Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Senior User

tps93ranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
How hard is it to replace ball joints on a 93 Ranger 2wd?

Just as the title says. I have three bad ones need to know how hard it is to change all of them. I do not have to change the control arms. Is it recommended to have the alighnment redone afterwards?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Elder User

reddog99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's not difficult if you have the time & the right tools. And, yes, an alignment must be performed afterwards. You can borrow a ball-joint puller tool set from many auto parts stores for free. They just charge your credit card number to insure you return the tools, then cancel the charge afterwards.

If you have to replace three joints, then it's advisable to replace ALL the ball joints. The others are probably near the end of their life anyway, and this way you only need to get one alignment. Make sure you replace both ends of the tie rods, too.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Senior User

grumpy hvacr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.grumpy hvacr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This is posted in the van section:Guide To Replacing Balljoints On Ford E150 Econoline Vans .: Articles

It's basically the same thing.

Not a super difficult job, just time consuming.

Having the alingment checked is a good idea, but I did not have it done on mine. I also replaced the caliper guide pins and repacked wheel bearings while I was there.

1993 Ford Ranger XLT Shortbed
4cyl, 5 speed, 2wd.

PA Chapter Member.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series