Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 AM
New User

Bronkitis is starting off with a positive reputation.
AFarmGoat
Factory trailer wiring questions

Ok, so I have a 7 way connector on the back of my 99' superduty xlt. Being that it isn't factory, I am assuming it was installed by the previous owner via a T splice in the factory harness. What I want to to is attach reverse lights to my trailer and charge the battery for my winch as well. Will this style of connector work? What do I need to do to my truck to make it possible or does the fact that it is connected to the factory harness take all of this out of the equation? Thanks!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:02 AM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
What makes you think it is not factory? Most of the SD trucks had a 7 way and a 4 way connector.

You can hook up your power and reverse lights. Most 7 way connectors have that function. You may need to see if you have the relay installed, some trucks don't have it, but parts store 30 amp relays will work in the spot for the relay.

Click the image to open in full size.

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 11-22-2012, 03:27 AM
New User

Bronkitis is starting off with a positive reputation.
AFarmGoat
The 4 way looks to be factory but the 7 way looks after market. Maybe they just replaced it? Idk. I'll get a better look tomorrow! I ask mainly due to I attempted to snag power from the 7 once for some aux reverse lights and got no power.

Where would the relay be located? Thanks for the response.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 AM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
The relay is under the hood by the master cylinder.

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Posting Guru

John7894 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The factory 7 pin connectors have the pinout on the flip up cover. reverse lights and 12 aux power are in there.

Long gone are the diesels...
Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 PM