Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEDs in Cab Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 12:42 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want something for safety while plowing, get something like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1857_200361857

If you don't like the way it looks, take it down when you aren't plowing. Coming from someone who used to plow, hide a strobes don't cut it, and making your cab lights flash won't be nearly bright enough to act as an actual safety warning light. You need to get something that's actually made to act as a real warning light.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM
linckeil
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
like i said, i have hideaways in all the corner marker lights on the truck. maybe you don't have any recent experience with the new hideaways out there on the market, but i can assure you that today's LED hideaways provide adequate warning - and they are designed to act as an actual safety warning light. these are not the high draw, high heat "strobes" of years back - LED technology has come a long, long way.

the cab lights will be supplementary to these existing hideaways, they will not be the primary warning lights.

$25 for the flasher, $30 for the LEDs, and $10 for the relays - for $65 and a few hours on my weekend i'll give it a shot.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:18 AM
linckeil
Senior User
Old 12-17-2012, 11:18 PM
nebechanezer
Tuned
Can you post a wiring diagram? I'm curious how you ran the relays? Which sho-me flasher did you use?

Old 12-19-2012, 02:30 PM
linckeil
Senior User
Originally Posted by nebechanezer
Can you post a wiring diagram? I'm curious how you ran the relays? Which sho-me flasher did you use?
i need to draw up a diagram in case i ever need to trouble shoot the system down the road. i plan to draw one up and keep a copy in my glove box.

i'll gladly post it here once complete. however, posting images on this forum has always alluded me for some reason. i belong to several other forums and have no issues posting images, but never did it here - although i have tried.... anyone got any advice on how to post it?

the particular flasher i used was sho-me 11.1005TSF. i'm going to also put together an entire parts list for my reference if anything ever needs replacing. i can post that too if interested.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Bob_Smith
Senior User
I just upload stuff to photobucket and then put the [ img ] code into my post. Simple and works every time.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Looks good. I am curious to see how your wired them too

Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 PM
linckeil
Senior User
ok, so here's my attempt with photobucket - i hope it works....

the first pic is the flasher and relays which i located behind the passenger rear speaker. if relays need replacing or i need to inspect something, all i have to do is remove the 4 screws and the speaker. plus you'll never even know its there. it out of harms way too. i built the black bracket you see. two 1/4-20 bolts hold it to two factory drilled holes that were unused. i tapped them to accept the bolts and it worked out great.

the second pic is the factory plug for the cab lights located behind the passenger side kick panel. the grey wire is what i plugged in to power the relays in order to turn the cab lights on and off with the headlight switch.

i am working on a wiring diagram and will post that soon if this photobucket thing works....

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Old 12-20-2012, 07:51 PM
linckeil
Senior User
well that didnt work... let me try the pics again....

Old 12-21-2012, 04:28 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
That looks simple enough. What did you do for a switch to turn them to strobe?

Old 12-23-2012, 02:45 PM
_Hilljack_
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why did you use 2 relays?

Old 12-24-2012, 05:21 AM
linckeil
Senior User
1 relay would have worked, but then all lights would flash the same and i could only use one of the outputs on the flasher. i am using a 2 output flasher and you can see lights 1,3, and 5 flash seperately from lights 2 and 4. however many outputs you use will be the number of relays you need. if you wanted each light to flash seperatly from all the others, you would need 5 relays and a 5 output flasher (i don't think one is made). 2 outputs works perfect in my opinion.

i'll try to get that wiring diagram done and posted soon.

here's another video and it shows the switches i used. i was able to locate them where i did because my truck is gas. this location wouldn't have worked on my powerstroke.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:32 AM
_Hilljack_
5th Wheeling
One other question... why didn't you use the factory cab light harness that runs down the passenger side A-pilar? It looks like you ran new wiring from he cab lights down he back toward the speaker.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:45 PM
linckeil
Senior User
you are correct. i have a 1990 F350 i am parting out, so i took the cab light harness out of that, rebuilt it so that lights 1,3, and 5 are tied together seperately from lights 2 and 4. i then snaked that harness into my truck, plugged it into the lights, and left the orginal one in there. i could have rebuilt the original harness, but with a parts truck sitting right there i figured i'd modify that harness instead.

the rebuilt harness from my parts truck runs back toward the speaker where it meets the relays. behind the speaker seemed like a great spot for it all - plenty of room, out of the way, out of sight, and protected from damage.

once i do this wiring diagram i'll post it here. it'll make it clear exactly what i did.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:53 PM
_Hilljack_
5th Wheeling
Oh ok that makes sense. My truck didn't havt can lights on it stock so when I get back from spring semester I'll be putting smoked cab lights with LEDs on it. I was thinking of doing hooking it up to a strobe like yours is. It looks really good btw

Quick Reply: LEDs in Cab Lights