1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How can you tell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM
DJMabe
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can you tell?

What IFS set up I have? It's an older rebuild so I'm not sure what the PO installed. The truck has boxed frame rails up front and GM hubs but other than that I really don't know what the guy had installed. He wasn't sure either as he just took it into a shop and had them install an updated suspension. What do I need to look at to determine what suspension I have under the truck? It drives well but I really want to get the GM hubs off of there and put a Ford hub in it's place. I have a rear end issue as well that I'll address later. Any input is much appreciated.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pictures are in order. Put some in a Photobucket account and post the links in your post. JollyRogerJoe or articyblock will be along with more detailed instructions.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Welcome to the board! I have no clue about how to tell what kind of IFS it is.
To me, I wouldn't be too concerned with having GM hubs. The hubs might have come with the IFS kit and may not actually be GM hubs, they might just have a GM bolt pattern.

Bobby

Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Are there really that clueless owners out there? (Not you DJ the PO) Owner to shop: "here's a few $K do something to my truck..." Shop: "OK!, Sure!"

Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
My experience has been that once the transaction is over, PO's have little interest in providing information about the vehicle, and their memories fade quickly. I'm sure he has some idea what was done, or at least discussed it with the shop before giving the go-ahead. There's just no incentive for him to do you any favors now that the check cleared. Ask him which shop did the IFS, they should remember. If he can't remember which shop did it, it confirms my theory he's just not being helpful.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 PM
DJMabe
Freshman User
Thanks for the help guys. AXRacer, I'm really that clueless too. The previous owner was an older guy (Doctor) that didn't know a lot about the truck. He told us it was a Mustang II suspension but when we asked who's he didn't know. The truck had a few little issues that we are trying to clean up. Bobby, I'm not too concerned with the GM hub or pattern as I just want to keep it simple and keep the front set up the same as the rear. I am going with a Ford 9" set up in the rear and just don't want to have two sets us hubs on the truck when it comes to ordering wheels. I have a couple of pictures of the front end that I'll try to post up for you guys to see. Thanks again for the help guys.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by DJMabe
Thanks for the help guys. AXRacer, I'm really that clueless too. The previous owner was an older guy (Doctor) that didn't know a lot about the truck. He told us it was a Mustang II suspension but when we asked who's he didn't know. The truck had a few little issues that we are trying to clean up. Bobby, I'm not too concerned with the GM hub or pattern as I just want to keep it simple and keep the front set up the same as the rear. I am going with a Ford 9" set up in the rear and just don't want to have two sets us hubs on the truck when it comes to ordering wheels. I have a couple of pictures of the front end that I'll try to post up for you guys to see. Thanks again for the help guys.
You said the magic word: "Doctor". Those guys are clueless. I could tell you many stories.

Take some good pics of the crossmember and the components. Somebody will be able to identify it. When I ordered my MII a little while back, seemingly only one company sold them with the Ford 5 x 5 1/2 pattern, and it was very expensive.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:21 PM
DJMabe
Freshman User
Sorry Doc. I think I'm the only one clueless here. I actually have a couple of pictures of the front end up on my Fquick page. If you go to the link you can check out the photos there. I'll try to get it up on stands and get better pictures later this week.

http://www.fquick.com/DJMabe

Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Link not working.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 PM
DJMabe
Freshman User
Looks like the site my be down right now. It should be back up soon.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
It's definitely a MII kit, and looks like a crossmember from Fatman Fabrications.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with Wayne. Looks like a Fatman MII crossmember. I had one in a frame that I sold to "old_dan". Maybe he'll see this and chime in.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 AM
DJMabe
Freshman User
Ok thanks guys! I'm looking into more parts to get this front end converted and more up to date. What was really throwing me was the control arms. I didn't think any of the aftermarket guys were using these stock type control arms. Everything I've seen online has tubular arms and these look more of an OEM type. I guess it's just an older kit.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
How much you wanna bet the previous owner still paid for tubular A arms?

Hey guys, are those particular croasmembers routinely notched like that to accomodate the steering rack, or is the case where they took one and "made it work"?

Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Mabe,
I think I would have cried getting rid of that Porsche 911 Turbo.
Nice '67 Mustang. Welcome Aboard! You may have mentioned but
since there is no engine sitting on that IFS - what's your plan?

The truck interior looks very nice.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)

Quick Reply: How can you tell?