1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help me with my wiring thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:32 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr G
Hi - i posted pics of my wiring project some time back. I recently finished converting to fuel injection. I used a stand alone programmable ECU by ViPec out of New Zealand (some ex MoTeC guys I understand). I went with sequential injection and ignition.

Regardless of what parts you use, I would say it is important to focus on strain relief. If you want your harness to be reliable, make sure that it is not putting strain on any connectors, splices etc.

I am also of the school of thought that nothing should be soldered, everything crimped and shrinked.

All the wire I use is Mil spec of some kind, 19 strand copper either silver or tin plated with a Teflon jacket. Surplus wire like this is very available on eBay.

Here's a couple of pics:

Gustave

Hello Gustave (aka Dr. G)

That is a very clean installation! I love the mil grade connectors. On the solder joints, there are some relatively new products out...butt connectors that have low temp solder and sealant in them with shrink tubing on the outside. If you heat it with the heat gun, the solder melts, followed quickly by the sealant, then the tubing shrinks and seals the ends. They are pretty slick. The solder solidifies almost as soon as you take the heat gun away. These things are great outside, like for wiring on a boat trailer that gets submerged. I like to seal things up in general to prevent the wire from corroding inside the insulation.

Dan

Old 12-14-2012, 04:39 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Old Dan,

where would one get these new type conectors They sound great

Doraville,

thanks, is that a micros soft product?

JimG

Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 AM
Doraville
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimG1098
Doraville,

JimG
LibreOffice is an office suite that started life as StarOffice, was acquired by Sun Microsystems and released as OpenOffice, open source free software. Later, when Sun was acquired by Oracle, the main developers split off from OpenOffice and released LibreOffice.

I've used this office suite for years; I'll never pay to buy MS Office again.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks,

just went online and saw it's download. As time gets closer I will try to do what you did with your wiring diagrams. this will be a total rewire job. I have stripped ALL OLD WIRING .

Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Doraville
Senior User
Thanks,

just went online and saw it's download. As time gets closer I will try to do what you did with your wiring diagrams. this will be a total rewire job. I have stripped ALL OLD WIRING .
Just let me know when you get ready to start and I'll give you my source file so you don't have to recreate all the symbols.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Doraville,

thank you so much. I have just put thin in my save files for a little latter, i hope

JimG

Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Dr G
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by old_dan
Hello Gustave (aka Dr. G)
On the solder joints, there are some relatively new products out...butt connectors that have low temp solder and sealant in them with shrink tubing on the outside. If you heat it with the heat gun, the solder melts, followed quickly by the sealant, then the tubing shrinks and seals the ends.
Dan
Yes, those are called "solder sleeves" and I used those to attach wires to my braided shields, so that the shield contrinuity could be continued through a connector. My MSD distributor which I converted to an engine position module has two sensors (REF and SYNC) and both needed to be shielded. They do work really well.

My reservations about soldering wires or connectors is that the solder inevitably soaks into the strands. This has the effect of locally stiffening the wire which creates a stress riser as the wire moves around in a vibration environment. Over time the wire can fatigue and crack.

The Mil Spec or Motorsport crimping systems are centered around reducing stress risers or any other strain on the wiring.

What I use to splice wires is a little kit that is used in Motorsport. You have 4 different sizes of metal barrels, and a special crimp tool that is used to crimp the wires together at the very center of the barrel. Then you slide a piece of glue shrink over the barrel and heat it. But this is no ordinary glue shrink. This is the really special stuff that has a thick black glue. When complete the splice is impervious to moisture.

Gustave

Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old Dan,

where would one get these new type conectors They sound great

Doraville,

JimG
The connectors that I used were ( I think) Amphenol brand. We use them in mil grade harnesses. I also found these from Krimpa-Seal: http://www.sherco-auto.com/krimpaseal.htm

Dan

Old 12-14-2012, 01:10 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Dan

Old 12-31-2012, 07:55 AM
Doraville
Senior User
I finished my wiring diagrams. It wound up being 8 pages. Since nothing on my truck is original other than the sheet metal (everything else is either aftermarket or from a later model vehicle) the drawings wound-up being fairly specific to my truck. I'm posting it here mainly as an example of one way to do it.

I'm sure that there are some errors (if I knew where they were I would fix them), but hopefully I'll catch them as I wire it. I also plan to fill-in the wire colors and size the fuses as I wire it.

Please let me know if you see anything that jumps out at you as not quite right. I've been staring at these drawings for weeks.

-DV

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Main diagram.pdf (222.8 KB, 180 views)
Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Doraville
Please let me know if you see anything that jumps out at you as not quite right. I've been staring at these drawings for weeks.

-DV
That is great work But like any great artist I would recommend that you sign your work. This will probably get sent around quite a bit as it is much easier to read than the Ford diagrams.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Doraville
Senior User
Originally Posted by petemcl
That is great work But like any great artist I would recommend that you sign your work. This will probably get sent around quite a bit as it is much easier to read than the Ford diagrams.
Thanks for the compliment, but I think I'll leave it unsigned and with a "Use at your own risk" disclaimer.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
I am using a combination of the old doner harness and a new American Autowire power Plus 13. The doner harness controls the engine/injection system and the new harness everything else. It is not difficult to diet the doner harness but it is very time consumming and can drive you nuts at times. I have dieted several harnesses over the years but this time I called an old freind at www.wirediet.com . They had one of my old 5.0 harnesses and so I had Art diet the harness up for what I wanted. When he sent the harness back to me it was cleaned, freshly wraped and pre tested. All the conections were labeled, unnecessay sensors were bypassed and it is truely plug and play. I wish that I would of taken pictures of the completed harness before I started to install it. This is not the cheapest way to go but it is by far the easiest.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:19 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Doraville
I finished my wiring diagrams. It wound up being 8 pages.

-DV
VERY nice! I did the old "wire for every terminal/terminal for every wire" strategy. So far...so good! Thanks for reminding me to pack the fire extinguisher.