1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

truckstock i'm coming

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
now we know why Bobj can't get comfortable when he drives.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by homade
Hey Kevin, the thing about that carb rebuild is that bobj is 700+ miles from home and Ross is 1000+ miles and they didn't even have a carb kit to work with. I think DR Smith had the carb in his panel truck, might be wrong about that. Bobj must have a set of ====s as big as that big steering wheel in his truck but it got fixed.
Gary, I might have had a "set of ====s" as big as my steering wheel but I also had a box of parts, including a spare carb. The carb wasn't a rebuilt unit just an extra one I had. With Ross help in diagnosing the problem we were able to cobble the two carbs together. The repaired carb made the trip home a lot more enjoyable.

I would also like to add that the trip was made easier knowing that I had an extended support group here on FTE and I knew if I had a major problem on the trip all I had to do was post here for assistance and I'd have a dozen guys offering to help.

The almost 1600 miles were well worth the trip. I had my pretty wife sitting next to me all the way and as the commercial says, that was "priceless". I had her all to myself the entire long weekend, no kids, no in-laws. When I first told her about the meet she wasn't going to go but finally relented. Now I think she's looking forward to the next meet. She thinks we should take the panel truck this time.

Kevin, now that you brought up the carb repair I have to agree, that's one part of the event that could be missed. Doc's initial idea was to just have a fairly informal get together, just a few buddies getting together for the weekend. I personally would hate to see this get blown into national event. I think the smaller regional meets is the way to go. The organized an event gets the more complicated it gets, and more expensive. I for one, have to really consider the cost, my personal economy isn't getting better and with the crap going on in DC it doesn't look like it's going to get any better any time soon.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Carolina 52
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garry, Your 400+ mile trip in the 49 was no less "set" worthy. It took a set to keep fighting through that to get the truck to go as far as it would go before the driveline broke. Most would have given up with the flat tire and had it towed.
Bob, precisely what I was talking about, yeah you would have eventually fixed the carb issue but you left there with it fixed and enjoyed the whole way home.
Doc's vision was on point with that type of thing.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 763 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Carolina 52
Doc's vision was on point with that type of thing.
This thread and Ross's poll goes to show how awesome Truckstock 2012 was and the impact it made on even the people who didn't go. It was only a couple of months ago and there is a huge discussion of the next one.

I don't know what my situation will be for the next one, but I'm sure going to try. It won't be with my truck (unless I win the lottery, and you have to buy tickets for that) but I would be happy just going and sitting in some of your guys trucks.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by homade
now we know why Bobj can't get comfortable when he drives.
Touchè Gary

Old 12-07-2012, 03:45 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe this is a crazy ideal? How about getting together at some members place that needs help with his or her truck,and spend weekend working together.We would have time for stories,food,and brotherhood and still help someone out.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by DR Smith
Maybe this is a crazy ideal? How about getting together at some members place that needs help with his or her truck,and spend weekend working together.We would have time for stories,food,and brotherhood and still help someone out.
California Missouri is a nice little town. I've got more work than you can shake a stick at. Don't have money for all the parts though.
One team can get the engine running smooth.
One team can build the brake system.
One team can do some body work.
Another team can install the transmission and drive train....

Sounds like a fun time. When are you all coming?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Seriously though. If someone has some work to be done that is reasonable. The experts could help with it and us not so experienced could learn lots.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:39 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
Seriously though. If someone has some work to be done that is reasonable. The experts could help with it and us not so experienced could learn lots.
It's a good thought, but keep in mind for most people (I think) this is a long weekend, most likely travel on Friday, get there late, spend Saturday and part of Sunday at the event, with departure (say) noon on Sunday. Some of us don't have to punch a clock any more, so a longer stay is possible.

If people drive their trucks, as is the intent, there'll likely be some fix-ups needed just as we saw at TS '12 -- nothing major, just shakedown stuff.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be careful what you wish for.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Dingo67
Junior User
So long as it is after April or May consider me there. Truck should be done and hopefully kink free by then.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:53 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anyone looking for a working weekend can apply here... Must love sanding.

I will buy the beer (or beverage), pizza (or food), primer, paint, and give you a free place to sleep!

If you enjoy your time with body work I will have ya back for assembly!

Old 12-13-2012, 05:41 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
when and where ?

Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Doraville
Senior User
Originally Posted by 52 Ford F1
anyone looking for a working weekend can apply here... Must love sanding...
Be careful what you ask for Andrew.

When I was in Jr. High, we had a shop teacher who brought an old truck in to have the students sand it down for him. What was he thinking? Did he not realize how utterly mean Jr. High boys are? (actually I think Jr. High girls are even meaner).

They sanded the truck for him alright. And all the chrome, and the tag, and all the glass.

PS- That same year, the boys in my home room had a competition to see who could get the most paddlings that year. I got 204 paddlings that year, which was good enough for 3rd place.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Doraville
That same year, the boys in my home room had a competition to see who could get the most paddlings that year. I got 204 paddlings that year, which was good enough for 3rd place.
What, did you guys have a hot female teacher?!

Quick Reply: truckstock i'm coming