Slow "navigating" around FTE

Old 11-08-2012, 02:58 PM
4444me
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow "navigating" around FTE

Now it might be me (computer idiot) or my computer (old windows xp) but it takes at least a minute to go to another page. I'm new here (a week or so) and ever since I joined it's been so slow that I've clicked away (frustrated) before I get to post. I am active on several other "forums" and I do not have this problem on any of them so this makes me think that there is some other issue on the site side. I'd love to participate here but beind a.d.d. or something, the navigating issue is giving me a fit. Is this the norm or what am I screwing up ? Thanks

Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts
Perhaps you can give us some more information about your computer.

What internet browser are you using?

What security software are you using?

When was the last time you purged the temporary internet files from your computer or ran scandisk and defragmented?

FYI, I am using XP, with IE8 with no problems.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:24 PM
seattle smitty
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This site is so excruciatingly slow I never come here anymore unless I have an immediate problem. Windows XP Professional, IE8, just de-fragged, ran another cleaner, makes no difference. No other site I visit runs anywhere nearly as slow as this one, and it has been that way since I started and is getting worse. Yes my computer (HP Pavilion dv5003cl) is old and slowing down itself, but again, no other site is nearly as slow as this one.

(EDIT) It also runs very slow on the King County (Seattle) Library systems computers . . .

Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM
4444me
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glruff
Perhaps you can give us some more information about your computer.

What internet browser are you using?

What security software are you using?

When was the last time you purged the temporary internet files from your computer or ran scandisk and defragmented?

FYI, I am using XP, with IE8 with no problems.
Wait a minute let get my dog and I'll let you talk with him!
Let me try, Google, McAfee, don't know about purging (except after too uch to drink) I have sucky Hughesnet sat. service. Thanks for responding, and like I said originally, not much computer use/skills here on my part. I just don't have these troubles elsewhere. I do ge a lot of solitare in going between pages here.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:45 PM
seattle smitty
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should have said this with my first post, which sounds too much like bitching. I know little about computers, much less about running a website, and have no doubt that it must often be an almighty pain. I fully appreciate site hosts and admins, Mr. Ruff, and know that I could not begin to do what you do here. So when I tell you my experience that this site runs very slowly, it is to add data points, you might say, so that you can see the dimensions of the problem. Forgive me for sounding like a complainer above; I'm really just expressing disappointment, because I like the site, and would like to be able to use it.

--Smitty

Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
I'm glad I came across this thread as my system runs slow also. When I get to the forum list page a message comes on that says theres a script running that my internet explorer can't read and will cause my program to close if I don't click the yes box. Old machine running java script, internet 8 downloaded and installed but I'm told by photobucket that it's internet 7. Computer isn't used for anything immoral and this is the only public site I'm on. No facebook, twitter, ****, skype, linked or whatever. I basically use this thing for invoicing, estimates, e mailing, making flyers that kind of stuff. I'm so old school I actually use my phone to talk to people, taking pictures with it is still new to me. thanks for any help you can supply. I defrag and compack my files once a month on bath day. Lol.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:51 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, one suggestion would be to try FireFox with Ad Blocker Plus. I switched to it and it has been infinitely better than IE. Google Chrome also works really well. Nice thing about the FF with Ad Blocker is that it helps speed up a little because it gets rid of a lot of those pesky ads you see if you're not a "supporter".

Only other suggestion would be to log out of FTE and not only defrag but to clear your cookies, cache, and temporary internet files. You can also perform a disk cleanup in your system tools. Afterward, log back in to FTE and see if it helps at all.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:38 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Thank you Powerstroke, your assistance will greatly reduce my blood pressure and keep me from having a stroke. I'm using the firefox browser and life is much more pleasant.
thank you!

Old 04-07-2013, 01:41 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
You're most welcome.

I used to swear by IE until some friends on here and at work suggested FF. I never use IE anymore.

Did you download the Ad Blocker as well?

Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
I quit IE the day Firefox came out and never looked back ...and that had to be 20, 30 forty years ago

Old 04-07-2013, 03:09 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
I don't seem to have many ads showing up but I've got my Isp and router firewalls plus pop up blockers on. Ive been at live.com for longer than my cell phone provider and that account started Oct 97. Lately msn has been changing and my email page format keeps changing. My H.K.U education doesn't adjust to changes to well so I try to keep things simple. As a result I wind up using my computer as a basic tool. I don't do banking, phone calls, or many of the things others use their computer for.
I had a pay pal account but it cost me $1400 one month. The bank decided that I didn't need to know that someone was tapping my account for $63, 3 - 5 times a day. The branch manager actually laughed when I first started to complain. 42 years with T.D.. Head office refunded $1143. and sent a letter of explanation of bank account security policies.
I was just getting frustrated with having to wait up to 4 minutes for pages to open and seeing "program not responding". I enjoy a certain amount of stress in my life as it keeps me sharp. It's the uncontrollable irritating stress that spikes my blood pressure 180+ over 120+ that gives me headaches and causes me to see light spots. Which in turn makes me bitchy. According to the kids at the gas bar I've got a pretty good deal with my girlfriend and I kinda agree with them, so she's the last one I want to destress on.
Long winded I am I know but I'm really grateful for the FF lead and I'm sure that when I get used to it life will be a little bit easier.
Thank you for your services and advice it was and is much appreciated.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:17 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Nothing at all wrong with being long winded.

Just for the record, I can relate to a lot of what you posted there. Also for the record, dealing with some banks is nothing more than an exercise in futility.

And you're certainly welcome. Last thing we want is for any of our folks to have trouble accessing the site or its features so I'm super glad you're having better luck with FF.