Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford V6 > 3.0L V6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2012, 04:24 PM
The Dr. will see you now!

Christof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud of
christof13t
06 3.0 - Where would first point of failure be if ran out of oil - diagnosing what locked up

so...
im not pointing any fingers..
but somebody fergot the old seal from the oil filter and ended up putting new filter on with old seal still stuck up there.
oil vomit marked the path of the post oil change test run for a good 100yds before it went dry.

less than 1/4 mile from driveway to locked motor.

motor since been unlocked by pulling plugs, and intake... dumping in oil... and starter bumped it free.

bolted everything back together and after it worked the oil out it fired right up.
smoked for 45 minutes or so light black stuff i assume from burning oil off in exhaust.

good power...
no real loss in economy that was noticeable...
but it has a significant tick going on.

heres the rub.
motor is already out.
was replaced 2 years ago almost.
so no vids unfortunately.
basically i figure the best head start i can get is ask you guys what you think.
worse case scenario a ring job eh?
Chris-PAA#130
Motorbug:2000 F350 Lariat CC,LB,6x6 7.3DIT,4" Turbo-Back, IH Bellowed Uppies, RiffRaff FRx&AIH Delete, Hutch/Harpoon,6637, 05-07facelift, dual cowl induction hood, Glowshift Max Tow gauges, antique BullyDog 1 Toon chip, 10k, Air Lift on rear axle, All the hitches!
420k & counting AE Total Ford Enhanced Bundle
Old 11-30-2012, 12:39 AM
Post Fiend

85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
If it locked and then busted loose, that would be reminiscent of my old two stroke dirt bike seizing, then running after it cooled off. If that happened, you will have aluminum from your pistons on your cylinders, just like my old Suzuki did. And you'll have a perpetual oil burner.

I can't imagine the mains and cam bearings escaped injury.

IMO, a complete teardown is required.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:04 PM
The Dr. will see you now!

Christof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud of
christof13t
cams are good. crank... not so much i think... will get that uncovered tomorrow.
oil looked like someone dumped silver glitter powder in it.

will be parting out everything that wasnt damaged. if you guys need anything hit me up.
ill post pics of the carnage and of goodies left over.
Chris-PAA#130
Motorbug:2000 F350 Lariat CC,LB,6x6 7.3DIT,4" Turbo-Back, IH Bellowed Uppies, RiffRaff FRx&AIH Delete, Hutch/Harpoon,6637, 05-07facelift, dual cowl induction hood, Glowshift Max Tow gauges, antique BullyDog 1 Toon chip, 10k, Air Lift on rear axle, All the hitches!
420k & counting AE Total Ford Enhanced Bundle
Old 11-30-2012, 06:04 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford V6 > 3.0L V6