1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer remote start

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM
jroberts257
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dealer remote start

i know there are all kinds of remote start threads on here, and i have read most of them, but they don't address all of my questions. I have decided I would rather pay to have the dealer do the install so that everything is ford oem. Plus I just dont want the headache. Anyways, can anybody out there give me an approximate price on how much it would cost to be installed? Also I have keyless entry, and I heard there is a way they can program that keyfob to start my truck if i press "lock unlock lock" within 3 seconds. Anybody know if that is actually possible? If not I will need a new remote that has lock unlock and start on it because i dont want two fobs.

So im looking for an approximate cost of having remote start installed by the dealer and possibly a new remote (if they cant do the lock, unlock, lock program). I am interested in both 1 way and 2 way prices so i can better make my decision of which one to get.

If the dealer was open i wouldnt be wasting all your time with these questions.... thanks in advance

Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 AM
oracle
Mountain Pass
I have the OEM remote starter and the module is underneath the dash (driver sidewall side) all loose. Seems like the dealership didn't have the means to attach it to the firewall, kind of dangling just in there..
A lot of wires go into that module, maybe is a plug-and-play kind of setup.
My truck doesn't have the keyless entry option (I have to use the key).

I'll try to take a picture of the module so you can ask the dealership.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Just had it put on my 2012.... the 100 series plug and play... you get 2 new keys that they program and cut with Lockl/UN/start and panic.. one way no extra fob, limited range and no feedback truck actually started. I ended up with the 2 new keys, and my original keys still work. This kit also comes with the antenna unit and wire harness, goes in behind glove box and is held in place by 2 zip ties that r included also the harness goes from antenna to TPMS module just plugs up. kit was $205 from parts counter and $59 for 1/2 hr labor ( they looked labor up in the book) to put it in. ( Dealer has to put it in and use the IDC box to program truck. I needed to have Hood switch, TPMS, and power windows locks for it to work( I have all of them)

be ready to leave it at dealer or wait like 3-4 hrs like I did ( said they had trouble programming keys)

Hope this helps you

Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
jroberts257
Senior User
Originally Posted by Truckie256
Just had it put on my 2012.... the 100 series plug and play... you get 2 new keys that they program and cut with Lockl/UN/start and panic.. one way no extra fob, limited range and no feedback truck actually started. I ended up with the 2 new keys, and my original keys still work. This kit also comes with the antenna unit and wire harness, goes in behind glove box and is held in place by 2 zip ties that r included also the harness goes from antenna to TPMS module just plugs up. kit was $205 from parts counter and $59 for 1/2 hr labor ( they looked labor up in the book) to put it in. ( Dealer has to put it in and use the IDC box to program truck. I needed to have Hood switch, TPMS, and power windows locks for it to work( I have all of them)

be ready to leave it at dealer or wait like 3-4 hrs like I did ( said they had trouble programming keys)

Hope this helps you
that is a great help. sounds like what i want done and better prices than i was thinking. I know i have tpms and power windows, but not sure about the hood switch... i have the oem security, so i assume that includes a hood switch i guess? i was going to have an aftermarket kit installed at a shop in town for $250. It is one way, and then i have to carry around an extra fob (my keyless entry fob, and the new start button fob). The plus is its range is 1000ft. For about the same price your saying i can get the oem kit installed at the dealer and only have one fob, but what is the range?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
i haven't tested it but i think 300ft line of site... less if deep in a big building that lends it self to bad cell reception etc.... I have not had an issue.... plus if johnny crook sees your truck running and wants to break in and drive off.... mine shuts down the second they grab the shift arm....

Old 02-01-2013, 12:10 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't have a remote start or didn't do it in the original deal...
DON'T GO TO THE DEALER...

you are getting OLD technology, higher prices, questionable installs, and less features..

I LOATHE the 4 button combo I have to do to remote start my factory lariat remote !

EVERY other remote start I've had (at least 4 of them on other cars) was easier to start.

my favorite was on my last Excursion... HOLD the start button for a sec and it started...

this one
I have to push the lock (even though 99.9999% of the time it's already locked)
I have to push another button twice to signal the start,
then I have to unlock to get into the truck....

Go get an aftermarket two way system,
better range,
signals when the truck starts so you don't have to go look at it,
more features,
some let u use your phone to start so you don't have to carry a separate remote...

just an overall better deal....
remember, the bean counters are doing the design now days @ the car mfg's...
whereas the remote start mfg's are a one trick pony that HAVE to make theirs the better mousetrap !

Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr

you are getting OLD technology, higher prices, questionable installs, and less features..

I LOATHE the 4 button combo I have to do to remote start my factory lariat remote !

EVERY other remote start I've had (at least 4 of them on other cars) was easier to start.

my favorite was on my last Excursion... HOLD the start button for a sec and it started...

this one
I have to push the lock (even though 99.9999% of the time it's already locked)
I have to push another button twice to signal the start,
then I have to unlock to get into the truck....

Go get an aftermarket two way system,
better range,
signals when the truck starts so you don't have to go look at it,
more features,
some let u use your phone to start so you don't have to carry a separate remote...

just and overall better deal....
remember, the bean counters are doing the design nowdays @ the car mfg's...
whereas the remote start mfg's are a one trick pony that HAVE to make theirs the better mousetrap !

I get what your saying but the steps don't bother me.... I checked best buy... just didn't want somekid that might have broken up with his GF and distracted cutting into my NEW trucks wiring.... by the way the Viper with phone control and GPS tracking was going to be $700 plus you have to pay $50 A YEAR to use your phone.... plus dealer cant' give me warranty nonsense with a Ford remote start...

Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 PM
jroberts257
Senior User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
!
I called the dealer and parts plus labor was $490!! I made a call to an old buddy of mine who knows a lot of people who know a lot of people haha. Got an appointment Monday morning at one of the best after market shops in town to get a remote start and keyless entry (so its all on the same key fob) and another module that lets me start my car from anywhere with cell service with my droid... Total cost of parts and install: $145!! and an additional $20 will get me lifetime warranty on lost or broken remotes, plus free batteries for the remote for life. Pretty stoked right now

Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM
jroberts257
Senior User
plus the App with their system has no recurring charges.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Thats a killer deal. I am gonna buy my viper 5407 system on eBay for $199 half price of installer and they will install for $200. I was stoked at $400 so you got a killer of a deal.

Not near southbend, in are ya

Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
jroberts257
Senior User
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
Thats a killer deal. I am gonna buy my viper 5407 system on eBay for $199 half price of installer and they will install for $200. I was stoked at $400 so you got a killer of a deal.

Not near southbend, in are ya
actually, I kinda am haha. The shop im going to is in Fort Wayne