6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

$10 Winter Front

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 05:13 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile $10 Winter Front

It's been pretty cold here recently and I've been having a hard time keeping the truck above 140*F when I'm just driving around town, and it's only going to get colder, so I set out to find a winter front. Much to my dismay options are fairly limited. All of the vinyl covers, such as the one from Fia, required snaps which I wasn't too keen on. I did see where someone had taken a Ford cover from a 6.4 superduty and made it fit, which I thought about doing until I ended up finding the cloud rider inserts, which I really liked, but they are obscenely expensive, $550, for a few bits of metal, mighty fine bits maybe, but still obscene. I did manage to find a similar type product on ebay, but it didn't cover as much as I'd of liked.

So I thought Hey! I can make that! I didn't really feel I needed a metal one, nor did I care to work with metal for this even though I do happen to have a few sheets of stainless sitting around.

I ended up buying a sheet of black textured plastic from Menards for about $10.

And spent a few hours cutting out the required pieces.

I then bolted it to the grill using some fender washers on the back side.

And the final product

Overall it turned out pretty well, I've left some space around most of the pieces for some airflow, but the fan should be able to pull all it needs through the bumper. Originally I was going to paint the bolts black, but once I got them on I kind of liked them the way they were. By the time I got it all back together it had warmed up outside to about 30*F, but the truck still warmed up noticeably quicker. It didn't seem to have a problem maintaining temps in town or on the highway, the fan never even bothered to kick in all day.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Great Idea! Better than my making a 6.4 cover work!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice work, I likeee! I wonder if you'll need to make one more piece to go between the tow hooks in the front bumper.

It looks like you could eat off your shop floor.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:45 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,992 Likes on 2,193 Posts
That looks absolutely fantastic!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,388 Likes on 2,086 Posts
Very nice job and a great idea!

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. Quote from Red Green.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very Nice!!!

I like the idea. It gets pretty darned cold around here in the winter also. This would sure help with quicker warm-ups. Reps sent.

Any chance of using a fastener that would allow you to install/remove without removing the grille?

I don't mean to downplay your idea. Quite the contrary. I bet you could market your product if you could use a different fastener on the back side. I'm simply too lazy to remove my grille twice a year for a winter front. A grille insert I had on a previous truck used a longer strap type of fastener on the back side, so that once you started to tighten the bolts, it would hold itself in place and simply pinch the grille between the insert and the back of the grille. Just an idea. I certainly don't mean to take away from your mod. I think it's awesome.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Awesome idea! I might have to copy this

Old 11-24-2012, 08:53 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. Quote from Red Green.
The Red Green Show is so funny. My wife and I used to watch it every week. That and SCTV. Our northern neighbors certainly have produced some fine entertainment.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:23 AM
DynamoDale
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by screwy
It's been pretty cold here recently and I've been having a hard time keeping the truck above 140*F when I'm just driving around town, and it's only going to get colder, so I set out to find a winter front. Much to my dismay options are fairly limited. All of the vinyl covers, such as the one from Fia, required snaps which I wasn't too keen on. I did see where someone had taken a Ford cover from a 6.4 superduty and made it fit, which I thought about doing until I ended up finding the cloud rider inserts, which I really liked, but they are obscenely expensive, $550, for a few bits of metal, mighty fine bits maybe, but still obscene. I did manage to find a similar type product on ebay, but it didn't cover as much as I'd of liked.

So I thought Hey! I can make that! I didn't really feel I needed a metal one, nor did I care to work with metal for this even though I do happen to have a few sheets of stainless sitting around.

I ended up buying a sheet of black textured plastic from Menards for about $10.

And spent a few hours cutting out the required pieces.

I then bolted it to the grill using some fender washers on the back side.

And the final product

Overall it turned out pretty well, I've left some space around most of the pieces for some airflow, but the fan should be able to pull all it needs through the bumper. Originally I was going to paint the bolts black, but once I got them on I kind of liked them the way they were. By the time I got it all back together it had warmed up outside to about 30*F, but the truck still warmed up noticeably quicker. It didn't seem to have a problem maintaining temps in town or on the highway, the fan never even bothered to kick in all day.

Great job and looks awesome! Better get a patent on it and run with it.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Very nice work! I'm curious to see if you notice decreased warmup times with it.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:30 AM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Thats an excellent job! Me, I'd just use parts of a Pampers box and duct tape.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for sharing, reps left.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 AM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Everyone!

Originally Posted by Tomahawk
Very nice work, I likeee! I wonder if you'll need to make one more piece to go between the tow hooks in the front bumper.
I was going to wait and see if it was necessary, but I do have some scraps that look like they'd fill that area nicely.

Originally Posted by marchare011
Any chance of using a fastener that would allow you to install/remove without removing the grille?
I did think about using a toggle bolt, but I was worried its edges would wear into the grill plastic. I thought about getting some small pieces of metal and bending them into a C shaped bracket and tack welding some nuts to them, so all you would need to do is push them through the grill and turn them 90* to grab hold... But Taking the grill off is a 5 min job that I don't mind doing, so I took the easy route with the fender washers.

Originally Posted by Crazy001
Very nice work! I'm curious to see if you notice decreased warmup times with it.
It's hard to say definitively yet, it seems to, but that could just be the warmer weather yesterday. Come Monday when I start taking the regular routes I'll be able to tell for sure if it's helped, as I've memorized most of the temps I'm used to seeing for them.

Originally Posted by Maxium4x4

Comparisons with the red green show were definitely made during this project.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:03 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks excellent, very clean and professional looking! If i had a 6.7, i would definitely want to buy one from you

Old 11-25-2012, 04:39 PM
RobFlag
Senior User
Any chance you'd like to share the templates? (Not surprised if the answer is no, they are at the manufacturers)

Quick Reply: $10 Winter Front