6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Power Service Diesel Additive and State Law?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:03 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Power Service Diesel Additive and State Law?

I went in to buy Power Service Diesel Additive in the White Gallon at Tractor Supply and they asked for my birth date while checking out. The screen on the regrister display was blanking waiting for the figures. I asked why and they said it was state law or federal law. New to me. I refused and called back the manager and he said the same thing. Anyway mean time I went right over to WalMart across the street and bought a gallon and didn't get asked. Also went to a large auto parts chain Vt ME NH called Bonds and they didn't ask me either.
Bad enough they try to get my phone number in the past. My birth date? I could have lied. They didn't ask for an ID also I'm 64 years old so why ask?
I sent an email to headquarters too.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:28 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
I don't know whats in that stuff, perhaps the youngsters these days like the way it smells?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
lots of places now want a phone # and zip. I tell them no as well..it is so they can track you and send you junk.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:33 PM
OffroadSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always get the message if I am over 18 here in the Wal-Mart's in the Phoenix area. The cashier always has to override the system in order for the purchase to complete.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
i run some training programs at work...they require online registration to populate the class. It requires a DOB. So everyone is born in 1900.

Useless info..if they are signing up with me it is because they are employed already.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was at Menard's a few weeks ago to pick up a bottle of muriatic acid for fume bluing and I had to give them my name and address. Big brother is watching.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:28 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
You can't even take your soda cans to the local scrap yard around here without photo ID.
Other types of metal and they take your picture although I'm sure that's to catch the copper thieves, etc..

Old 11-30-2012, 06:07 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
I wouldn't mind showing ID although I look 64 years old. But to give out sensitive info? No way. Not needed. And the thing that got me pissed was the cashier wouldn't check me out when I said no. I should of just lied. Which is a waste of my time and theirs. Next time I'm going to tell them I'm lying and she what she say's.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
These companies that force a phone #, I may just start giving out 555-555-5555.
After all, I've never been asked for a "valid" phone number.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by kper05
These companies that force a phone #, I may just start giving out 555-555-5555.
After all, I've never been asked for a "valid" phone number.
Yes do that. Unless you think it's importent for them to know your number. I should have just lied about my birth date and checked out with out getting huffy now that I think of it. It's like fighting an upstream current.
I ended up paying $3.00 more a jug at Walmart because Tractor had it on sale for $12.88.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 PM
jh225
Elder User
Originally Posted by capt caper
I wouldn't mind showing ID although I look 64 years old. But to give out sensitive info? .
I understand your point about them not needing the info, but your birth date is "sensitive info". Serious? Wear a tin foil hat much?

Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 AM
huntindog
Senior User
I work in retail. I don't cashier anymore, but you wouldn't believe the garbage that they must endure for close to minimum wage.

Asking for ID for various items sucks. It is to protect the corporation, and puts all the onus on the cashier. For example in my state you must be
18 to buy ciggeretes. But the ID law says that if you are younger than 29, and the cashier fails to ID, then he/she can be arrested, and fined 440.00. That is just the state penalty. The company will give a minimum 3 day suspension, or just fire the employee. Imagine trying to explain to a 40 year old with no ID that they can't buy any because they look like they "could" be 28,,,and if they were then the cashier would be be violation of the law!

The law could just read that everyone must show ID period. Simple and to the point. But the companies won't support such a law nor will the politicians. They all want to act tough, but not **** off the customers/voters, so they lay it all on the cashier.

And this is just for smokes. Spray paint? different law. Alcohol? different law. medications? different law(s) WIC checks, food stamps,Lottery, Western Union, etc. ? all different.

You almost need a law degree to sort thru all of this crap.

And then they are all being timed by the computer (register). My company requires 105% efficency. Thats right. They must be 5% better than perfect, or they endure more garbage. So while you may decide to give the cashier an earful, he/she is likely concerned about the time it is taking. And how they will have to somehow make up that time in order to stay off the bad list.

So yes, a lot of laws need to be improved, but the cashier is under a ton of pressure, and it's not their fault. They are expected to smile and be nice, and not let on about what they are really going thru.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
My daughter in law had worked at a murphys gas center. A elderly man wanted some cigs so. She sold him them. The next day she was terminated as they set her up. She failed to id the edlerly man. Procedures stated all must be id checked. I understand procedures but sometimes there ignorant. She new he was old enough.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:53 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People used to be hesitant to buy online because of info given out.Now its commonplace.I look at it this way,In the grand scheme of things im one in a billion.Chances are my info will be safe.If someone wants your info they will get it.Bigger fish to fry In my opinion.Not to say you dont have a valid point but not worth my time to argue,and risk is minimal at best.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

I always lie to them. Its just the principle of the thing. Also been known to sign the receipt as Osama Bin Laden, Homer Simpson or Unauthorized User. They never notice. If it is somewhere that requires ID, I don't show my drivers license, but instead my handgun carry permit. They are not expecting it and sometimes the reaction is fun.

Quick Reply: Power Service Diesel Additive and State Law?