Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1.5 sticks in waiting on tunes.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 03:46 PM
scottddove
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.5 sticks in waiting on tunes.

Thanks to skyskijason we (more he than me) got my reman injectors and new glowplugs in. I got the truck buttoned back up and went for a test run. Alot of smoke at first but calmed down after a few 100 feet. I do not have my tunes from gearhead yet but I am pleased with the results so far. first time I could actually crank the truck without pluggin in since I bought it over a year ago. Results I have noticed so far are, more power alot more,longer start times (still got to get all the air out), Strong odor of diesel fuel at idle (assuming tunes will correct this), very sensitive accelerator pedal. Best of all truck will crank without being plugged in,temps are supposed to drop in the 30's this weekend so that will be the test. Wanna thank all that has offered help to me in diagnosing and helping get my truck issues fixed especially Jason. Alot of nice guys here at FTE.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by scottddove
Thanks to skyskijason we (more he than me) got my reman injectors and new glowplugs in. I got the truck buttoned back up and went for a test run. Alot of smoke at first but calmed down after a few 100 feet. I do not have my tunes from gearhead yet but I am pleased with the results so far. first time I could actually crank the truck without pluggin in since I bought it over a year ago. Results I have noticed so far are, more power alot more,longer start times (still got to get all the air out), Strong odor of diesel fuel at idle (assuming tunes will correct this), very sensitive accelerator pedal. Best of all truck will crank without being plugged in,temps are supposed to drop in the 30's this weekend so that will be the test. Wanna thank all that has offered help to me in diagnosing and helping get my truck issues fixed especially Jason. Alot of nice guys here at FTE.
I've never had the pleasure of turning a wrench with Jason, but we have put back a few beers, and put a hurtin on a Chinese buffet in Baytown Texas .
Congrats on the sticks. You'll be amazed when you get your tunes.
I still have the diesel odor at idle, maybe it's normal, maybe it's my tunes
I drove my truck for a few days without the tunes and besides the sensitive pedal and crazy idle it ran pretty good. With the tunes it ran GREAT! enjoy

Old 11-23-2012, 05:16 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I have the same sticks and do not have a diesel smell. Gearhead tunes.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:28 PM
scottddove
Elder User
Jt250 glad to hear you have the same tunes and do not have the diesel smell. Did you go straight from stock sticks to 1.5? It will burn your eyes under the carport, pretty strong. Idle reminds me of a old 460 gasser I had that was set way to rich with a big cam. Takes if a few seconds to settle down after you bleep the throttle,alot of blue smoke. What should the boost be at idle at about 3000 rpm, mine is only like 4psi is that normal? Franko I see you have stage 1's and bts tunes I am guessing that would be a little different animal than mine.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
You won't have much if any boost seting there even at 3K. It has to be under a load. Sounds like you need your tunes tweeked...Chet

Old 11-23-2012, 07:46 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Jt250 glad to hear you have the same tunes and do not have the diesel smell. Did you go straight from stock sticks to 1.5? It will burn your eyes under the carport, pretty strong. Idle reminds me of a old 460 gasser I had that was set way to rich with a big cam. Takes if a few seconds to settle down after you bleep the throttle,alot of blue smoke. What should the boost be at idle at about 3000 rpm, mine is only like 4psi is that normal? Franko I see you have stage 1's and bts tunes I am guessing that would be a little different animal than mine.
Scott .....crap phone is dying...reply when I get home.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:49 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Scott, it was a pleasure to meet you and I'm glad I was a little helpful. I think your diesel smell will go away - not sure what's wrong with Frank's, but he has a habit of screwing things up!! I have Brian's tunes and the same injectors he does and no smell (at least after it warms up). Of course, it DOES smell like french fries - but that has nothing to do with the injectors!! A 30% over nozzle shouldn't make a whole lot of difference when ya get tunes.

The observations you have made are typical for single-shots with split-shot tuning. You won't see any boost until ya put a load on the engine. Expect to see up to 25psi in your 'daily driver' tunes and 30+ psi in the hottest tunes.

You might have to drive up here and take me for a spin when ya get the chip installed!! (you need to get the air outta there, right??) My boys would love to show yours around the property here.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Okay back home now...

If you dont have all the air out, you need to do that before you can make any assesments.

If you do have all of the air out, it sounds like you have the same issue that I did. I installed my first set of injectors in March or April and then took a trip to New Mexico from Oklahoma City. Along the way I noticed a few problems. Finally narrowed it down to the IPR not that had actually fallen off. Well I THOUGHT that was my problem. It definetly was A problem, but there was more.
I had the rough idle you are talking about and that is exactly how I described it. Matt was hesitant to beleive it was injectors, but AE told me that I had three injectors that werent working very well at idle. The weird think was they were all in the same bank. Soooo....I tried a new ICP eventhought the one that was in there was only 2 years old. I also tried a new VC harness and gasket. I also tested fuel pressure and then added a fuel pressure gauge in cab so I could monitor it. Nothing helped. After going down the list Matt, thought I had enough proof that it could be injectors. I ended up sending all 8 back to Nate and he ended up building me a whole new set. He said that 3 of my injectors were dropping out when ICP went under 500 (Matt likes ICP at idle to be around 475). Well I got the injectors installed and it is a lot better. I have some miles on it now, but I think the other day I developed another idle issue. It is a little different than I had before, but I had one injector that was acting up. The truck has been in the body shop for a couple weeks getting hail damage repaired so I have not been able to drive it or do any testing.

