Are E7TE PA heads good for strokers?

Old 05-22-2003, 01:53 PM
MUD E1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The long block that came out of my 1990 Bronco is sitting in my garage and I was thinking of building a stroker for my Datsun 240Z. I haven't decided between a 331 or 347, but will the heads (E7TE PA) work well with a stroker engine? I'd like to put some roller rockers on them. I'd also like to use a carbureted intake to save money and headaches--will an Edelbrock bolt up to them? Also, do I need different pistons for a stoker?

Thanks for any help. It is also possible that this long block (less crank, which was ruined by a spun rod bearing) could be for sale if anybody is interested.

Old 05-23-2003, 11:59 AM
teschwab
Senior User

e7te head started life as the head ford used for truck engine applications. the head was used for both 5.0/5.8w powered trucks and then was used on the 87 and up 5.0 mustangs. if you plan to use the heads in a low rpm engine, and when i say low rpm i mean 4800 and below. then the e7te heads should make you happy. if a higher rpm range is what you want and you are expecting a major performance gain with the stroker. i would say that the e7te head would be a draw back. hope this helps

Old 05-29-2003, 12:42 AM
Forrest Nearing
Senior User

you would be much better off putting the $800-1400 you're going to build on the stroker setup and buy a pair of real heads and bolt them on a 302... the car will make more power and run much harder than a stroker w/ E7's... those are weak-nut heads even for a 302... asking them to support another 30-50 cubes!? in a truck maybe, but not in a featherweight sports car!!

if you do build a stroker, PLEASE buy some real heads for it... some AFR 185's are AWESOME on a 347.

also, if you're gonna build a stroker, do it right and build the 347... don't let anyone convince you that they've got reliability issues. the rod ratio on a 347 is no worse than a 400 Chevy, and they've got rod/piston combos that put the oil control ring above the wrist pin hole.

often times, the 347 kits can be had cheaper than the 331 kits...

I'd rather have 15 more CID and have an engine that lasts "only" 90k miles versus 100k (cuz you and I both know that no matter what engine you put in there, it's never gonna rack up more than about 30k TOPS! probably more like 5-10k before you tear it apart and do something different with it! LOL!)

Forrest

Old 05-29-2003, 01:10 AM
MUD E1
New User

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll dump the cast iron for some aluminum if I decide to go through with this project . . . a 347 sounds nice.

Old 05-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Forrest Nearing
Senior User

FWIW, my buddy just put together a cheap 347 kit... topped with a pair of ported Victor Jr heads, Victor Jr. intake, 750 double pumper... cam is like 238/242 @ .050"

in a '73 comet (car probably weighs about what your Z will) he went 7.26 @ 93mph w/ a 1.56 60' time (roughly equivalent to DEEP 11's in the 1/4)

that was LITERALLY straight off the trailer... running pig rich, no idea what the initial timing was set at (I advised against running it till we got it timed, but he was anxious to run), etc.

pump gas... totally drivable...

Forrest

Old 05-29-2003, 05:59 PM
MUD E1
New User

Right on! It gives me the goose bumps just thinking about those kind of results. Gotta love the sound that a small-block Ford makes too!

Thanks again.

Old 06-04-2003, 11:45 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru

Muddy One, that sounds like a cool project. While I disagree with Forrest about whether a stroker or heads are more important, I think aluminum heads would help with lowering the engine weight.

I have an 85 Lincoln Continental that I'll be using for a parts car. It has the roller ready block and heads with the E6SE heads that people think are junk. They have 69cc combution chambers compared to the 65cc combustion chambers on the E7TE heads. But the E7 truck heads are open chamber heads. The E6 heads are high swirl, closed chamber heads and the extra combustion chamber volume will help with lowering the compression ratio. On a 347 you'll have a problem with too much compression.

I don't know what you intend to use for a transmission on the 240Z but if you go with an automatic, the E6 heads should run a little better than the E7 heads.

BTW, zero deck the block and use an ROL gasket - max quench equal min detonation.

Old 06-05-2003, 01:49 AM
Forrest Nearing
Senior User

dude, you're consuming WAY too much methamphetamine if you think E6 heads will EVER make more power than E7's!!! LOL!

you can control compression with which pistons you decide on...

