Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1967 F100 4BT cummins daily driver build

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #226  
Old 05-18-2015, 07:22 AM
bajafishnut's Avatar
bajafishnut bajafishnut is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Ribera, Baja, Mexico
Posts: 551
bajafishnut is starting off with a positive reputation.
bajafishnut
This ride will roll forever, probably well past the life expectancy of the youngest Ford owner. Superb work amigo. The benchmark of excellence. Kudos.

Baja
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 05-20-2015, 05:12 AM
f100today's Avatar
f100today f100today is online now
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 951
f100today is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Got the oil pan shortened. I lost about 1 qt of oil.













__________________
67 F100, 4BT cummins, Compound turbos, 700R4 OD tranny, Custom dash, mustang II, QA1 coil overs, One piece windows.

build thread: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...ver-build.html
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 05-24-2015, 11:05 AM
f100today's Avatar
f100today f100today is online now
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 951
f100today is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Making a little progress. Got the engine and tranny in.









__________________
67 F100, 4BT cummins, Compound turbos, 700R4 OD tranny, Custom dash, mustang II, QA1 coil overs, One piece windows.

build thread: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...ver-build.html
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 05-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Randle's Avatar
Randle Randle is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 472
Randle has a very good reputation on FTE.Randle has a very good reputation on FTE.Randle has a very good reputation on FTE.
It is sure looking good, Your doing a great job on it. Let me change subject on you, would you need a set of inside door handles. When I ordered mine for the 70 NPD sent me a set for a 67 and when I called them they set me the right ones but said keep the 67's, so I have a new set still in the box, if you can use them I would be glad to send them to you.
__________________
Bumpside Kingdom Court Dance Instructor...
A person afraid of a challenge will never reach his full potential.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 05-24-2015, 01:08 PM
ultraranger ultraranger is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Camden, Arkansas
Posts: 1,232
ultraranger has a good reputation on FTE.ultraranger has a good reputation on FTE.ultraranger has a good reputation on FTE.
Cool build and very nice work.

I'm not certain if you have the stock small diameter Mustang II front rotors (?). [9.250" diameter]. From what I can tell from the photos, the rotors look rather small inside the wheels.

Even if they're upgraded to 10.5" or 11", that would still be small for all the weight added to the truck. Most MII kits were designed for much lighter street rods and cars.


All the additional weight added is going to add to the dynamics of the kinetic forces on the brakes, in trying to slow a vehicle in motion. Simply put, it's going to heavily tax the brakes that were designed for a much lighter car.

If the spindles are the stock designed MII, you can add 3-3/4" rotor diameter to those spindles by switching to 13" diameter '94-'04 SN95 Cobra Mustang front rotors, with 5-on-4.5" lug pattern.

This will also get rid of the heavier single piston MII cast iron calipers for much better and lighter Cobra PBR aluminum twin piston calipers.

This setup will require at least a 17" diameter wheel to clear the front Cobra rotors/calipers but, the benefits of much larger and much better performing brakes is worth it.

There were three SN95 Mustangs that had these brakes: '94-'04 Cobras, '01 Bullitt Mustangs and '03/'04 Mach 1s. The Cobras had charcoal colored calipers with the word "COBRA" written on the side (2004 10th anniversary Cobra calipers were red w/"COBRA" written on them). The '01 Bullitt Mustangs had a running horse logo on the calipers. The Mach 1 calipers (like on my '03 Mach 1) had plain charcoal calipers --no logos or writing on them.

In following photos: 13" Cobra rotors with '01 Bullitt Mustang calipers on the '75-'80 Granada spindles on my '68 Mustang --Granada spindle pins are the same as MII. Only difference is the ball joint mounts, caliper anchor brackets and the rotor diameter, --stock Granada rotor is 11.03" dia.

This will give you some idea as to the size of the Cobra front brakes.





Cobra-to-MII spindle adapter brackets can be purchased at the following link.
cobrabrakes

....the Cobra caliper adapter bracket on my '68 Mustang didn't come from MS. That 6061 T6 aluminum bracket was my design.

Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 05-24-2015, 01:21 PM
1972RedNeck's Avatar
1972RedNeck 1972RedNeck is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Townsend, MT
Posts: 2,571
1972RedNeck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How long do you think the 700R4 will last?
__________________
1966 F250 4X4 416 Clark 280V
1990 F350 4X4 4BTA E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Why polish a turd?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Based on everything I've here in Fte, websites, and articles, a 12-valve Cummins is the no-brainer choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F357 View Post
Let's be honest, people just don't swap powerstrokes. There is a reason for this.
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 05-24-2015, 01:56 PM
bajafishnut's Avatar
bajafishnut bajafishnut is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Ribera, Baja, Mexico
Posts: 551
bajafishnut is starting off with a positive reputation.
bajafishnut
I am loving this build, even though I am a F 250 4x4 man, all the way. This build has me singing a new tune. I cannot wait to hear it running...