Needless to say that idle is not normal and is not just a symptom of Single shot injectors. If you Got stage 3's or something crazy like that you might have a different idle, but these sticks are still small. If you dont have AE or access to it, you need to get it. My idle got worse as my engine temps climbed. I could sit there and watch the temp rise and perdels on the three injectors get worse. I also think that I had white smoke with the first set of injectors.

We can talk over email if you want. PM me your address, it would be easier. I am definetly not a pro, but have been down this road and might be able to offer some help. I have pulled and installed injectors 5 times now.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:32 AM
scottddove
Elder User
JT250 I appreciate the offer. I am going to give it a while and see what happens. I am sure I need to drive it some and get the air out and get my chip installed next weekend. I do have a ae and will be running some tests I am sure. Another fine example how all of the FTE guys trying to help each other out. Scott.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 PM
scottddove
Elder User
well after putting about 100 miles on the truck today I guess I got the air out. Cranked right up this morning with a ambient temp of 30 degree, (Finally). Main thing I have noticed is the shift points are all over the place and the throttle is way to touchy, cruising on the interstate at 70 is hard to do just barely giving it pedal where it responds is where you have to TRY and keep it give it a 1/8 of a inch more than that and I find myself going 85 with no effort at all. I hope the tunes will take care of these issues.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
well after putting about 100 miles on the truck today I guess I got the air out. Cranked right up this morning with a ambient temp of 30 degree, (Finally). Main thing I have noticed is the shift points are all over the place and the throttle is way to touchy, cruising on the interstate at 70 is hard to do just barely giving it pedal where it responds is where you have to TRY and keep it give it a 1/8 of a inch more than that and I find myself going 85 with no effort at all. I hope the tunes will take care of these issues.
I have no complaints about Matt's tunes.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:47 PM
scottddove
Elder User
Got my gearhead tunes in today. Wow!! Alot of power. I have a few questions that I might ought to be asking Matt but here goes. What is the steath setting good for? All I can tell it is good for is a rough idle with alot of smoke. Econo seems to be the normal driving spot real smooth idle and alot more quiet. I did give the race tune and all out tune a try but just alot of smoke is all I saw no more power than econo from what I could tell. Is this the normal expectation with no more mods than what I have? Lastly I can hit 1200 degrees with no problem in econo going up any type of hill in seconds is this normal?

Old 12-01-2012, 06:02 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Got my gearhead tunes in today. Wow!! Alot of power. I have a few questions that I might ought to be asking Matt but here goes. What is the steath setting good for? All I can tell it is good for is a rough idle with alot of smoke. Econo seems to be the normal driving spot real smooth idle and alot more quiet. I did give the race tune and all out tune a try but just alot of smoke is all I saw no more power than econo from what I could tell. Is this the normal expectation with no more mods than what I have?
Yeah, I didn't even know he did a 'stealth' tune... Its supposed to quiet the engine down so you can order at the drive-thru with engine running. I haven't heard one yet that does that.

With a stock turbo, you can't use all the fuel those hotter tunes can deliver. I think you'll find yourself driving in one tune almost all the time. I'm not sure what Matt does for tow-tune shift strategy, but that and 'econo' are likely all you'll ever use. You can even adjust the plate on the back of the switcher so that its only a 3 or 4 position chip - since you won't use those other tunes until ya get a bigger turbo. (I know...)

Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 PM
94WhiteF250
Senior User
Where did you get your injectors from?

I have been thinking about getting them more and more now, especially since its cold again. I know when I first start it that I can hear a bad injector or two, maybe even three.

But since doing all new glow plugs it starts pretty darn fast now.

I love my truck now, and the amount of power it has, a lot more power then my f250 with a 5.8, I could only imagine with sticks and tunes....

good luck with it!

Old 12-01-2012, 11:02 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Got my gearhead tunes in today. Wow!! Alot of power. I have a few questions that I might ought to be asking Matt but here goes. What is the steath setting good for? All I can tell it is good for is a rough idle with alot of smoke. Econo seems to be the normal driving spot real smooth idle and alot more quiet. I did give the race tune and all out tune a try but just alot of smoke is all I saw no more power than econo from what I could tell. Is this the normal expectation with no more mods than what I have? Lastly I can hit 1200 degrees with no problem in econo going up any type of hill in seconds is this normal?
I use the stealth tune all the time at drive thrus. Mine smokes a little but not too much. I also have high egts but am told it is because of the stock turbo.

Quick Reply: 1.5 sticks in waiting on tunes.