Sponsored by: Moser

When to get first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 PM
mpally
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to get first oil change

When should I get the first oil change in our 2013 F150 5.0? We took a 1,000 mile trip right after getting the truck. It's been two weeks and I have put around 1,600 miles on the truck.

Also, how often is everyone getting regular oil changes with the 5.0?

Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mpally
When should I get the first oil change in our 2013 F150 5.0? We took a 1,000 mile trip right after getting the truck. It's been two weeks and I have put around 1,600 miles on the truck.

I'm doing mine when the OLM tells me to. I drive mine pretty easy, and it hasn't burned a drop of oil.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no "break in" oil in your engine so there is no need to drain it out early.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a very subjective topic and one that has been debated back and forth. I am one that believes the motor oil should be changed earlier rather than waiting 10,000 miles for the truck to tell me to change it (mainly for the first oil change which is the MOST IMPORTANT). I want to try and remove as much of those metal shavings as possible as soon as I can.

Most of your engine wear happens within the first several hundred miles of running and although the motors of today are built much better, I still would spend a little extra money two change the oil out early.

There will be people saying it is a waste of money and that Ford as done countless hours of study on it and thinks it is ok since it is in the owners manual...then others will say that the filter will remove all the metal particles (which is not true IMO as not all particles will make their way through it and will sit on the bottom of the oil pan etc.)

In the end it is all up to what YOU believe is the best for your truck. If you are asking my opinion...I say change it now!

Here is a website that I have used to break in my vehicles and although they have talked in depth about motorcycles he states it is for all vehicles. Like I said some will adopt the break in procedure he follows and some will not...I follow it and spend a little extra money for an early oil change. Your decision!

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 AM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
I did mine when the truck told me to which was right about 9500 miles.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM
mpally
Senior User
I'm not concerned about the cost of the oil change, I am just wondering when it should be changed. As you mention, opinion varies widely on this issue and given our 1,000 mile trip already, this oil is only two weeks old.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts
I'd change the oil a little early, as there may be some small particles in there, clogging up at least the filter to a certain degree. After the first change, it depends a lot on how you drive your truck and the environment in which you drive. If you drive in dry, on-road environments, mostly highway, then the maximum interval (10,000 now I believe) should suite you fine. I live in a very wet environment, and I use my truck in off road conditions frequently, so I change quite a bit more often. I am sure the oil could probably go longer, but I'd rather spend a little more cash up front than dirty up my motor with tons of carbon ans spend a lot later on.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not concerned about the cost of the oil change, I am just wondering when it should be changed. As you mention, opinion varies widely on this issue and given our 1,000 mile trip already, this oil is only two weeks old.
Yeah it is hard to wrap your head around emptying oil that still looks to be brand new. When I would break in my brand new motorcycles I would change the oil after the first 20 miles!! Mainly because I would do hard runs up and down the rev range and through the gears to get those piston rings to seat well. (Which is where a majority of your metal shavings will occur) I would then replace the oil and run it for another 1,500 miles from there and then change the oil again and then switch to synthetic.

Now I know I am talking about a motorcycle however any motor has its break in period and produces metal shavings as a result of it.

I sure wish they would come from the factory with a magnetic oil plug!! When you change your oil and see all those metal shavings stuck to them it is quite eye opening!

Anyway good luck in your decision and most importantly enjoy your new truck!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:35 AM
deputypq920
Junior User
Ive had my vehicles on a 5000 mile oil change cycle now for years and I've never had internal problems - ever. Just my $0.02, though.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wow you guys are going 10,000 miles (16,000kms) on a single oil change?? and i though 8,000KM (4970miles) on an oil change was pushing it! Guess call me old fashioned but I was brought up on the 5000km/3000mile oil change rotation.

Since i did get the ford maintenance package which includes everything but tires and headlights (dealer special) they change oil and all the filters etc at the 8,000km mark for the next 5 years for no extra charge. Even so I have been debating an extra oil change now that I am around the 3,000 kms mark. worked in a quick lube. best to find surprises early!

Old 12-04-2012, 01:41 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No reason for 3K mile intervals any more. I wouldn't go 7500 or more, 5K is where I change oil at now could care less what the oil monitor says. Unless something has changed recently it has nothing to do with the actual condition of the oil.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:25 PM
stuart1
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Whenever the dash tells me to.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Butl85
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think mine was right around 10k for the first. Wife's edge was almost 12k!. We bought hers first and I was sceptical about the over 10k oil change. But I called our ford service department and talked to many people that are knowledgeable about these motors and they said just change it when the computer tells you to. So I am ok with it. I'm sure if they were not being honest they would tell me every 3k so they could make more money on oil and changes. Motors are built a lot better these days.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:06 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 237 Likes on 103 Posts
I doubt if there's anything on these engines that actually samples the oil, so, it's just a mileage based thing from a computer? It doesn't take into consideration "highway", opposed to "city driving? In other words, steady mph and throttle, versus, stop and go.
It's surprised me how much stuff is computer controlled on this thing, so bear with me guys. Computer crap and I aren't very friendly to each other.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:30 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If it something that is likely to haunt you forever, do the first change at 2k or 3k miles, don't reset the oil change monitor, and then change the oil when the truck tells you to do so. Filters are really good these days, oil is really good these days, and the oil capacity of your engine is really large. In Europe, oil change intervals have been a LOT longer than in the US (like 15-20k miles for Porsche and BMW) and have not caused any major wear problems.

Do what makes you feel OK, but I would try to reset your paradigms based on modern technology. Just like tires last longer than 20k miles these days, oil lasts longer.

Have a long and happy ownership experience with your truck,
George

Quick Reply: When to get first oil change