Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2012, 03:39 PM
New User

johnthevon is starting off with a positive reputation.
turbo power loss

Hi folks I have a 2002 350 7.3 my turbo boost cuts out when it gets to 10 psi seems to work ok until "she" gets warmed up then when I floor it my boost Gauge shoots to 11si the {she) just cuts out psi falls and I have no power. Thought it was water have changed the filter and drained the bowl many times but the problem keeps coming back, johnthevon@yahoo.com
Old 11-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.
timmyboy76 seadooya
sounds like turbo surge to me. Also, Remove the intake assy and grab ahold of the compressor wheel. See it it wobbles around.
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..208k and counting
Old 11-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
It doesn't sound like surge at all to me...

Are you getting an SES light? Any codes?

Check to make sure you don't have any tears in the intercooler boots, line off going to the MAP sensor. If you believe you are having a fuel restriction issue, at least get a temporary fuel pressure gauge on their to check it at WOT.

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...297,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Posting Guru

MTDewX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MTDewX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
does it just die out fullly or will the power come back if your holding the peddle to GO mode?

surge I had tends to be Power, then lag. power. then lag again. making you feel like something was wrong.

I ended up getting a rebuilt stock turbo with a WW and changed nothing else.
no more surge. I didnt have crazy mods. just a had held tuner type of thing.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 PM
New User

Red face 2002 7.3 power stroke

Guys and gals thank you for replying to my post but to be honest with you the last time I really new anything about cars was when I owned a 68 camaro. So I really don't know allot of what the hell your telling me. I have turbo boost but when I floor it the psi goes to 10 psi ( i have A pillar gauges) when I do floor it psi shoots to 10 psi then turbo just cuts out and I have no power even if I keep it floored. when I release the pedal all is well. I find if I don't floor it I have turbo and boost past 10 psi thanks for you patience
Old 12-01-2012, 02:29 PM
New User

ok guys what is a turbo surge
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Elder User

1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Dwayne Dotson
A lot of power and then no power and then a lot of power and then no power and a lot of power and then no power and a lot of power and then no power. This is what surge is.
Dwayne Early 1999 F250 2WD Extended cab. 190k B.E.S.T. Map CCV re-route, 50 cent mod, EBPV delete w/ blank pedestal, Resistor installed, 6637 filter w/pete's cover, Used 38R and Intl Up pipes(thanks for the great deal and getting that clamp back on...Jason), billet Plenums, new boots and clamps, AE, Stancor style GPR $38 http://www.aerialequipmentparts.com/...586-105111.htm. Window tint, Hutch and Harpoon mod, Parts on bench: HPOP re-seal kit, ICP, IPR, CPS, FRx, 4 way heater hose valve for cold AC mod, .
Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthevon View Post
ok guys what is a turbo surge
These video's are good examples of surge, not seriously noticeable in power though. It is a rapid stalling of the compressor wheel repeatedly.

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...297,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthevon View Post
Guys and gals thank you for replying to my post but to be honest with you the last time I really new anything about cars was when I owned a 68 camaro. So I really don't know allot of what the hell your telling me. I have turbo boost but when I floor it the psi goes to 10 psi ( i have A pillar gauges) when I do floor it psi shoots to 10 psi then turbo just cuts out and I have no power even if I keep it floored. when I release the pedal all is well. I find if I don't floor it I have turbo and boost past 10 psi thanks for you patience
Is there a noticeable lack of power or sound change associated with what the gauge says?

What I'm getting at is this a gauge/hose issue possibly or are you actually losing boost?

If you can feel it, as I said earlier, I would want to check for boost leaks, such as the boots that clamp the charge pipes together, and up pipes for leaks as well, after looking for boost leaks I would want to try to monitor live data from the PCM to see what the MAP sensor is reading as well as the ICP(Injector Control Pressure) sensor and IPR, beyond that I would want to check fuel pressure.

Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 12-03-2012, 03:48 PM
New User

turbo loss

Oh man you guys are great I can't you enough for you patients with "one of jerrys kids" ME.I watched the 2nd video twice and that is kinda sorts what my truck is doing if I floor it my psi go to 1o psi then just drops to o but is I go with Half throttle I have a steady boost to what ever is that still surge?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 PM
New User

thanks for your help man. is there a certain way to check for leaks around the hoses and stuff
Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel