Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Little Red is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Little Red is Dead

Hit a deer on the way to work last night. (46th street & 169)

So far what I can see is:
hood
radiator support
radiator?
battery tray
grill
l/h headlight

Fenders look straight
bumper looks straight

Deer went off into the woods. I'm sure it's got a broke leg or two and probably some busted ribs.

Anybody recommend a good body shop in Owasso area.

We'll see what the insurance company says in the morning...

Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Sorry to hear that. We used the shop just south of the IHOP, in the old marine dealer's building, recently and were pleased with their work. Don't remember the name, but can get it if need be.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Gary. They are new in that location, and I've seen a few classic's in there.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Bummer! That looks painful. We literally just got back from a 3k mile drive out to Santa Fe/Albuquerque and then back through here to Nashville and then home. Saw LOTS of dead deer and/or bloody spots on the road. LOTS of them.

Our son and DiL have just moved back to Delaware where we lived from '94 to '06 and where he went to high school. When we moved there in '94 our insurance man told us that there were far more deer/vehicle collisions than vehicle/vehicle ones, but our son says that in the 18 years since then it has gotten far, far worse. In fact, when he drives to work he sees several herds of 50 or so of them grazing not far from the road in many places. Obviously, the problem is getting worse.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If they want to write you a check, rather than have it fixed, I can tell you where to get new body parts that is often cheaper than a salvage.
Keystone automotive, just east of the traffic circle. They are part of the LKQ group, but I bought a new inner fender liner for almost 50% of what LKQ quoted me for a used one.

BTW, I saw your post on ranger station. Don't buy stuff from LMC, as keystone will be lower cost plus no silly shipping charges on everything. Having a walk-in store nearby has certain advantages......

Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
If they want to write you a check, rather than have it fixed, I can tell you where to get new body parts that is often cheaper than a salvage.
Keystone automotive, just east of the traffic circle. They are part of the LKQ group, but I bought a new inner fender liner for almost 50% of what LKQ quoted me for a used one.

BTW, I saw your post on ranger station. Don't buy stuff from LMC, as keystone will be lower cost plus no silly shipping charges on everything. Having a walk-in store nearby has certain advantages......
Thanks for jogging my memory about that place. I have completely forgotten about them.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
NP. I can understand the forgetting part. I forgot to log in here for right at 2 months, until I saw your situation.....

Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, Mike. That was a hard hit. How fast was that? The shop south of Ihop that the others have mentioned are what our neighbors used to fix one of their new Lexus body panels. I couldnt tell that any damage or repair was done to their car afterwards.

I've been seeing the deer near the pecan orchard the last few days. I"ve been slowing to 35mph on mingo just south of 76th street just to make sure i see them before they get near me on my moto.

Good luck on yer truck.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
I've been seeing the deer near the pecan orchard the last few days. I"ve been slowing to 35mph on mingo just south of 76th street just to make sure i see them before they get near me on my moto.
Yipes! I don't even want to THINK about hitting a deer on a bike. Ouch!

We came back from KS in Dad's truck last night as we are moving everything out of our folks' house since it is being sold, and some of the stuff is coming here to go on to our kids. That was the first time I'd driven the truck for any distance at night and the lack of headlight power was quite concerning - especially since we'd seen lots of bloody spots as well as deer carcases on/by the road on the way up. Today I went to O'Reilly's and got the parts for the headlight relay upgrade and plan to put it on tomorrow. And, I have Silvania SilverStar headlights on order as well. I want to be able to see those deer!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 AM
jwtimme
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My business partner works up there at fosters body shop. You may check them out if you need a shop to do the repair. LKQ almost has a monopoly in the Tulsa area on body parts and paint.

Gary did you buy new housings or just relays for the headlights. I bought some new housings for my 72 that use a H4 bulb put them on a relay and what a difference that made.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Ron,

That was between 40-45 mph. I always come of the exit with the brights on just for that reason. When I looked over my shoulder to see if anybody was coming over the bridge, looked back ahead that's when the deer appeared. It was running south to north. Happened so fast that I couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe.

By the time I called my wife to tell her I smashed the truck and work to tell them I was going to be late, the deer had gotten up and hid in the woods. First thing the tow truck driver did was look in the bed of the Ranger to see if I picked up the deer.

JW,
Since I can't drive the truck I took pictures to Fosters. He said that they couldn't give me a fair estimate from them, but finally quoted my around 4500-5000. They really wanted me to haul the truck to them, so they could tear it apart before they would give me a price.

The guy at Owasso Collision came out to my house during his lunch hour, crawled all over it and gave me a price of 3100-3500 depending if I have the paint blended.

Several people that I work with also recommend this place.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
JW - I didn't replace the housings and have Sylvania SilverStars to go in. They are said to be much brighter, so with the relays and new lamps I should be able to see - even with these old eyes.

Mike - Yes, it was Owasso Collision we used and we can't tell any difference from the panel they worked on to the original ones. And, they did have a collector car in for work, so I talked to them about doing the finishing stage(s) of Dad's truck. Not sure, but wanted to know if that is an option, and it appears to be a good one. Please let us know, though, what you think of them.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 AM
jwtimme
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A little high from fosters, I know those collision shops hate big projects but I would go to the other place if he was willing to go the extra mile and come to you.