Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 AM
New User

bmexline is starting off with a positive reputation.
Non-Load Equalizing trailer towing?

2011 F-350 6.7 Crew cab, long bed 4x4. 3.55gears 20" Lariat rims.

I have towed a lot of trailers my entire life including my 43' fifth wheel and 36' gooseneck tandem axle dually flat trailer.

My friend had a 11,300lb (total weight of trailer and cargo) trailer he needed moved about 50 miles with a pintle tongue on it. Not having a pintle mount, he said I could borrow his. It is a 2 inch mount which means I would need to use my adapter to allow it to fit my 2 1/2 factory hitch. Being extremely safety conscious, I checked the tag on my Ford Factory Class V hitch. It says that, without load equalizing, I can only tow 6000lbs so I didn't tow it for him. I went and got my flat trailer, moved the cargo to it and took the stuff where it needed to go.

What the hell?? How can that be right? I have started researching and can't get a credible answer so I'm looking for some opinions.

I understand that most 2" ball mounts have a 5000# or 6000# capacity on them and most 1" shank ***** have the same limitation. So even if I bought a 2 1/2 inch ball mount rated at 14,000lbs with a 1 1/4 shank ball rated at 12,500lbs if the trailer doesn't have load equalizing then I still can't tow it with my 1 ton diesel?

I just can't wrap my arms around that. Can someone clear this up for me please?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
a weight distributing hitch distributes the load to the front of the hitch.

this puts the same force load on twice as much mounting hardware.

Did you notice that the draw rating was 10x the vertical rating? that comes from the 10% rule.

1,400# is a lot of tongue weight for a conventional pull trailer. As such, it will destroy your handling and braking.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 AM