1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 F250 5.4 3v Timing

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:07 PM
jeffg2500
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 F250 5.4 3v Timing

Hi,
I have an 05 F250 5.4 3valve with about 160,000 miles. The truck started running terrible with a strong smell of gas from the exhaust (ended up being stuck injector cyl 1). Before I realized it was an injector, I replaced all 8 spark plugs since they had never been changed and I was getting a cyl 1 misfire code. As soon as I finished the plugs, I cleared codes, so key was on with injector stuck on as well. It started and now had a knocking noise as well.

I changed the injector after reading about the problems of them sticking. I also changed the oil, which had a strong gas smell. Also checked all injectors to make sure they were good.

I then tried to pull out cps, which broke and fell inside. Then pulled the valve cover on passenger side off to retrieve it and found the timing chain to be loose as well as a broken guide. The knocking I was hearing is actually the timing chain. I have just ordered a timing chain kit so will be pulling of the covers soon.

The vct solonoid had a broken screen so I will be replacing those as well. Is there anything else I should look at? I am not sure if after replacing spark plugs and leaking injector, another problem could have caused the timing to go bad? Cylinder one had the injector problem and I am still getting compression.
Sorry about the long first post. Thanks

Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do not remove the chains!! Use heavy duty zip ties and tie the chain as tight together as you can. If it comes off you will never get it back on the right way. It can be done with them on. I've done many on the 4.6 and never once removed them.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:16 PM
jeffg2500
New User
Thanks for the response. So just replace the broken guide and tensioner (Im assuming thats also bad, but havent pulled cover yet)? That would be a lot easier.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 AM
marc13
Freshman User
Talking

I'd repost your whole post. copy and paste but change the title from timing to strange noise. it will attract more views.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Kdr358
Postmaster
After work I will give you a detailed write up! It's on a 2v 4.6 but its the same concept. Get the parts at the dealer, you'll need timing chain tensioners, tensioning arms and timing chain guides. Also pick up the new front cover gasket/seals. You only want to do this once. Go to the dealer only for those parts! You have to replace everything on both sides. It should be around 300.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
First off, this is when I used to do the 2v 4.6 motors, This is the general concept of how to do it! so Please verify the torque specs with Ford. This can be done with only removing the fan and shroud. Simply move the coolant bottle still full if you choose to the side , Disconnect the battery, Remove belt,You might have issues with the upper rad hose when removing the cover so remove that if desired. You will be able to see the timing cover and all the associated bolts, most of them are 10mm. Now to remove the PS pump as you cannot remove a bolt with the pump on. Under the truck looking at the oil pan (front) you can see where the timing cover comes in contact with the oil pan. IIRC there is 4 bolts that need to be removed (the most forward bolts). Now go back up top and start taking out the various size bolts and studs. Make note of where everything goes as some studs have ground leads on them. There is 2 bolts on the valve cover (forward most) that need to be removed as well. Once all the bolts are out and everything is disconnected slowly pop the cover off, (this might take some effort, Be careful not to crack, scratch or damage the cover in any way as its aluminum! Once the cover is off set it in a safe place for now. This is the point where you should take your time. You should have holes in the cam gears which is later where you will zip tie down. Before doing anything take a large HEAVY DUTY zip tie, where the small crank gear is where the chain wraps around squeeze them together and zip tie together! ( dont be afraid to use them!) Now repeat for the Cam gears and put a few through the holes or just pinch them together like the lower gear. Now that the chains will not move un-bolt the stationary guide (very long on drivers side is the long bottom one). Un bolt it and slide it out then install the new one and tighten it down. Now you are ready for the tensioning arms remove the arm as its now loose and remove the tensioner and re-install the new ones the same way once everything is installed ( tensioners, stat guides and tens arms you can carefully cut the zip ties and let the chains rest easy. Inspect the timing cover for any wear/ damage. Install the new cover gaskets, apply black RTV to the ares where the block meets the heads as well as the oil pan and Valve covers. Re install the cover and everything else that was removed. Let the RTV set Overnight! Then start it up! listen for any noises or clicks then after about 10 minutes change the oil and your all set!

I know that was a mess to read but in a nutshell thats what it takes. You should replace the following,

Tensioners

Tensioning arms

Stationary guies

Timing cover seals.

Below is what I have gathered with the Torque specs, (They are for the 4.6 so please verify them before installing!)

8mm DEEP socket - valve covers
18mm socket - Crank Bolt + larger engine cover bolts.
10mm socket - engine cover
12mm socket - engine cover
14mm socket (oil pan bolts) 4 on the front.

*Note, the following procedure is considered a shortcut method to replace the timing chain guides/tensioner arms. This is not a Ford-approved procedure and should the timing chains skip over the cam or crank gears causing the timing set to go out of time engine damage will occur.
The new tensioners are spring loaded and have a clip to release them. Install the new tensioner first -- then the arms -- THEN RELEASE the clips. If you pull the clips out first you are screwed. I didn't do this but dealer told me to be careful with tensioner release clips...
If I missed anything please let me know anyone! OR if you have any quiestions feel free to PM me!

New parts installed

You need RTV here,

That is the re-install order.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 AM
jeffg2500
New User
THANK YOU!!!!
I really really appreciate the write up. I'm much more confident tackling this with it. I will let you know how it goes. Hoping to work on it tomorrow.
Thanks again

Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 AM
marc13
Freshman User
Question

Bump. Any good ways of determining if timing is off? And there was some light scraping inside the timing cover from the chains being so loose. We think both tensioners weren't working because the oil was shot and got filled with gas from a stuck injector.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Originally Posted by marc13
Bump. Any good ways of determining if timing is off? And there was some light scraping inside the timing cover from the chains being so loose. We think both tensioners weren't working because the oil was shot and got filled with gas from a stuck injector.

the timing being off in a modular motor will 99% of the time have nothing to do with the chains or timing components because the modular ford motors and many modern engines have such strict clearance between the top of the piston to the valves. If the timing was off even just a little bit the top of the pistons would hit the valves, then the timing is the least of your worries. What year and motor is your truck? I have seen tensioners fail. They are partially hydraulic and spring loaded. I think is your still having issues I would have replaced everything and not just the tensioners. look at my pics and you'll see all the guide wear and that could also cause minor issues. Have you done a full tune up or have any CEL?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 PM
marc13
Freshman User
We did the plugs and injector and when truck started you heard a tapping noise. There was no miss and motor seemed to idol great. The timing components are exposed now but we just wanted to make sure it was in time before buttoning it back up. We changed the oil and it reeked of gas, possibly from the open injector leaking past the piston rings since the plug wasn't firing. Also we noticed the passenger side guide(stationary arm) is cracked which I believe is the tapping noise we heard because it was allowing the chain to flop around against the timing cover. I could be crazy but that's the only explanation I came up with. I'm not a master tech but I'm hoping that because the truck was running great besides the tapping noise that that it's most likely still in time.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Just change it all, Tensioning arms, stationary guides and tensioner at once! New tnesioners on old guides can cause much more damage by applying more pressure and scraping all the material off and wearing to the aluminum.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 PM
marc13
Freshman User
Cool. Yea we have new arms guides tensioners and timing gaskets. Also doing a can sensor and vct solenoids(one was missing screens)

Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
just make sure its all motorcraft, aftermarket kits have been known to cause issues.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out YouTube.com for applicable videos. Here are two videos for the 4.6L engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAQwkISqdGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3gJxOcb4gw