2012, 06:38 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks