1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

truckstock i'm coming

Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 AM
Doraville
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carnut122
I was hoping you'd volunteer to have it at your place so that I could be sure my truck would make it.
I know that you're just kidding, but I would certainly be willing to help host a TruckStock. My property is not that well-suited for it, but there are plenty of locations in North Georgia that would be good. I'm afraid that a good many of the TS 2012 attendees would not be able to make it this far south. That's why I'm willing to drive North (and West if need be) to make it as accessible as possible.

-DV

Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
I've been to GA once, for work, but the F-2 has never been there!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Doraville
Senior User
Regardless of where the next TruckStock is held, we should try to divide up the host responsibilities so that it all doesn't fall on one person. From a TS 2012 attendee's perspective it was near-perfect except we all would have liked for Doc not have worked so hard.

As a starting point, maybe we could persuade Doc to jot down a list of "do's and don't's" (or "did and won't do again's")?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm up for whatever or whereever but we were certainly spoiled at TS 2012 at Doc and Amy's place and I know atleast for me that nowhere else will ever be the same as Truckstock at Doc's. Ha Shane, don't that just kinda pull at your heart strings.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by homade
I'm up for whatever or whereever but we were certainly spoiled at TS 2012 at Doc and Amy's place and I know atleast for me that nowhere else will ever be the same as Truckstock at Doc's. Ha Shane, don't that just kinda pull at your heart strings.
Gary, I think what you're saying is:

Have Sponge Bobs, will travel

Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh Crap, here we go again!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Doraville
Senior User
It would be impossible to ever top TruckStock at Doc's place.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:30 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
One thing is for sure,Nothing is ever as good as the first time,In 2012 nobody knew what to expect,We all headed out for the unknown,Some where in south east Ky,A guy who called himself Doc invited the masses from FTE to come and spend a weekend.[Small town,mountains,hillbilly's,back roads,and Blue grass playing away}sounds like a Stephen King book.Some chickened out and some started out but only 20 or so made it. As I stated out along the creek to Docs place the road narrowed up and got real curvy.The farther I went the more unsure I became.{what was I getting into?}.Then I found a hand painted sign on the end of a long dirt road that went straight back into a holler.Like they say no guts no glory,up I went.The first truck I saw was Homemades,Well now I knew someone,Then this guy walked over in shorts and tee shirt,looking like he had been up for a week.This was doc,The other fellows came over and we all started talking and busting ***.It was like we had known each other for years,and there was great concern for the ones that hadn't shown up.Anyone hear from Bob was asked a lot.Why didn't Lance or Jeff,Trux,and more not come.Yes it was like a family gathering.Now as we look forward to 2013,we know what it ill be like and hope it will be as good.It is sort of like sex,A little unsure the first,But then can't get enough.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:42 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by homade
Oh Crap, here we go again!
Gary, just tell your granddaughter she gave you the gift that keeps on giving, to us!!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:55 PM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
I would add that the Truckstock experience was amazing due in part to the smallish crowd, very intimate, sitting around the fire with no ajenda, just folks telling tall tales, etc.

Maybe someone further west could create "Truckstock-West" on the same weekend and we could do some type of skype meeting or something like that to bring it all together. I also agree that whomever steps forward and volunteers to do this should consider a committee of folks to help get things done, it would make it more enjoyable for everyone....either way, I'm in!
w

Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DR Smith
It is sort of like sex,A little unsure the first,But then can't get enough.
Found the new slogan for Truckstock.

TRUCKSTOCK - It is sort of like sex, a little unsure at first, but then can't get enough.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Doraville

As a starting point, maybe we could persuade Doc to jot down a list of "do's and don't's" (or "did and won't do again's")?
Honestly I don't think there's a huge list do's and don't's. I would tell anybody to expect the list of attendees to change a gazillion times before the event. Also, plan as far in advance as possible. But the absolute biggest mistake we made was the catering. The food was delicious, but the attendance list was all over the place in the last few weeks, and we ultimately ended up with too much food, and I refused to ask the ones who showed up to pay more than their share after we had quite a few last-minute cancellations. The meal planning was my biggest headache. I've even thought about renting one of those portable concession stands for next year (like the ones that are used for festivals, ballgames, etc.) and just parking it there so that anyone can use it as sort of a portable kitchen. And then obviously make a couple of grills available. Other than that, I can't really think of anything major that I would change. Overall, it was a very easy crowd to manage.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
It would be impossible to ever top TruckStock at Doc's place.
Nothing ever compares to your first time.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
I know that you're just kidding, but I would certainly be willing to help host a TruckStock. My property is not that well-suited for it, but there are plenty of locations in North Georgia that would be good. I'm afraid that a good many of the TS 2012 attendees would not be able to make it this far south. That's why I'm willing to drive North (and West if need be) to make it as accessible as possible.

-DV
Yep, just yanking your chain. I'm with you on the rest of your synopsis. I think I fianlly got me brakes and steering sorted out. Time to buy some wheels and tires that don't rub against the bed. Maybe I'll even get it out on the road some day?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Truckstock is something I would definitely want to do next year. For my part, Doc's place is well situated, and quite easily driven to. Was interested in it this year, but have not been a member of the forum for very long (no one knows me very well yet), and the old F-2 just was not ready in time.

As it stands now, the truck is pretty well up to a long drive. There are still numerous items I wish to address before taking such a trip, but none that require major downtime and work. Kingpins in front need replaced, but are certainly not worn out, the radiator has sprung a leak, but will be taken out in the next week or so to be dipped and soldered. Front and rear glass needs replaced, and the window regulators are jammed, and require some work so I can roll the windows up and down without problems.

The big expense at the moment, is getting a new rim to replace the rusted one I now have as a spare, and replacing the Cooper SRM radials it wears now. Put the SRM's on the truck 22 years ago, and while they show plenty of tread, they are begininng to crack on the side walls. Just don't trust them. Replacement cost for new Coopers: $780 not including tubes. OUCH!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: truckstock i'm coming