Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasket Compound and RTV

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Finger__Rachet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gasket Compound and RTV

Okay, I'm in the rebuilding stage and want to clarify when to use gasket compound (I'm using the copper stuff) and RTV.

Right at this moment I'm wondering if I need compound or rtv for the oil pump?

But beyond that, is there a general rule on when to use these?

I think the copper stuff says not to apply to rubber, so do I use RTV on rubber?

Old 12-07-2012, 04:26 PM
bdelmar2
Senior User
I assume you mean copper coat? Sprays out of a can?

If so, the only place I generally use copper coat is on head gaskets, the block where the gasket goes and on the heads where the gasket goes. It isn't a requirement to even use it at all, I use it to fill small imperfections and as cheap insurance. It appears your block has been surfaced so it would be an optional thing for you.

I have also used it on exhaust manifolds and gaskets, once again, just to fill small imperfections.

I would not put any sealer on the oil pump at all. I never have, and I've never had an issue, just the gasket itself. You do not want to take the chance on something blocking an oil passage or getting into a bearing.

Opinions vary on silicone/rtv. Rubber shouldn't need any, only on the corners where it meets another gasket, or if two different assemblies meet its a good idea to put some there. I use silicone very sparingly, a very thin layer is good for flat surfaces and a small line for joints.

I find Ford gasket glue to be very handy. Its similar to contact cement. I generally use it to glue one side of a gasket on to the smaller part, and a thin layer of silicon on the other side where it will meet the block, or larger assembly - if the gasket is cork.

I also find it handy to drop the bolts in backwards to hold the gasket in place until the glue sets up, you can also do this with silicone of course. That way you know you have all the bolts and they will go through the holes.

If the gasket is rubber I may use a little glue to hold the gasket in place or not depending on how hard it is to get the assembly in place.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 PM
OverReved
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always been partial to Permatex Aviation Gasket Cement. I use it on anything I don't want to leak. Pluse it is formulated not to harden. Years later you can separate things that were bolted together without even damaging the gasket. Good luck.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
-Water pump gasket(paper) Permatex Aviation Gasket Cement
Timing cover(paper) Permatex Aviation Gasket Cement
-Valve cover gaskets(rubber) Go on DRY
-Oil pan gasket(rubber) Go on dry, except in the corners where the block meets the front and rear main. Small blobs of RTV in the corners
-Oil pump(paper gasket)Permatex Aviation Gasket Cement
-Head gaskets DRY DRY DRY DRY DRY DRY DRY DRY DRY
-Intake gaskets Dry or Permatex Aviation Gasket Cement and a 1/4" bead of RTV where the intake meets the block and where the head meets the block(throw the rubber things in the trash where they belong)

Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Finger__Rachet
Senior User
Thanks for the feedback. Off the the garage armed with the info!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Finger__Rachet
Senior User
Oh and the copper compound is like a glue to hold it in place.