1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

truckstock i'm coming

Old 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I love the teardrop. I wondering if truckstop could come a little closer for us northerns, just a thought. Everywere from here is 5000 miles lol.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Mervy49
I love the teardrop. I wondering if truckstop could come a little closer for us northerns, just a thought. Everywere from here is 5000 miles lol.
What's stopping you from organizing one up there? We have plenty of guys here on FTE in that area. Face it, there's nowhere we could have it that everyone could drive to.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:00 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Cool. I'm guessing you're less than 100 miles away from Bob. If he does it, he'll need a lot of help beforehand. It's a lot of hard work.
If I do go along and do it I don't think I could ever match Truckstock 2012. I will tell you it will be hard to even come close.

Originally Posted by jhaas63
I am probably near that 100 mile mark....

Regardless I would certainly do what I can to help out to bring a fun event together.
If I do this next year I'll be wrangling every Wisconsin and northern Illinois member I can find. Doc did a lot of work to pull it off. He was lucky though, he has a great family and many equally great friends who helped out. I'm a little lacking in both.

Originally Posted by Mervy49
I love the teardrop. I wondering if truckstop could come a little closer for us northerns, just a thought. Everywhere from here is 5000 miles lol.
That's my thought. If it could be held farther north hopefully our Minnesota, Wisconsin, northern Michigan and other norther region members could attend. Most events like this seem to travel the country so everyone has a chance to attend. I think I was kind of an oddity to travel 800 miles in a 60 year old truck but I would not trade the experience for anything. I will remember it as long as I live.

I'm still up in the air about hosting. I have to see how I can manage it. I'm conversing with Doc to see what he would do differently and what he thinks might not have worked out as good as planned.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Bob, I admire you for completing that trip, if you do host the show next year, I will try to make it, however, I can't imagine trying to do the 800 miles each way with Edith, other than on a trailer. I'm afraid it would take me at least 2 days just to make it to Indiana. With no heat/defrosters or air and a top speed of about 45 mph

Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Bob, I admire you for completing that trip, if you do host the show next year, I will try to make it, however, I can't imagine trying to do the 800 miles each way with Edith, other than on a trailer. I'm afraid it would take me at least 2 days just to make it to Indiana. With no heat/defrosters or air and a top speed of about 45 mph
Not much worse than the F-2, top speed of about 50 mph. Your ride might be bit harsher though.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I hope someone steps up.I only have 7 or 8 months to get ready.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I have also kicked around the idea of a get together at my place.......there are quite a few members in E Washington-Idaho-S Canada that are not too far away. It seems like a big undertaking though and I just don't know if I am up to it. Maybe 2014.

I have been fortunate to meet a couple members in person and I think it would be fantastic to get a bunch of us together. Too bad we are all so spread out. If any one can do it within a reasonable distance, I am in!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 AM
9teen56f100
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tom, I love the teardrop. Like to see more pics.
brian..

Old 12-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Lance Hogan
More Turbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This just a suggestion, but why don't you tie Truckstock to the Badgerland F100 Club's Dash to the Dells which is held a couple weeks after Labor Day in Wisconsin at the Dells. A link to last year's flyer is below. Just a thought.

http://www.badgerlandf100s.com/dash/dash23.pdf

Old 12-01-2012, 11:09 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Lance Hogan
This just a suggestion, but why don't you tie Truckstock to the Badgerland F100 Club's Dash to the Dells that is held a couple weeks after Labor Day in Wisconsin at the Dells. A link to last year's flyer is below. Just a thought.

http://www.badgerlandf100s.com/dash/dash23.pdf
The Dash to the Dells is a great show hosted by a group of great, friendly people. I try to go every year if I can. This year's Dash was held on the same weekend as Doc's Truckstock which posed a slight quandary for me but it didn't take much thought to know I had to make it down to Doc's.

It has been suggested that I could incorporate a cruise to the Dells if I held Truckstock here but it's a little over 100 miles from me so it would kind of a stretch to do it all in one weekend. It would make more sense to have anyone interested in attendinig the Dash to just get a room in the Dells. Maybe we could set up a meet there but just make it an informal gathering of FTE members. We could set up an area just for FTE members. If this is a possibility I'd like to contact the Badgerland guys first to make sure this would be OK with them.

