Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

AEM Dryflow Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
then here are a ROYAL CRAP TON of PSD guys that need to box in their air filters and plumb them to cold outside air.......

Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
yes there are sadly.i see these intakes done widely all over the other diesel sections.
it's mass delusion lmao.
you simply cannot combat science with marketing.science will win.bringing in fresh,cool,dense air (preferably pressurized,such as up around the upper hood,th cowl,the wheel wells) will completely trump any hot air intake system.science doesn't lie.only those with false "hot air" intake systems do.
one of the largest mistakes you'll ever see done is that 1667 mod.it takes science and slaps it in its face.whoever marketed them did a good job.many took the bait.hook, line and sinker.what can i say? lol.

all you have to do is research;
edit; be sure to include flow vs pressure too while your at it.thats a big one.you'll learn a lot just in this research alone.
what air type do diesel prefer for power.
where on vehicles are high pressure locations (in this case,focusing on trucks.)
after your done researching,you'll clearly see the masses have falling victim to a very large scam.the so called "hot air" intakes,are nothing more than what many of us had back in the day on our hot rods with the round open filter elements.those who were smart knew to run some ducting for ram air or cowl,if the muscle car didn't come with it.

google has so much to offer.make your fingers bleed! we didn't have this back in the day.just some mags,a few friends and lots of trial and error.
oh my god,i sound old.im not even 40 yet i swear!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
i might build a box around my filter too. we will see. for now i will just go with being under powered since i am drawing in warm air lol

Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do it... i routed mine and didnt even build a full box around, just a sheild really from the engine compartment and it made and INSANE difference. Honestly, i couldnt believe it. Butt dyno doesnt feel it much, but watching the pipes is a dead give away

Old 12-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
i have had probably 5 different intake set ups on my truck and the one i have now is the best one by far and its back in an inclosed box pulling from ram and cowl at same time and i notice a huge difference in egts from past intakes and this one!

Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Colder the better for sure, but I'd be more happy to eliminate the junk ats filter box. Even if that was the only benefit

Old 12-15-2012, 05:35 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Do it... i routed mine and didnt even build a full box around, just a sheild really from the engine compartment and it made and INSANE difference. Honestly, i couldnt believe it. Butt dyno doesnt feel it much, but watching the pipes is a dead give away
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Coalroller
i have had probably 5 different intake set ups on my truck and the one i have now is the best one by far and its back in an inclosed box pulling from ram and cowl at same time and i notice a huge difference in egts from past intakes and this one!
Yeah i have seen yours. that might be an option of i don't like the open element.

Originally Posted by 91dirtydiesel
Colder the better for sure, but I'd be more happy to eliminate the junk ats filter box. Even if that was the only benefit
My thoughts EXACTLY!

Old 12-16-2012, 05:31 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
All done!!! this is what i had to cut off the silicone piece to get it to fit.

This is the final product. i have the CDR tube running into the intake tube like that factory set-up uses.

i am happy with the way it turned out. cleaned up the top of the engine and sounds AWESOME! i gained about 3psi of boost as well. i didn't pay attention to my EGT's on my short drive. throttle response seems better as well, especially from a stop. seems to get going easier.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:55 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
If you used a MIG welder, make sure u didn't blow through and have excess wire on the inside of the pipe. Can mess up your comp wheel in a hurry! Looks good! Curious to see EGTs

Old 12-16-2012, 06:03 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
hahaha. yeah i'm getting good at filling in holes that i make with my welder LOL. i made sure the inside was clean though. my welds look like chit on this but they hold so.....

Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
today i drove it to work. EGT's are THE SAME as with the stock intake on, boost actually ended up being a couple psi less. the REALLY weird thing though.....my rpm's at 55mph are about 100-150rpm's less than before.

i don't feel this intake is getting a fair trial so to speak since my IP is a royal POS. i am sure that with a quality IP that was actually putting fuel out then my boost would have gone up not down. but like i have said in past threads of mine, you can see that when the egt's stop climbing the boost stops in it's tracks.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 AM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
here are some more/better pics!

Old 12-18-2012, 10:12 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by '94IDITurbo7.3
today i drove it to work. EGT's are THE SAME as with the stock intake on, boost actually ended up being a couple psi less. the REALLY weird thing though.....my rpm's at 55mph are about 100-150rpm's less than before.

i don't feel this intake is getting a fair trial so to speak since my IP is a royal POS. i am sure that with a quality IP that was actually putting fuel out then my boost would have gone up not down. but like i have said in past threads of mine, you can see that when the egt's stop climbing the boost stops in it's tracks.
load the truck up or tow something.you'll quickly see the advantage of the cowl over your hot intake real soon.if you don't pull over and hook your cowl back up because egt's are getting high,i'd be surprised.no doubt just running empty you wouldn't notice much,if anything.
the cruise rpms changing at 55mph.......not sure how you managed this one.i think you need to test at the cowl again.
boost dropping......well boost is dependent on load.the more engine load,the more boost you'll get.so maybe you just didn't have enough load on the engine as you did before.i wouldn't think performance would be altered "that" much.but who knows.i ran the hot air intake setup once because you convinced me to give it a whirl lol.
in less than a mile iirc the cowl had to go back on to drop egts.i was loaded heavy,and it was hilly terrain.i recall seeing 900 or 950 degrees or so before i was even headed up the next hill.......i didn't even try that hill.i had to call uncle and hook cowl back up before taking it.

you report some wild things going on with your setup.i'll give ya that lol.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 AM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
you report some wild things going on with your setup.i'll give ya that lol.
yeah i know lol

Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 AM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
When I had my ats 093 (no intercooler at the time) it did just fine towing or hauling scrap. Varied between 9500 hauling and 14500 towing, gross weight, egts were never an issue with my cone filter....more worried about my boost up those hills

Quick Reply: AEM Dryflow Air Filter