Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine Rebuild Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Mark Alligood
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Rebuild Opinions

So here is the scenario, I will hopefully be picking up an extra 7.3l engine here pretty soon out of a 96 or 97 I believe with about 160K on it. I only looked at the truck briefly. It is a complete truck with a flatbed and some sort of salt spreader on the back. He only used it during the winter for pushing snow. I will be selling all of the extra parts to help fund my build. The only thing I want from the truck is the engine, everything else will be sold or scrapped. Anyway, My question to all of you is this. If you had an extra engine to build as you wish, at your leaisure and money wasn't too much of an object, what would you do? I'm not going to build some mega horsepower engine that has no use but at the sled arena but I plan to make it impressive and streetable. I will still be driving it everyday. What are the parts you guys would want to use in this type of build? I'm talking everything from internals to externals. I was actually considering a twin turbo for this engine, I'm just not exactly sure how I would set it up just yet. Has anyone done this yet? I'm working with a 99 F-350 CC LB 4x4. I'm just looking for some ideas and suggestions. This is one of those, man I sure wish I could do that, that has actually come to life for me.

I do have one other question. what do I need to do when it comes to the engine hoist and stand? I know the standard ones won't cut it so can anyone tell me what to get that will?

Thanks guys,
Mark

Old 12-04-2012, 05:54 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
what do you want to do with your truck?? daily driver??tow?? is the donor a forged rod motor??
here is my build....
Forged rods,balanced rotating assy, complete overhaul of the heads,comp 910 springs w30ths shems,ARP head studs, Full Force stage 3 238/100 injectors, Burg warner S468 turbo with T4 mount,terminator dual HPOP,DP tuner tunes (live tuned) SD regulated return, Airdog 150, walbro fuel pump,
BTS trans (a must if auto) or John Woods

I have not had a chance to dyno yet but its a solid 500+ hp and I tow on a regular basses ....

Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 PM
snknby123
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like I will be in the same boat as the OP. Anyone have any input?

I'm also interested in a DIY engine stand.

Wow joeyd61!! That is impressive How does it tow? I'm gonna be working on a rebuild like the OP and need it to tow and right now stock, it seems like a turd.

thx

Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
Tows great..10000 lb TT camper in the N Ga/ smokie mts..Dp tunes 80hp tow tune..egts stayed below 1200f.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Subscribing. I have already tore mine spare down and I am getting ready to contact the machine shop. Wanna keep an eye on this. I am wanting the same thing as the OP.
thanks to all

Old 12-14-2012, 03:15 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Add a gearhead stage 1 cam

Now are you talking twin turbo, or compound turbo.
(Two turbos feeding engine for same boost but more flow, or one big turbo feeding a smaller turbo for flow and lots of boost)

Old 12-14-2012, 07:01 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Joey's build is solid. You can do what he did with bigger injectors and turbo and get to 600HP - but the truth is going much further than that will be hard to do without compromising reliability and longevity.

'Twin' turbos are not likely practical for anything but a race truck, but there are some tremendous advantages to a well-designed 'compound' turbo set-up. Dialing this in is not exactly easy to do and is certainly not for someone who doesn't have deep pockets. In a nutshell, every turbo has a 'map'. This graph details the performance characteristics of that turbo. Speaking broadly, a single turbo has a limited map - typically only performing well at a limited engine RPM range. Properly engineered compounds can extend the map into a much broader RPM range and can produce ridiculous volumes and pressures at high RPM's.

Since my dually is a 6spd, I think it would be sweeeeeeet to have a compound set-up that would spool up and make power down at low RPM's and still be in the map at 3000 RPM's. I really don't care if it only makes 400-450HP since it is a tow-rig, but the driveability of that dream combo would be amazing...

Now if this doesn't give you wet dreams, you simply don't have enough diesel in your blood:

Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Joey's build is solid. You can do what he did with bigger injectors and turbo and get to 600HP - but the truth is going much further than that will be hard to do without compromising reliability and longevity.

'Twin' turbos are not likely practical for anything but a race truck, but there are some tremendous advantages to a well-designed 'compound' turbo set-up. Dialing this in is not exactly easy to do and is certainly not for someone who doesn't have deep pockets. In a nutshell, every turbo has a 'map'. This graph details the performance characteristics of that turbo. Speaking broadly, a single turbo has a limited map - typically only performing well at a limited engine RPM range. Properly engineered compounds can extend the map into a much broader RPM range and can produce ridiculous volumes and pressures at high RPM's.

Since my dually is a 6spd, I think it would be sweeeeeeet to have a compound set-up that would spool up and make power down at low RPM's and still be in the map at 3000 RPM's. I really don't care if it only makes 400-450HP since it is a tow-rig, but the driveability of that dream combo would be amazing...

Now if this doesn't give you wet dreams, you simply don't have enough diesel in your blood:

Blowby / Ford Powersttedt wanroke 7.3 1200 HP - Diesel Haller's Dyno - YouTube
Thanks Jason, but all I would need is larger injectors(and different internals) to reach 600hp..the S468 is rated for up to 800 hp...I just wanted to stay in the 500-550 family,to keep it a tow rig/daily driver/toy/ram killer/rock crusher

Old 12-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Mark Alligood
Senior User
Wow, I'm away from my computer for a few days and when I come back I have a few more replies than I expected. I appreciate the participation. So let's see if I can answer a few questions that I read. This truck is a daily driver/project/toy. I won't know what is in the donor motor until I have it and can get it torn apart. As far as I know it is a stock mid (or so) 90's engine with just over 160K. *** for the turbos...the twin turbo idea was just that, an idea. I have no practical purpose for this other than the wow check that out factor. I am one of those guys has to make sure that mine is different from every other truck out there. If a twin turbo set up doesn't work I won't be heart broken, I will move on to other ideas. This truck will always be my daily driver and I'm not after a 1K hp scorcher but when I put the pedal down I want to be impressed. I want my passengers to say holy crap man what's in there. This won't be a full time work truck and not a show truck. Cool looking on the outside and badass on the inside.

Mark
(I'm working on my signature)