6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 F250 6.4 Oil Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 PM
abubba1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F250 6.4 Oil Leak?

Over the past few months I have noticed oil accumulating on the bottom of the bell housing. Not really enough to cause a spot on the garage floor. I've cleaned it off three different times and it still shows up after a couple hundred miles. I've tried to locate the leak but cannot see any wet spots on top or anywhere else I can see. The engine only has 33K showing but when it's worked it's worked pretty hard pulling my Carri-Lite fifth wheel camper. Any suggestions?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:46 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
suggest taking it in and having them put some dye in the oil to locate the leak. Sounds like it could be the connect between the motor and trans.

While not serious I would want it taken care of eventually.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:19 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Ive really only had 3 or so issues. One is malfuntioning blower door motors for dual air hvac, another is multiple brakes seem to semi lock up and overheat. All brakes have now been replaced and no further issues. But the last one is the same as yours. Oil on bell housing and they have replaced rear main 3 times and it still leaks. Doesnt drip on driveway but i wipe off bell housing every week or two. Please post back if you find out where its coming from.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:42 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
The oil leak is most likely your bedplate which is a very common source for leaks with the poor seal design on these engines. If your truck is still under warranty, you may want to get this fixed since this kind of repair cost big $$$$. In addition some of these type of leaks do re-appear after some time and miles, but it's the luck of the draw.

BTW I owned a 6.0 psd so I know all about oil leaks, and any tech who has replaced the rear main seal multiple times is a sign he doesn't have a clue to the root cause!

Good luck...

Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Have it diagnosed at the dealer with dye. Pretty easy to figure out there it's coming from if they have a clue.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 PM
abubba1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
The oil leak is most likely your bedplate which is a very common source for leaks with the poor seal design on these engines. If your truck is still under warranty, you may want to get this fixed since this kind of repair cost big $$$$. In addition some of these type of leaks do re-appear after some time and miles, but it's the luck of the draw.

BTW I owned a 6.0 psd so I know all about oil leaks, and any tech who has replaced the rear main seal multiple times is a sign he doesn't have a clue to the root cause!

Good luck...
I was thinking it might be the bedplate but was wondering how they would find out with dye? Is the bedplate visible with a mirror from the top or bottom? If it turns out to be the bedplate it's my understanding they have to do a cab off and remove the engine to repair the leak. Almost sounds like open heart surgery. Has anyone had this cab off done and then experience problems with the truck due to lack of attention putting it all back together again? The truck is still under factory warranty until the end of the month but I have Ford extended warranty for two more years after that. If it is the bedplate I'm sure it will be an expensive fix.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Truck is designed to take the cab off quickly. It is pretty straightforward for the techs. I would not worry about it.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:46 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Brother had a bed plate leak fixed on his 08. All depends on the tech of how well it goes back together.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:06 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by abubba1
I was thinking it might be the bedplate but was wondering how they would find out with dye? Is the bedplate visible with a mirror from the top or bottom? If it turns out to be the bedplate it's my understanding they have to do a cab off and remove the engine to repair the leak. Almost sounds like open heart surgery. Has anyone had this cab off done and then experience problems with the truck due to lack of attention putting it all back together again? The truck is still under factory warranty until the end of the month but I have Ford extended warranty for two more years after that. If it is the bedplate I'm sure it will be an expensive fix.
The bed plate is visable from the lower part of the engine block. Using the dye makes diagnosis fairly accurate. At a minimum have your oil leak diagnosed to find out the location of the leak as sometimes it can be a simple fix. If it is the bedplate don't wait until your warrenty is about to expire if you want it fixed since sometimes the leaks appear again, so you want as much warrenty coverage as possible to cover an reoccuring leaks.

Here's a video of a bedplate repair on a 6.0 but it basically the same on your 6.4 as well. And yes it's cost big $$$ to have this repair done on your nickel.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by senix
Truck is designed to take the cab off quickly. It is pretty straightforward for the techs. I would not worry about it.
I would.... This is not a job for an amateur tech!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 PM
pilotshot
Senior User
Bed plate oil leak.

I had this problem on my 2008 6.4.The mileage was 85000 kms or 53000 miles. It was a cab off, and engine removed to fix the leak. It took 30 shop hours to do the repair. Fortunately it was under warranty.

The truck went back together using all new fasteners. it is now 14 months since the oil leak repair and every thing works very well. No hiccups at all.

While the engine was off, I had the original thermostat replaced with the updated one. So far I have avoided the dreaded coolant leak.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 AM
abubba1
Freshman User
Thanks Troy for the videos. It looks pretty close to open heart surgery to me. Taking it in Monday to get started on the repair. I just had the radiator and hoses replaced under warranty, would the thermostat have been part of that repair? I will check, if not this would be a good time to get it done. I will keep you guys informed how it comes out. Thanks for all the feedback. -Mike-

Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, I would say the bedplate. Had mine done at 26K.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM
t613
Freshman User
Originally Posted by abubba1
Thanks Troy for the videos. It looks pretty close to open heart surgery to me. Taking it in Monday to get started on the repair. I just had the radiator and hoses replaced under warranty, would the thermostat have been part of that repair? I will check, if not this would be a good time to get it done. I will keep you guys informed how it comes out. Thanks for all the feedback. -Mike-
Absolutely! Let Ford eat it (or Navistar, actually). Had mine done a year ago with 29,000 on it. Get it in there!

Tim

Old 12-10-2012, 05:38 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ya cab pulling is not all that hard.

Quick Reply: 2008 F250 6.4 Oil Leak?