Baja
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 05-24-2015, 03:04 PM
f100today's Avatar
f100today f100today is online now
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 951
f100today is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randle View Post
It is sure looking good, Your doing a great job on it. Let me change subject on you, would you need a set of inside door handles. When I ordered mine for the 70 NPD sent me a set for a 67 and when I called them they set me the right ones but said keep the 67's, so I have a new set still in the box, if you can use them I would be glad to send them to you.
First off; thanks for the comp. Wow! Thanks for the offer! I already have some new ones from DC but maybe there is another member that could use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraranger View Post
Cool build and very nice work.

I'm not certain if you have the stock small diameter Mustang II front rotors (?). [9.250" diameter]. From what I can tell from the photos, the rotors look rather small inside the wheels.

Even if they're upgraded to 10.5" or 11", that would still be small for all the weight added to the truck. Most MII kits were designed for much lighter street rods and cars.


All the additional weight added is going to add to the dynamics of the kinetic forces on the brakes, in trying to slow a vehicle in motion. Simply put, it's going to heavily tax the brakes that were designed for a much lighter car.

If the spindles are the stock designed MII, you can add 3-3/4" rotor diameter to those spindles by switching to 13" diameter '94-'04 SN95 Cobra Mustang front rotors, with 5-on-4.5" lug pattern.

This will also get rid of the heavier single piston MII cast iron calipers for much better and lighter Cobra PBR aluminum twin piston calipers.

This setup will require at least a 17" diameter wheel to clear the front Cobra rotors/calipers but, the benefits of much larger and much better performing brakes is worth it.

There were three SN95 Mustangs that had these brakes: '94-'04 Cobras, '01 Bullitt Mustangs and '03/'04 Mach 1s. The Cobras had charcoal colored calipers with the word "COBRA" written on the side (2004 10th anniversary Cobra calipers were red w/"COBRA" written on them). The '01 Bullitt Mustangs had a running horse logo on the calipers. The Mach 1 calipers (like on my '03 Mach 1) had plain charcoal calipers --no logos or writing on them.

In following photos: 13" Cobra rotors with '01 Bullitt Mustang calipers on the '75-'80 Granada spindles on my '68 Mustang --Granada spindle pins are the same as MII. Only difference is the ball joint mounts, caliper anchor brackets and the rotor diameter, --stock Granada rotor is 11.03" dia.

This will give you some idea as to the size of the Cobra front brakes.
Thanks man. Thats a lot of good info right there. Unfortunately I am to the point of no return now. The disc are from a 2003 -2008 ram 1500; they are almost 12 inches in diameter and really thick. That truck weighs 1500 lbs more than mine and came with 20 inch wheels. The calipers are GM big bore, the spindles are forged steel, and I upgraded the ball joints to a K719 which is a much larger diameter shaft then the standard Chrysler / ford ball joint. I guess the disk look so small because of the 20 inch wheel? Looking back at this build, I should have done one of the aftermarket GM suspensions from Scotts or one of those. They are very heavy duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
How long do you think the 700R4 will last?
Not really sure. Pheonix is confident it will be fine. Hind sight; I wish I would have done the dodge auto tranny. If the 700r4 doesn't work out I will upgrade to a 4l80e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajafishnut View Post
I am loving this build, even though I am a F 250 4x4 man, all the way. This build has me singing a new tune. I cannot wait to hear it running...

Baja
Thanks Baja! You aint the only one that wants this thing running!
__________________
67 F100, 4BT cummins, Compound turbos, 700R4 OD tranny, Custom dash, mustang II, QA1 coil overs, One piece windows.

build thread: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...ver-build.html
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 05-24-2015, 06:11 PM
blue04.5's Avatar
blue04.5 blue04.5 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,267
blue04.5 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nice updates, F100, I hope you are enjoying your Memorial weekend!
__________________
74 F100 2wd 347 - Bad Penny
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 05-25-2015, 09:31 PM
71Nky's Avatar
71Nky 71Nky is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Central KY
Posts: 206
71Nky is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
How long do you think the 700R4 will last?
I have one with over 440,XXL miles and going. And I drive them hard.
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 05-25-2015, 10:12 PM
1972RedNeck's Avatar
1972RedNeck 1972RedNeck is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Townsend, MT
Posts: 2,571
1972RedNeck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Nky View Post
I have one with over 440,XXL miles and going. And I drive them hard.
Not behind a hopped up 4 cylinder Cummins you don't. Big Block Chevy's eat "built" 700R4's for lunch. From experience, I would bet that the 4 cylinder will be even harder on it because of the less power "pulses" per revolution than that of an 8 cylinder or even 6 cylinder.
__________________
1966 F250 4X4 416 Clark 280V
1990 F350 4X4 4BTA E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Why polish a turd?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Based on everything I've here in Fte, websites, and articles, a 12-valve Cummins is the no-brainer choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F357 View Post
Let's be honest, people just don't swap powerstrokes. There is a reason for this.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:12 PM
 
 
 
Reply


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which hood latch for my 67? Pics f100today 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 6 01-10-2015 04:21 PM
Behold the one piece window! f100today 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 52 07-07-2014 01:02 PM
Big steel wheels. Not for everybody butů... f100today 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 13 06-10-2014 04:52 AM
Creating the seat... dwil Arizona Chapter 5 04-27-2014 10:08 PM
1967 Dash -- MY WAY f100today 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 10 09-04-2013 01:57 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up ╗


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford« is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup