1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another OT post-I feel sorry for you CA guys

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Another OT post-I feel sorry for you CA guys

I was just perusing the web site of a major home improvement big box store site and in their description of their product, a simple piece of wood, there was this notice:
California residents: see Proposition 65 information
So I click on it just to see what it was about:
Proposition 65 notice for wood products is as follows: WARNING: Drilling, sawing, sanding or machining wood products generates wood dust, a substance known to the State of California to cause cancer. Use a respirator or other safeguards to avoid inhaling wood dust.
Man, I hope a person with minimal intelligence would know this, well at least know that "Drilling, sawing, sanding or machining wood products generates wood dust". I can only assume it causes cancer only in CA, there was no warnings from any other state. I myself have been drilling, sawing, sanding and machining for about 45 years and I feel safe to say I've probably known hundreds of other people who have worked wood and they didn't die from it. I never really had a problem with doing so. If I am working with a lot of wood I will put on a dust mask but I've never had to be told to do this by a governing agency. Did CA really need a proposition to tell you this? I can only imagine what it cost to conjure up this proposition, bring it to committee, discuss, take it back to committee, bring it back up and then vote on it.

I read a lot this type of government mentality affecting our hobby so this isn't really totally off topic.

I can only see this spreading across the country, what a nanny state. It ain't going to get better.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I once got a letter from the CA EPA agency regarding my Airflow. They called it a "pollutant" and offered to buy it for something like $500. I'm assuming that someone called my car into the agency since it smokes when going down the road. I snickered at the letter, then tore it half and used it to pick up my dog's poop from the front lawn.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I snickered at the letter, then tore it half and used it to pick up my dog's poop from the front lawn.
That's the spirit! Recycle that letter!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's a complete list of everything:
http://oehha.ca.gov/prop65/prop65_li...ngle062212.pdf

Even plain old alcohol is known to the state of california to cause cancer. Better not tell Bobby about those frosty beverages...

Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CA should just pass a one line proposition stating that "Everything causes cancer."

Old 12-05-2012, 08:50 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
We have the nanny state alive and doing well in our state capitol. Madison, or as many refer to it, "Beijing West". A few years ago I parked my '04 Dodge 1500 four door with 8' box in a parking structure on the UW campus to attend an event my kid was involved in. When I came back to the truck I had a notice under the windshield wiper telling me they measured my truck and it was 8" too long. I was parking in a "normal" stall without any signage saying I was in any type of special parking spot. I casually checked before pulling into the space and double checked after reading the notice. I was sure glad our capitol police didn't have anything more important to do than take out a tape measure and measure my truck.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Now, now. Be reasonable, guys. The government knows what's best for us, and promises to take good care of us. Just send them any money you have left (along with all your guns) and they'll take really good care of you. They promise.

Of course wood dust causes cancer. Everything causes cancer. And now they've discovered that living causes death, eventually.

Remember, the government made rat poison makers stop using Red Dye number 4 because it was found to cause cancer in rats.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
And just two states north, The great state of Washington has become the first state to legalize pot, well I saw on the news it isn't legal until 12:01 tonight. In other words the state says it's fine to suck that stuff deep into your lungs and hold it there intentionally for the purpose of recreation. Apparently, they'll be selling it somehow for tax revenue. I'll be sound asleep by midnight, with my lungs full of wood dust, having also been a professional woodworker for 40 years. I wonder what proposition 65 says about that smoke. Just thought it was odd that one state is trying to keep stuff out of peoples lungs and one is adding another ok thing to breathe on the list. You SAID it was OT

Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well,GB, California has legalized pot also. Only thing is the fed government still says it is illegal. A conundrum to say the least.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:48 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Man, I hope a person with minimal intelligence...
You've hit the nail right on the head here, Bob. (woodworking pun intended) The problem is there's waaay too many people with less than minimal intelligence in a position to ruin our daily lives. When I'm king...

And GB, in case you didn't notice, even after every reasonable thinking (and even a few not so reasonable) person, newspaper, group and organization endorsed his opponent, it was nearly the same percentage of voters that elected our next governor who also passed the pot law. The irony was not lost on me.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Carolina 52
Senior User
Guilford County NC taxes you for the rain water that falls on your roof and then goes into storm drains and then onto the local watershed. They say the roof shingles pollutes the water. People with metal roofs raised cain then they said the grass in your yard pollutes the water also. Things are crazy all over.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:49 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Carolina 52
Guilford County NC taxes you for the rain water that falls on your roof and then goes into storm drains and then onto the local watershed. They say the roof shingles pollutes the water. People with metal roofs raised cain then they said the grass in your yard pollutes the water also. Things are crazy all over.
We have a similar tax in WA. They call it a stormwater tax. $36/year for every property in the state in case water runs off your property into the storm drains. The state set up a new office of the state Department of Ecology to "manage stormwater". All they really did was to enact the tax to pay for themselves. In my community, we see an average of 7" of rain per year. That's a cost of over $5 an inch. Then they pass a law that prohibits saving of water in rainbarrels because the state owns the rain and declares it is supposed to go back into the eco system naturally and not be stored for any other purposes, like irrigation.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:39 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Dam them!
The rain gutters, that is.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 AM
christurney77
Elder User
I'm suprised water isn't on the above list for being cancerous???

Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
nanny state? i guess.... i/m a retired carpenter that has the infection of loving old trucks and cars....i've been heavily involved in both. recently, i went in for a non emergency chest x-ray. while looking at my films w/ the dr i said 'why are my lungs a touch darker on the very bottoms? he said"with your work and rec.history its common to have a little residue in those areas....nothing to worry about." i rest my case. no wonder ca. is in such financial straights!!! nice place to visit....but thats all folks!!!!!

quentin in syracuse

Quick Reply: Another OT post-I feel sorry for you CA guys