Sponsored by:

Gear Box & Hose Replacement for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:56 PM
alan_scott
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
It would be nice to have one of the PSD guys do one too so we can compare and see what's different, if anything.

Stewart
My '01 7.3 2x4 lost the seal on the sector shaft (pitman arm) so I pulled the steering gear box out yesterday. There are plenty of pics in this thread including for a PSD so I didn't take any.

I went by a car wash and washed everything under there I could reach before starting work on it.

I left the truck sitting on the ground with the tires straight.

I used a 1 5/16 socket on the pitman arm nut, it fit perfect.

I pulled the pitman arm using a 2 arm puller while the gear box was still bolted to the frame and left it connected to the drag link.

Since it's been driving fine after replacing the ball joints etc. I didn't see a reason to replace it so I bought a seal kit from NAPA (Part Number: NPS 7426 $20.25). I took the parts and a Domino's pizza to a friends house and had him replace the seal. (He's a retired diesel mech who works cheap lol)

After I bolted the gear box back up, I hooked everything up except for the pitman arm, started it and bled the air from the system. BTW, it's 4 complete turns on the steering wheel for lock-to-lock.

After bolting up the pitman arm I drove it about 10 miles and had to add a bit more P/S fluid but after parking overnight, no drips under it. I think I'll recheck the torque on the pitman arm after a few hundred miles.

Luckily, I don't have the rust that the OP does. I used air tools whenever possible and what went the the slowest was using the flare wrench on the hoses, total time off and back on was about 2 hours.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:09 PM
SDV10
Senior User
I want to thank you Christina for such a great write up!! I showed this to my wife and she did my steering gear in about three hours. Thanks again for the great write up!!

Old 09-28-2013, 12:15 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
My wife loves me dearly, but even after seeing Christina's post, she pats my hand, "not gonna happen baby"

Old 09-28-2013, 12:57 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SDV10
I want to thank you Christina for such a great write up!! I showed this to my wife and she did my steering gear in about three hours. Thanks again for the great write up!!
You are welcome. I can tell I would like your wife!

Originally Posted by wpnaes
My wife loves me dearly, but even after seeing Christina's post, she pats my hand, "not gonna happen baby"
Ya but think of all those other things she does do for you Sean

Old 09-28-2013, 05:36 PM
SDV10
Senior User
She laughed super hard when I told her what I posted. She looked at all your posts with the seat belts and straps and loved the ingenuity. But I did the gear swap and it was about three hours due to I thought I had the trans oil and didn't. Guys don't plan well! But it is done!! Also, just to let you know, if you need it, I have the Ford shop manuals for your truck. Everything available to the dealer techs. Top to bottom. Bolt by Bolt. Diagnostics. Wiring. Although it looks like you got it handled. Again, Great Write Up!! Reps sent!!

Old 09-28-2013, 06:53 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SDV10
She laughed super hard when I told her what I posted. She looked at all your posts with the seat belts and straps and loved the ingenuity. But I did the gear swap and it was about three hours due to I thought I had the trans oil and didn't. Guys don't plan well! But it is done!! Also, just to let you know, if you need it, I have the Ford shop manuals for your truck. Everything available to the dealer techs. Top to bottom. Bolt by Bolt. Diagnostics. Wiring. Although it looks like you got it handled. Again, Great Write Up!! Reps sent!!
I have the CD that's all and if I could get the SHOP dealer version that would be great, it's still continues to be a BIATCH at times and I'm learning as I go, where did you get the manuals you have? And btw thanks for the reps.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Jack Frost
New User
I put in a new steering box into my 2002 250 last month before seeing this thread.

To get the pitman arm off, I had it in a bench vice with the jaws clamped on the pitman arm. I found that it helps to get the pitman nut off is you tap it assertively with a hammer at the same time you are trying to turn it. That made the difference for me.

My personal opinions is that it might not be a good practice to use air tools on these. Lot of precision ball bearings that might leave a dent in the races so I prefer the grunt and twist method.

As indicated in this post, it took 2 1/2 liters of transmission fluid to replace what was there. One need to research how to purge the air out of the power steering pump and the booster to finish off this job properly.

