1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 Bronco WILL NOT START!! PLEASE HELP ME!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:39 PM
flaniganjasonl93
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
78 Bronco WILL NOT START!! PLEASE HELP ME!!

I have a 78 bronco ranger xlt running a 351 Modified. I had it up and running about a month ago till the starter went out so i replaced the starter the Relay Solenoid or Starting Solenoid and alternator all at once. then the engine wouldn't start so i tried spraying gas into the carburetor no fire. In which case i replaced the the coil and distributor cap and still get nothing. So i just went and replaced the spark box or Ignition Modular and still get nothing. I have checked for spark at spark plugs and it is getting a spark.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what i should try next or do you think i possibly did anything wrong while changing the above parts?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

if it has spark and is getting fuel it should run.......did you jump time? doese it sound normal when you crank it?fi

Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Does it even crank at all? Next double check wires from things like battery, solenoid, dizzy, coil etc. Then if it does crank take a plug out and put it in the sparkplug wire and have someone crank it. If you are getting spark then it is a fuel issue. If no spark then you have issues in that department. If it does get spark, the next test is to pull the fuel line from the carb and hang it in an empty water bottle and have someone crank it over. This should spray gas into the bottle. If no gas comes out it is a pump issue.

Hopefully something works. if you can get these tests done then report back and let us know what happens.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 AM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
Received 1,243 Likes on 937 Posts
sounds like wiring. make sure your getting power to the coil. then check for spark.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 368 Likes on 278 Posts
Well the OP said he is getting spark at the plugs. Do a qucik process of elimination and see whats left.

If hes getting spark, that means the dizzy is turning and getting power from coil, if dizzy is turning then starter is cranking. After looking at that, it only leaves fuel, however he says that even spraying gas into carb wont let it start

My guess is that its not getting enough fuel or the timing is off.
Might be a good idea to check a few different plugs to make sure they are all getting spark.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I didn't read it completely haha, I think I missed the spark part. though he didn't mention anything about the fuel, he DID say he manually sprayed gas in and got nothing. I would also go with timing as well.

Op can loosen the dizzy and rotate it as someone cranks it. it should fire up eventually if everything is working. You could always stare into the carb and push the throttle to see if any gas sprays in.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM
flaniganjasonl93
New User
Ok guys I have replaced all electric components except voltage reg I do have bad fuel pump.(sorta) this is strange because it was just working fine 2 months ago now nothing that's y I spayed fuel in the Carb. When I turn the key you can hear starter kick in just no turn over to run. I don't know if I jumped timing but the truck still sounds like it normally did before. And Ive done all the basic test I could think of.

But i busted a ported valve switch.its the yellow 1 below the return hose on the radiator. I don't know if this would effect starting or not

Old 12-04-2012, 08:25 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
So wait the starter kicks in but it doesn't turn the motor over? That would mean there is no flywheel right? Or do you mean it turns over but doesn't fire up? I don't think that radiator valve is related to starting. How much fuel did you spray into the carb?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 AM
flaniganjasonl93
New User
I mean it just won't fire up there is a flywheel and its not damaged and is in good shape, but I didn't spay to much in it I thought it may be flooded also so I've been letting it set since Sunday morning am going to get fuel pump tomorrow afternoon along with the ported vacuum switch. The only reason I suggested the switch as a possible is because a vacuum line that branches off it is connected to the advance on the distributer.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:12 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Ooooh that switch. I thought you ment on the radiator something broke off. My bad, yeah that is pretty important for the dizzy to have a good vacuum. Hopefully replacing that pump will fix it, just don't forget to pour a bit of gas into the carb as a primer. Usually if you pour too much in there it can also backfire out of the carb. that can be a good sign showing that it has the ability to run. But anyways, good luck getting it fixed and let us know what happens.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Def get a new fual pump and fix the vacuum switch, hopefully that fixes it for you.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 PM
flaniganjasonl93
New User
Alright guys i got the parts installed them today and still not firing up. My guess would half to be my timing is off. In which case is there a easy way of fixing this?

Also the fuel pump i removed from the truck doesn't look to be damaged as far as i can see. It pumps air out when i manually pull the lever down. Could this be a sign of a bigger problem?

Thanks for everyone who has tried to help i appreciate all the help and the info everyone's posted so far!

Thanks
Jason

Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Does the new pump work? As long as it punps fuel i wouldnt be worried. These old carbs dont need much pressure.

I can't help you with timing. But you should def have it checked.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
How about some simple tests?

1) Check for In-the-ballpark timing. Put cylinder #1 on the top of the compression stroke, then take distributor cap off, mark outside the case where the rotor is pointing, put the cap back on, and see if it is pointing at wire terminal for #1.

2) Check for fuel at carb. Crank engine for 10 seconds or so to work the fuel pump. Open choke plate, look down carb with flashlight while working the throttle linkage open/close. Should see gas squirt from two places, one for each venturi.
No squirt?
_a) fuel filter is plugged.
_b) needle is seized in seat, or float is stuck high.
_c) accelerator pump not working _>should see lever work at front of carb when linkage worked to open throttle.
__c1) accelerator pump rubber diaphragm shot. Pull screws to check it out.
_d) Maybe no fuel from pump...
__d1) Check at input to carb. Disconnect fuel line at carb, aim into can or bottle, have someone crank the starter for 15 seconds. May want to unplug one end of the coil to distributor high-voltage wire and ground the end that would go into center of distributor, for fire safety during this test.
No or little fuel?...
__d2) Feed fuel from an external tank. Disconnect rubber fuel line at input of fuel pump, attach a few feet of similar size fuel line, open end into a can of good gas. Crank starter, will take some seconds for a good pump to pull air out of hose then gas, then through pump and up into the collection bottle. Still no gas?...
__d3) Check for fuel pump installed properly, that its lever is on the correct side of camshaft fuel pump eccentric to get worked up and down as camshaft rotates. If OK, and pump itself is good, attend church immediately, get an exorcist, and stay the hell away from me.

These are just a few simple tests, that at most will cost you ~6' of rubber fuel line, if you need to get to that step.

I'm sure others can add steps beyond this, if needed.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:51 AM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
Received 1,243 Likes on 937 Posts
have you double checked your firing order since swaping dizzy cap. i know it sounds simple but i've seen it cause problems more than once.

Quick Reply: 78 Bronco WILL NOT START!! PLEASE HELP ME!!