Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Junior User

jjurva! is starting off with a positive reputation.
Axles

The axle on my truck, 1960 f100 4x4, snapped to the right of the differential. I welded it together so i could move it around my yard and needless to say I need a new axle. I found a 59 f100 i could buy for relatively cheap. Can I pull the third member and put my gears into the new axle from the new truck and put that on my truck?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Postmaster

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
If you are talking about "an axel shaft", that broke, why not just swap one from the '59 and save yourself a lot of work. If you are talking about "an axel housing", the hollow tube which the axel goes into, in answer to your question, yes!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Junior User

The housing broke. The shafts and gears are fine. Thanks! I looked at it today and when I got there I wasn't sure what to look for. The housing looked similar but I just didn't know if it would work. I can finally get my truck back on the road! Also the new axle housing has spring welded to it. Is this a problem? Can I just grind them off?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Posting Guru

GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.
Whaaaat? Just don't reuse the springs!. Welding the springs to the rear axles? Suddenly I don't feel like such a hack.......
'92 F350 4x4 dual wheel service truck. 7.3 with headers and glass packs. 5 sp man tran. 255 85 16 Toyos. 110,000 miles. '59 F350 9' flareside new project, cummins 6at turbo diesel, sm 465 4 spd. 255 85 16s again, 37 ford 1 1/2 ton stake with 53 flathead V8. 65 toyota landcruiser fj 45 longbed pickup. 54 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed w/ cummins 6at, '68 BSA 441 Victor Special, bone stock, Antique tractors and one lung flywheel engines .....
Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Junior User

I was a little surprised to see someone had done that. They didn't weld the leaf springs to the truck but to the inside of the leaf spring they have a regular helix spring welded from the axle housing to the chassis.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1960, axle, f100, gears