6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dealer Coolant and Transmission Fluid Change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:05 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Coolant and Transmission Fluid Change?

I know it's best to change the fluids yourself, I always have. I just don't have the time now. Last time I took my truck (old one, 7.3) to the dealer for the trans, they just drained the pan. I asked for a flush. The procedure is very easy and I had done it myself many times. Anyway, I know the TorqShift needs a hot flush machine, or more periodic pan drains. I called one dealer that has screwed me before and said they just did the pan and a flush causes problems. Well BS on that.

I just called another dealer and they have the hot flush machine and said it would be $140, that would replace all of the fluid and they replace the external filter. Seems reasonable from what I've read. I also asked about a coolant flush. he said they had a machine for that too that would get all of the fluid out. He said it runs $85. That seems reasonable too. I'm sure they use tap water in the machine. I do have a coolant filter I will be installing after the flush, maybe right before. What do you think about the coolant change he described? The previous owner said the coolant had about 20k on it, but I don't know how it was changed, just drained etc. He did have the head studs done as well as the full Bullet Proof Diesel kit installed, EGR, oil cooler etc. Put about 8 into it. He had no prior issues, just preventative work. He is a diesel mechanic, I think heavy machinery. I figured since I had it in, I'd get it done. I'm actually taking it in for something else so I thought I'd have these things done while I'm in.

At any rate, just curious as to what you guys thought? The guy at the dealership sounded like he was knowledgeable and didn't have to go run and ask a tech every time I asked a question. I also confirmed what would be done a couple of times, complete flushes, trans filter etc.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
So... anyone familiar with the dealer coolant flush machine? Just curious how it works.
Thanks,
Steve

Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is a vacuum based machine most likely. Pulls all the fluid out, puts a vacuum on the system then pulls new coolant in after. It's the "new" way. Quick and easy. They should run a cleaner through it too. Both prices are very reasonable though, and I would do it for the price.

With the BPD setup you have the way and type of flush isn't so important, but nonetheless a good idea!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
I thought it HAD to be a "heated" machine so the temp sensor can open the valve so the fluid in the Torque converter can also be replaced.....

Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by BPofMD
I thought it HAD to be a "heated" machine so the temp sensor can open the valve so the fluid in the Torque converter can also be replaced.....
It does have to be hot to get the system to open up and do a full flush. Otherwise, they just drain the pan replacing about half of the fluid. Guys are doing that and replacing the fluid at closer intervals. I prefer to get it all out and replace with all new fluid. Apparently a lot of dealers don't have the heated flush machine, and they can be hard to find in some areas. The second place I called in my area had one. I've also read some places charge $280 or so to do it! I think my quote of $140 with the external filter is pretty good. I see some dealerships charging $30-$40 for the filter. Some don't even replace it! I think it can bought at Tousley for about $20.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:17 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
If you decide to do some fluid changes on your own, try this site::

[NTZ09-C09B] - Ford Torqshift transmission external Transmission Filter(replaces FT145)-Includes O-ring - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks

External tranny filter NTZ (which is the same as Ford filter, cause they make it for Ford)
is $12.99

Racor for oil filter [PFL2016] $13.95

Racor fuel filters [PFF-4616] $35.75

Riff Raff diesel also has filters available:

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: - OEM/Factory Parts

Old 11-25-2012, 01:05 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Well, another lackluster visit to the dealer. All sounded good on the phone and turned out okay I suppose. I looked at the bill when they were done and didn't see a charge for the external transmission filter. When I asked about it, the guy went to ask the tech. He came back and said they don't change them because the filter housing almost always cracks when they do and they don't stock them. He said the housing was something like $160. I said I'd never heard that and wasn't in the mood to argue. When I called for the appointment, I was clear when asking if they changed it and was told yes a few times. Anyone heard of the housing cracking?

The coolant was a bit more than quoted and they charged $160 to install my 1/2 shell BPD FICM. The trans/coolant and FICM all took him about one hour and forty five minutes. I was told they would just charge for whatever time the FICM R&R took but I have a feeling I was had again. I know he probably did it in about 30 minutes. Oh well, my fault for not being able to get the PITA plugs out. I swear, I have never been to the dealer and walked away happy. I never expect too but always hope. It's done though, except the filter. FICM made a big difference. I now have 48V at startup, was getting low 40's or even less for a couple of minutes and hard starts before.

Oh yeah, when I opened the hood, I noticed the degauss bottle bolts were barley started I hand turned them a lot then tightened securely. Seriously, do any of these guys work on customer's vehicles like they were their own. At least pretend like you give a crap!

One more thing, this should have been a sign to just go home... When I pulled up to the service door they immediately opened it up. I drove in then saw a gal in a car coming in behind me. As I watched in the mirror, I couldn't believe it, the door was coming down! Yep, smash, right on her roof!!! I sat there a second wondering how it would play out. I got out of the truck and heard a guy apologizing profusely! She didn't seem too mad but I think it scared the hell out of her. At least they didn't shut it on me!

Old 11-25-2012, 01:36 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
The housing can crack if using a standard ratchet to break the cap loose. That's why you use an impact gun.

Josh

Old 11-25-2012, 01:42 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
The housing can crack if using a standard ratchet to break the cap loose. That's why you use an impact gun.

Josh
Thanks Josh, good to know! How much fluid will I lose if I open the housing and change the filter? Not even sure where it is for sure, think I may have spotted it once but will have to get under and check. What are the chances of cracking with the impact? How important is it to change that filter?
Thanks again!
Steve

Old 11-25-2012, 01:45 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by hink10
Thanks Josh, good to know! How much fluid will I lose if I open the housing and change the filter? Not even sure where it is for sure, think I may have spotted it once but will have to get under and check. What are the chances of cracking with the impact? How important is it to change that filter?
Thanks again!
Steve
Barely anything, maybe half a quart.

If it hasn't been changed in a while they get pretty nasty.

Chances of cracking? Not sure, again depends on how long it's been on there. I've always used an impact gun to zip it off. It's on the passenger side right next to the radiator.

Josh

Old 11-25-2012, 01:49 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic

Chances of cracking? Not sure, again depends on how long it's been on there. I've always used an impact gun to zip it off. It's on the passenger side right next to the radiator.

Josh
Thanks, that's where I thought I saw it. I'll contact the previous owner and see if he changed it before.
Steve

Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If it's been changed before you shouldn't have to much problems, if it's never been changed, it could be more difficult to get off. WD 40 or something on the filter cap threads 2 or 3 times and a good few hours soak will give you a better chance of loosening without breaking it. It would also be good to support the housing with a strap wrench to counteract the air ratchet so the housing and lines don't get damaged.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:39 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dealer charged me 255 for a trans flush and filter and screen change

Old 11-25-2012, 01:58 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Josh
Eight ozs. to be exact.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Steve

Quick Reply: Dealer Coolant and Transmission Fluid Change?