Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > New England Region > Massachusetts Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Massachusetts Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: donjamer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Junior User

white-horse is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rust Preventative Undercoating...

I am trying to figure out what is the best way to prevent future corrosion and rust from showing up on my 1997 F-350 7.3 PSD. I have just removed the bed, sand-blasted and painted. Looks new under there. Now, what is the best "stuff" to spray under there to protect it all?? Should I get WD-40 in a 5 gal. drum and run it through a garden type pump sprayer, or a 5 gal. drum of hydrolic fluid (H. fluid is low cost) and run it through a compressor/spray gun? Or something else??? I figure I would run this through my local area since we have to deal with cold winters and lots of salt!! I hate salt on the roads!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

donjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputation
Howdy White Horse

WD-40 would not be good.. It wears off easy..

When you painted did you use a good primer??

They have POR-15 that converts rust and is a good primer for frames..

I believe in Canada they oil the vehicles..

You could use old engine oil..

Never tried any myself
Don #3 SlackMaster
Chapter Leader of the Massachusetts Chapter
Join the MA Chapter Here
Currently own:
2006 F350 Lariat CC Super Duty, 6.0 L Diesel
FTE Fraternity OF Blue Max
Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Junior User

I did use a quality primer and paint, industrial grade. So its pretty protected for now. But I dont EVER want to see rust again. I just bought a heavy duty spray bottle and 1 gallon of wd-40 for only $16. Your right, it does wear off, but i'll hit it heavy once a month. However, every time they salt, I have to go to the spray wash and knock it off. Of course, that means another coat of wd-40. I have seen other stuff, amsoil makes something really good, but is EXPENSIVE! Eventually, i'll get a compressor and use the oil. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Posting Guru

Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.
SirJohnStone DiggityDooDanks
I'd never admit to spraying oil on my truck because I wouldn't doubt it's outside the boundaries of the EPA laws. However, I too have heard that it works really well. You could get a garden sprayer and put used motor oil in it and spray the bare metal parts that you couldnt paint. Water would bead right off and it would last much, much longer than WD-40. I bet it would last about one whole season if you did it right, ie when it's dry and ready to absorb liquid......

There are more eco friendly products such as Fluid Film that I've tried that work well. It lasts a while....but I doubt it works as well as oil.
John - Rose Clifford - '03 F350 7.3, A/T, Reg Cab, NEW 2012 Long Bed (pics), DP F6 [stock, no start, low idle, hi idle, 40t, 80e, 120r, 140ss] Foil Delete (pics), 6637, Hutch/Harpoon, 6.5" ProComp lift, BFG AT 295/75/16, Warn Manual Lockers, 4" straight pipe, Fumoto, 155k, B100 (summer)
Fixes; Non-Serviceable HPOP Plug, passenger fuel line pop
2011 VW Jetta TDI - Daily Driver
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Junior User

I'm going to try the hydraulic fluid (5 gal. for $30 at tractor supply) and run it through a spray gun. Oil is a great idea. But I personally would not like to apply used dirty oil. But that's just me.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Junior User

Thomas- is starting off with a positive reputation.
Waxoyl USA
Old 01-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Junior User

Do you think a garden sprayer would spray oil? Have you tried it?? I would rather use a garden sprayer than an expensive air compressor.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

donjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputation
I don't see why it wouldn't..

Never tried it, but I know people who have used a sprayer for staining their deck..
Don #3 SlackMaster
Chapter Leader of the Massachusetts Chapter
Join the MA Chapter Here
Currently own:
2006 F350 Lariat CC Super Duty, 6.0 L Diesel
FTE Fraternity OF Blue Max
Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Junior User

I'll try it and post the results.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:19 AM
New User

Ford 6.9 Diesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by white-horse View Post
I am trying to figure out what is the best way to prevent future corrosion and rust from showing up on my 1997 F-350 7.3 PSD. I have just removed the bed, sand-blasted and painted. Looks new under there. Now, what is the best "stuff" to spray under there to protect it all?? Should I get WD-40 in a 5 gal. drum and run it through a garden type pump sprayer, or a 5 gal. drum of hydrolic fluid (H. fluid is low cost) and run it through a compressor/spray gun? Or something else??? I figure I would run this through my local area since we have to deal with cold winters and lots of salt!! I hate salt on the roads!!!
I have a 1984 F250 Diesel 6.9 truck since new and the very best way I found was my waste oil. Yup! Waste oil I paint the frame once a year and their is not a stitch of corrosion. I just replace the engine after 400000 miles and the bed was taken off for a crimped fuel vent line and the guys at the shop were speechless. Grab a brush!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Senior User

BumpJr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've actually known old timers who wipe the frames down with grease. It's last awhile and it shines. I shake my head at it but can't laugh because they have some stock old trucks with no rust or rot. They other thing they do is squirt mystery oil in the hard to reach areas and places where there are plugs like rockers and door jams
Old 07-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Senior User

batchman is starting off with a positive reputation.
For spraying waste oil I believe the old timer recipe was to cut it 50/50 with kerosene. Need a place you can let it drip a while.

A fellow I know does a lot with old Unimogs and swears by the FluidFilm mentioned above.

Good luck,
- Jeff
Old 07-24-2013, 04:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > New England Region > Massachusetts Chapter