I'm still reeling that you would suggest the E6's!! LMAO!!!

seriously, on a 302, the E6's run out of steam at about 4500rpm... on a 347 it would be more like 4000rpm... the valves are shrouded like nobody's business...

that's not to say that the E7's are all that great... like I said, you would be better off w/ a pair of TFS twisted wedges or some AFR 165's (or some Dart Jr's!! LOL!) on a 302 than you would w/ some E7's on a 347... doesn't matter if it's automatic, standard or what...

zero deck is nice, but I would bring the piston out of the hole .010" and use a standard gasket... quench is a good thing... E6 heads are NOT!! LMGDAO!!!!!!!

Forrest

Old 06-05-2003, 01:50 AM
Forrest Nearing
Senior User

PS, E7 heads spec out at 61-62cc

Old 06-05-2003, 07:49 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru

Forrest, The original poster, Mud E1, didn't ask which heads make more power, he asked which heads are better for a stroker. I didn't say that E6 heads make more power, I said that E6 heads would be a better choice in a stroker with an automatic. And I stated my reasons for that opinion; Bigger chambers and closed chambers.

E7 heads are truck heads. Period. Ford used them on the "HO" engine because they were production heads that had bigger valves than the E6 heads. E7 heads suck. F7 heads have chambers that are way too small. The other alternative are the D5 351 heads.

E6 heads will make more torque than E7 heads.

As far as "running out of steam...", I almost never drive any of my cars or trucks above 4000. The only one I'm likely to drive like that is my 86 Mustang GT (with the E6 heads) and the MGB. I'd say I spend less than 1/10th of 1% of my driving time above 4000 RPM.

Mud E1's 240Z isn't going to need to buzz the motor to go fast, especially with a 5.5L engine. And if he uses an automatic transmission, he'll especially appreciate the extra torque that the E6 heads will produce at lower RPMs.

Old 06-07-2003, 01:40 PM
Forrest Nearing
Senior User

Paul,

he wants to build a fast car... your definition of "fast" must be different from mine... an E6 headed 347 will probably have you shifting at about 3500rpm... NO BS!!!! the car will never even make it down the track with the stock rear end gearing and that kind of powerband! LOL! with a good pair of slicks it would probably be damn quick up to about 50mph and then it would just be straining against the restricted heads!!

put a pair of E7 heads on your '86, I bet you pick up 25-30 horsepower, similar amount of torque, and 3 tenths in the 1/4 mile!!

lemme ask you this: why did ford only run the E6 heads on the mustang for ONE YEAR and then decide to raid the TRUCK parts bin and use the E7TE (the "T" is for TRUCK) heads from 87-95? and only put the E6 heads on 165hp non-HO cars like Crown Vics that came with 2.73 gears?

heck, if they're so great for torque, why didn't they run them on the 302 and 351W equipped TRUCKS???

the E6's work well in a small engine/heavy car scenario with tall rear gearing...

they are the WORST choice for a big engine/light car scenario with shorter gearing!!! in that application you need a higher RPM
combo that will be a little softer on the tires getting out of the hole and will make sick power as you wind it out...

I'm talking about building a 400-450hp combo... you're talking about building a 200-250hp combo.

and as for the automatic transmission thing? ever heard of a torque converter? he'll obviously need a higher stall speed, but...

Forrest

Old 06-07-2003, 09:57 PM
The Secret Goat
New User

"use the E7TE (the "T" is for TRUCK) heads"

T is not for "truck." it designated August, the month that the casting cores began production.

E6SE heads have almost identical ports to E7 heads. they are both rotten. the E7 chamber is more efficient. under no circumstances would one be worth 25 to 30 hp over the other. nor would they give you three tenths.

not unless the old ones were cracked.

i am The Secret Goat.

Old 06-08-2003, 02:16 AM
Forrest Nearing
Senior User

uh, yes, they will give about 25-30hp on an '86 GT...

the 86's were rated at 200hp... the 87-93 were rated at 225hp. they did not change the rating system...

also, E7 heads on an 86 shortblock will yield half a point more compression than on an 87+ shortblock... IE, more power...

thanks for playing though!

Forrest

Old 06-08-2003, 03:31 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Gentlemen, Please restrain the colorful language and the LMAO type comments or this thread will be closed. You may exchange information, but making fun of other users is not allowed.

Old 06-08-2003, 04:08 AM
Forrest Nearing
Senior User

but... but... it is making "fun" after all isn't it??

alright, I'll restrain myself... I'm not used to these kinds of rules!

Forrest <-- wild child

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are E7TE PA heads good for strokers?