Also as indicated, with the new steering gear, one can "feel" the road much better and take one's eyes off the road without finding the truck is going in a new direction.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:40 PM
SDV10
Senior User
They sent them by accident. I tried to send back but they said keep them. I have manuals for everything ford makes from 96 to 01.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:40 PM
SDV10
Senior User
OOps! You're welcome.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:24 PM
rch10007
Senior User
I know this thread is referenced often so I wanted to come in here and post an issue I just had with a Redhead unit.

The output shaft that the pitman arm attaches to is not correctly aligned. I get 4 full turns of rotation on the input shaft. That rotation translates into the output shaft going from straight out of the back of the box to a full 90 degrees perpendicular to the box. 90 degrees is correct, but the pitman arm should swing from 45 degrees from each side of the back of the box... The unit I got starts its output rotation straight out of the back of the box so it can't turn any further towards the passenger side once installed. I can't move the pitman arm because it only moves around the shaft 90 degrees, not the 45 I need to align the box properly.

I tried calling Redhead today but I guess they are closed on Saturday. I left them a message and I sent a message via their website. I will update my post when I find out more from them about what they want to do... This post is not intended to complain about them but the unit I got is wrong and I searched and did not find anywhere this has happened previously so I thought I would share my experience here.

**EDIT**
I spoke with them today and indeed, the box I got was the wrong one. They are sending me another one today. I have to ship the wrong one back along with my core. I asked them to cover the shipping of my core (so I put both in the same box) and they've agreed. All said and done, I sent some pics to verify the box was wrong and they are fixing the issue. Crap happens...but at least they were responsive with my concerns and are trying to get me another box right away.

IF you are going to change the box on your daily driver and don't have another vehicle, don't jump the gun like me and take out the old box before verifying the new one...lesson learned. This will give me a chance to flush my system as there were some small metal bits in the fluid I drained from the cooler...

Old 03-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by rch10007
I know this thread is referenced often so I wanted to come in here and post an issue I just had with a Redhead unit.

The output shaft that the pitman arm attaches to is not correctly aligned. I get 4 full turns of rotation on the input shaft. That rotation translates into the output shaft going from straight out of the back of the box to a full 90 degrees perpendicular to the box. 90 degrees is correct, but the pitman arm should swing from 45 degrees from each side of the back of the box... The unit I got starts its output rotation straight out of the back of the box so it can't turn any further towards the passenger side once installed. I can't move the pitman arm because it only moves around the shaft 90 degrees, not the 45 I need to align the box properly.

I tried calling Redhead today but I guess they are closed on Saturday. I left them a message and I sent a message via their website. I will update my post when I find out more from them about what they want to do... This post is not intended to complain about them but the unit I got is wrong and I searched and did not find anywhere this has happened previously so I thought I would share my experience here.
Interesting...

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:15 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, and I was going to order one this week...Please let us know how it turns out...

Old 03-30-2015, 02:34 PM
rch10007
Senior User
Also added this as an edit above:

I spoke with them today and indeed, the box I got was the wrong one. They are sending me another one today. I have to ship the wrong one back along with my core. I asked them to cover the shipping of my core (so I put both in the same box) and they've agreed. All said and done, I sent some pics to verify the box was wrong and they are fixing the issue. Crap happens...but at least they were responsive with my concerns and are trying to get me another box right away.

IF you are going to change the box on your daily driver and don't have another vehicle, don't jump the gun like me and take out the old box before verifying the new one...lesson learned. This will give me a chance to flush my system as there were some small metal bits in the fluid I drained from the cooler...

Old 03-30-2015, 08:45 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Glad to hear they're taking care of you.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:55 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by rch10007
I spoke with them today and indeed, the box I got was the wrong one. They are sending me another one today. I have to ship the wrong one back along with my core. I asked them to cover the shipping of my core (so I put both in the same box) and they've agreed.
Glad to see they're taking care of you to fix their mistake.

Stewart

Quick Reply: Gear Box & Hose Replacement for Dummies