The idea of small get togethers across the country is a very practical idea. I think it's better if the Truckstocks remain small gatherings, just members of this board. I've talked to a couple of people in my area who have started small car shows that grew into large shows which have a lot of legal, regulatory and safety concerns grow with the show. In my area if you have a certain sized event you have to have emergency medical personal on hand. The larger shows get around this by have the local fire department man a concession stand. Both parties get benefits from this but it still gets to be a big hassle.

I think keeping it a small intimate meeting keeps it simple. Doc went through a lot of work for his event and it was a relatively small gathering. I'm thinking of keeping on the scale of a high school graduation party. Most I've attended maybe had 50+ people show up. That, IMO, is a manageable size group.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:36 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bob - be careful what you wish for- my HS grad class in the Chicago burbs had just under 700 and that was only because the school split at the end of our soph year!

Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 PM
48fordcoe
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 9teen56f100
Tom, I love the teardrop. Like to see more pics.
brian..
Its put away for the winter ,I'm mad that I didn't take pictuce of it .I just got back for Fl. With it . I can wait to go some where with it . Watch out Garry we are thinking about driving up there

Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
When I came up with this crazy idea back in May, a bunch of people had just returned from the Supernationals, and it was a very hot, commercialized weekend with minimal shade, etc. Lots of people were grumbling about how they wanted something different. So I thought about what we eventually nicknamed Truckstock. It was truly one of the best experiences of my life--hands down the best gathering of gearheads I've ever been around. You guys are some of the best friends I have in this world. I'm actually sitting here in a lawnchair in front of my shop absorbing the sun. I've been cleaning up my new transmission. It's very peaceful. I still shake my head in disbelief about what a good time we had.

My point is this. I love the big meets and car shows as much as the next guy. But what we did here was almost magical. I am all for anybody else who is a regular member of this forum to host next year's meet at their place, provided they have the room, shade, and privacy enough that it maintains its family atmosphere. But I personally don't want to commercialize it or tie it in with a big show. If nobody else wants to host next year, I will most certainly do it again barring a big change in my life or some unforseen tragedy. But I would definitely be excited to hear about another option if somebody can pull it off and maintain the family atmosphere. I realize East KY isn't Hollywood, but I don't think any crazy hillbillies ate anybody, LOL. Point is--the location can be Anywhere, USA. The people of this board made the first one a success.

I also think having regional FTE meets among members of this forum is an excellent idea. I just vote that it primarily stay within the family of the 48-56 bunch here, ESPECIALLY if it happens on private property.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:32 PM
jhaas63
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doc
When I came up with this crazy idea back in May, a bunch of people had just returned from the Supernationals, and it was a very hot, commercialized weekend with minimal shade, etc. Lots of people were grumbling about how they wanted something different. So I thought about what we eventually nicknamed Truckstock. It was truly one of the best experiences of my life--hands down the best gathering of gearheads I've ever been around. You guys are some of the best friends I have in this world. I'm actually sitting here in a lawnchair in front of my shop absorbing the sun. I've been cleaning up my new transmission. It's very peaceful. I still shake my head in disbelief about what a good time we had.

My point is this. I love the big meets and car shows as much as the next guy. But what we did here was almost magical. I am all for anybody else who is a regular member of this forum to host next year's meet at their place, provided they have the room, shade, and privacy enough that it maintains its family atmosphere. But I personally don't want to commercialize it or tie it in with a big show. If nobody else wants to host next year, I will most certainly do it again barring a big change in my life or some unforseen tragedy. But I would definitely be excited to hear about another option if somebody can pull it off and maintain the family atmosphere. I realize East KY isn't Hollywood, but I don't think any crazy hillbillies ate anybody, LOL. Point is--the location can be Anywhere, USA. The people of this board made the first one a success.

I also think having regional FTE meets among members of this forum is an excellent idea. I just vote that it primarily stay within the family of the 48-56 bunch here, ESPECIALLY if it happens on private property.
Well said my friend...well said.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:33 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Just for grins, I googled : "state park cabins group camping with facilities"

This one popped up near the top, and looks like a viable option. Not only do they have group facilities, cabins, and camping/RV spots, they have a pool, showers, guided tours, fishing....

TN State Parks: Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park

The cabins are for 6 people, cost $100/night.

Anyone have experience with that place? What are your thoughts about a place like that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: truckstock i'm coming