2000 F150 4.6 Bank2 problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 PM
carlosrolle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F150 4.6 Bank2 problem

Hello guys
I have a 2000 f150 4.6 that would not run on bank2 ( the drivers side), even though the injectors and coils are all firing.While I was troubleshooting the problem I notice if you unplug the camshaft sensor and restart the truck it would then run on bank2, but the idle is rough.Can the PCM be the problem here.
The only dtc codes are p1000, there are no missfire code at all, and it dose not show a misfire on the scantool data so Im lost.
Can anyone help me please.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Something about this cannot be true.
Code 1000 in not a trouble code in the direct sense.
What PID/s are not complete? Your tool should tell you which one or ones are not complete.
When all PIDS are test complete the code 1000 clears. Until then you cannot clear a code 1000 by any means. Thank the EPA for this feature.
Each time you do a 'clear' action it makes the PCM do all the PID testing over again. The fuel tank system tests take the longest.
As to bank 2, if ignition is on all cylinders and fuel is being injected, timing has to be involved at some point.
The cam sensor (there is only one) provides the reference for fuel injection on 'all' cylinders not just one bank. If bank 1 is good the cam sensor is doing it's job and that cam is indexed correctly unless the motor has been apart.
Are the plug wires on in correct order? (a timing issue)
Are you saying the motor is only running on 4 cylinders of bank 1?
I don't know what you have at this point but gave some things to think about that might point you in the right direction.
Be very carefull not to run with missing cylinders and fuel being injected because you can lose the cats from overheating (raw fuel burns in the cats). That costs money and hassle on top of the orginal problems.
Good luck.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:37 PM
carlosrolle
New User
All the COP primary plugs are on the right coils. If you plug the camshaft sensor back in while the truck is running bank2 would stop producing power on the four cylinders, Bank1 runs fine no matter what, I set the valve timing over a few times and it has the same problem, what can this be.

What does PID/s mean?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Seems you should have cylinder codes if the bank runs that poorly.
The crank sensor measures each cylinder rotation time from the firing point for each cylinder.
If the rotation time for any cylinder is slower than the recorded average by a small amount for all the cylinders it is deemed a missfire.
So your saying the motor has been apart?
My bet is you got the setting wrong for one cam.
Note that the injectors have to operate at the time the intake valve is open for each cylinder. This well ahead in time before igniton happens. Back to a time element again.
With a situation like this there could be no other answer for a one 'bank' issue.
On a COP engine, the PCM has 8 seperate coil control circuits.
Since the cylinders in a bank are not fired in sequence but in a rotatioal fire order bank to bank each time, the PCM is never likely to be the cause of all cylinders on one bank at the same time. Only the Cam is common.
An I/M monitor is the seperate systems testing that the PCM does.
There usually are 8 Monitors for Ford PCM.
They are Missfire, fuel system, comprehensive, Cat system, Evap system, Ox sensors, Ox sensor heaters, EGR.
Within these monitors are all the test parameters called PIDS.
These PIDS all have fault codes associated for every test failure.
If you have one monitor that has not completed all the tests, it will show on your scanner in some manner and be the cause of the code 1000.
If the monitor detected a fault, it will show the code associated with the test and never reset until repaired.
Note a code 1000 usually does not light the CEL lamp, only a specific fault code does.
I know it gets a bit deep but this is what you are working with.
Good luck.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 PM
carlosrolle
New User
Thankyou Bluegrass7.

I have reset the valve timing several times, I have even set bank2 camshaft 1 and 2 teeth back and forth to see if it would run better and nothing has worked, I also took off bank2 cam gear to see if the aligning notch in the center had wear off, but its still like new. With the cam sensor unplugged it doesn't run extremely bad, just a little rough, it has full power if you take off, but when I plug the cam sensor back in bank2 stops producing power, and has no misfire codes or misfire data on my scan tool. At this point I might just give up on the truck its stressing me out.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:40 PM
carlosrolle
New User
I m going to put in another PCM and see what happens

Old 11-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
I hope you know it's not just a matter of plugging in another PCM for the test.
The PATS will prevent starting without programming.
Your heading into a guessing game that will cost a lot more money and bring even more frustration.
Good luck.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:57 PM
carlosrolle
New User
I cant think of anything else that would cause this other than the PCM.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Respectfullly, i'm not trying to hassle you but you did have the motor apart.
What was the reason?
Your discribing a situation that can't normally happen from a random fault without codes being generated.
You need to consider the fire order of both fuel and ignition.
In the fire order, one bank likley to be out in the PCM is very far fetched because the cylinder 5,6,7, and 8 do not fire in that order or any order 'just' within cylinder 5 to 8.
The only possible way would be if all the injectors or coils for that side become shorted to grounded taking out the switches in the PCM for those 4 cylinders.
The switches in the PCM can be tested with an Ohm meter looking back in, for a reading that measures the switch resistance to ground and 'not' see either a short to ground or too a high a resistance, but about 10k +/- range of normal circuit design that was designed into the switch circuit so they can be tested from outside..
Even if that were the case I doubt you would see the running difference with the cam sensor plugged on and off.
Those cylinder are getting fuel and spark but out of the proper timing sequence.
You do what you feel. I can't do anymore but explain the operation and the sense it has to make.
These are engineered systems so there is no room for guessing without expense.
No further replies from here because there is nowhere else to go with this.
Good luck with it.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM
vaper
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How are you making out? This one has me curious
Keep us posted