1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

52 ford f4

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:52 PM
declinetostate
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
52 ford f4

I've been lurking for a while and I finally need some advice. I was out in South Dakota pheasant hunting a few weeks ago and ran into my grandpa's 52 ford f4. After showing interest in the truck my uncle said it's mine. The truck has been sitting outside with no glass for over forty years. The truck is all there but needs a lot of work. There is rust through on the lower cab corners, two spots on the hood corners, each fender has some rust through at the lower edges and the floors are shot. There is quite a bit of surface rust but it looks workable. The doors and the rest of the cab look solid and have all the trim pieces. The frame is solid and all original. The truck has a factory script flatbed that's solid. The original flathead v8 is there but my uncle said he wasn't sure if it would turn over. After hearing the stories about the truck and how my dad and all his brothers learned to drive in it I am really set on building this truck. Now I have a lot of questions. My idea is to keep the looks close to original. I'll run it as a flatbed. I'm starting a contracting business and would like the truck as rolling advertisement but I also want to be able to work the truck. I think I need a whole new drivetrain. I have a chevy 350 and th350 available but not sure if i want to use it. I know what you guys would say but lets say I want something in that power ball park. I'm trying to figure out what to do for brakes. It seems like most on this site change out the wheels but rework the old brakes and away they go. How are the stock brakes? can you get replacement drums? If I upgrade the engine/trans then I have to upgrade the rear axle. Part of me is thinking new axles front and back. I hear the back isn't too much effort but what about the front solid axle? Is there a close fit available? I don't want to run little 16" dually wheels. I'd like to keep a decent profile. what about newer 19.5" wheels? I'm just a little lost right now. I search and search this forum and come up with a lot of new info but I just need a couple starting points so I can research it. Like i said the truck is in SD and I'm in Colorado. I'm thinking of bringing it home next year but would like to figure out my options and start planning this thing out. The thing isn't in a "fix up and drive" condition. It will be a complete frame off rebuild with a lot of body work. Any info or help would be appreciated. One more question. These big trucks just have springs. Now if I did update the drive train how safe is it? Is there any benefit to adding shocks? If I'm updating axles I assume I could weld upper mounts. has anyone done this? What about air bags? Ok... ok... the wheels in my head are turning sorry guys. Any info would be great. I'd be lost without this forum.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:11 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations on getting a piece of family history. I'm restoring my dad's '56 he bought new. Just plan on lots of time and even more money, but it can be done. I'm a stocker, so I can't help you on most of your questions, but it all can be done. Welcome to the addiction, I mean the forum!

Old 11-27-2012, 03:37 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Welcome. Glad to hear of another big truck being saved, and one with family history. You've got a lot of questions in your posting. I'm not gonna be much help on some, but can say that the 19.5" Budd wheels are a near perfect replacement for your stock dual rear wheel 18s. To get a better final drive ratio while keeping the strength of a big truck you'll want to find a Dana 70 rear axle from a 1970s era Dodge based motor home. The same donor can give you its 19.5" wheels. I have one of these for a future project and it has a 4.56/1 gear ratio. Probably your stock ring and pinion are the common 5.83/1, but a 5.14/1 was also an option. Front drums are not plentiful, but you could check with Chuck Mantiglia of Chuck's Trucks in CT or Job Lot in NY to see if they have any. The truck has front shocks but none in the rear. When loaded you won't need or want them. Correction - the book shows no front shocks on F-4 and larger models.

Body patch panels will be the same as used on the smaller models, with the exception of front fender panels. The wheel openings on your truck are bigger than on the F-1, but same as on F-2/3/4/5/and 6.

Drive train is your choice, but keeping a Ford in a Ford will earn you friends here. Stu

Old 11-28-2012, 05:24 PM
BigBlockMan
Senior User
My Dad has an F-5. I saw him drive it one time when I was a toddler (I'll be 39 in Jan) just sitting in the woods behind my Grandmother's house.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:29 PM
dmack91
Elder User
From the sound of the cab's condition, you may want to keep an eye out for a replacement that doesn't need as much work. They are the same for all of the F series.

Should be a fun project. Post up some pics if you have any.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Be careful about replacing too much of the truck or you'll end up like the old guy telling the kid "I've had this pocket knife for 50 years. It's only had 2 new handles, and 3 new blades"......

Old 11-29-2012, 07:57 PM
declinetostate
Freshman User
thanks for the replies guys. There is a 48 f6 that looks available up north from me and it looks like it's in a lot better shape than my truck but the WHOLE point of this truck is that it's been in the family. The cab IS the truck to me. Yes it needs panel repairs and a lot of tlc but for some reason to be able to say I worked it back just seems gratifying. Now I'm even thinking of keeping it mostly stock. I think I'm getting the bug. I start hearing the flatheads running on You Tube and I cant help but smile. I don't know I might try to go as stock as I can. It's a hard decision and I really won't have an idea until I get the truck out here and tear down the flathead to check the block. I just wish I didn't have so much going on. I have to wait for a while before I can bring it out here and take on the project.