Signal Stat 700 Turn Swith Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Flathead 51
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Signal Stat 700 Turn Swith Control

Does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for this? I've searched on the internet but I can't find anything for the 700.

Thanks.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 AM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I found this but no diagram:
There are five wires on the Signal-Stat Model 700:

•Green - left front
•Red - right front
•White - left rear
•Black - right rear
•Yellow - flasher
It will use a two terminal flasher

I found it here
It isn't a Ford forum but the switch was used everywhere.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Flathead 51
Freshman User
Originally Posted by newold46
I found this but no diagram:
There are five wires on the Signal-Stat Model 700:

•Green - left front
•Red - right front
•White - left rear
•Black - right rear
•Yellow - flasher
It will use a two terminal flasher

I found it here
It isn't a Ford forum but the switch was used everywhere.
Thanks!

It looks like I can't use the 700 to run my turn signals using my brake lights? I would need the 900? Are these switches 6v or 12v? I would need 6v.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:14 AM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
I was reading on one of those forums where people used a trailer light adapter to wire in between the brake light switch and the lights just like you would when running trailer lights from a newer vehicle to a common 2 light trailer setup. Your left, right and brake light wires run in one side and come out the other as 2 wires, ready to be hooked up to the taillights. I haven't investigated any further than that, but it may be what I will do when it gets warm enough to finish my rear lights. I have the 900 and still need a way to wire in the signals without carving up my new harnesses. My truck is also 6v and no problems with the front lights.
Something like this Not sure if it'll work 6v or not but it's only $20.

Last edited by newold46; 12-04-2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: forgot link
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Spaught
Freshman User
I've got a trailer adapter/Signal Stat 700 setup on my '47. There were a few teething issues until I figured out how the whole thing worked.

The inside of your Signal Stat looks like this:

The round part at the top is your contactor, it's in the off position in this photo. Power comes in through the yellow wire into the center post of the switch. When you turn the lever, you make contact at three positions on the switch, one for the front, one for the rear, and a third that isn't used on this switch.

The back of the switch shows the wiring connections:

You can see the yellow wire connecting to the center post. This goes out to your flasher relay and to power. When you signal to the right, you connect power to the black fabric covered wire and the red fabric covered wire through the short section of black plastic insulated wire. It also connects power to the both bulbs (they both flash when signalling). Signal to the left and you connect the green and white wires in a similar manner.

This works great if you have dedicated signal lights on both the front and rear of your truck. I don't. I converted the front running lights into turn signals, so I was good there. But I wanted to use a single brake/tail/turn signal light on the rear. This is where the trailer adapter comes in.

Should be a fairly simple install, connect up the red and white rear turn signal wires (along with the brake and tail light wires) to the adapter, then hook up the lights from the output of the adapter. Make sure you ground the adapter or it won't work at all. Here's where the Signal Stat 700 starts to cause some issues...

When I hooked up the wiring as described above, the front turn signals worked perfectly (obviously), and the rear tail and brake lights would work fine as well. But when I turned on the signal I would get both rear lights flashing. After a bunch of trial and error I figured out the issue. Because the Signal Stat powers both light bulbs in the switch no matter which way the switch is turned, there is always power going through both circuits (left and right). If you're connecting directly to a separate light, the bulb that is in the signal switch on the side you're not sellecting will draw enough power so that the turn signal on that side won't light up.

The trailer adapter will work with much lower incoming voltage and will activate the turn signal on both sides of the truck.

To get around this I had to rewire the Signal Stat switch to isolate the left and right side circuits from each other. I did this by removing the short sections of black wire and connecting the red and white wires directly to the switch terminal. I also connected an additional ground wire where the red and white wires used to be connected and ran this out with the harness to a chassis ground. This grounded the bulbs in the switch and completed their circuit. Now I have isolated left and right circuits.

The only drawback (besides resoldering everything) is that only one of the bulbs on the switch lights up when signaling, and it's the opposite bulb from the direction of the switch. Signal to the left and the right bulb flashes, signal to the right and the left bulb flashes. This has to do with how the switch is designed and there's no easy way around it.

I've been running this setup for a while now and haven't had any issues. Everything works as you'd expect.

Now I just have to remember to turn off the signal when I use it! I'm spoiled with these modern self cancelling signals!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 AM
white64
New User
How does the trailer converter hook into the harness?

It seems they go from 3 filaments to 2, when the 700 needs to go from 2 filaments to a desired 3? Or am I simply totally confused?

Old 05-13-2013, 07:46 AM
dodge49
New User
Alternative to re-soldering the switch

Instead of re-soldering the switch, you can connect the left side connections to each other, and the right side connections to each other.
That is, connect the green and white together, and the red and black together.
Your left front turn signal would then be connected to the green and white, and the right front turn signal would be connected to the red and black.

The green and white would then be connected to the yellow wire on the trailer adapter, the red and black to the green wire on the adapter, your brake switch to the red wire on the adapter, the brown wire on the adapter to the running light feed, and the white wire on the adapter to ground.

The output of the adapter goes to the rear lights - yellow to the left rear turn/stop, the green to the right turn/stop, the brown to the running lights, and the white to ground.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:56 PM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
Floating this one back to the top so I can find it again. About ready to restart after laying off for oh... 6 months? Selling and buying a house takes time I guess. Working at night doesn't help either.