Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Posting Guru

DIYiT has a good reputation on FTE.DIYiT has a good reputation on FTE.
DIYiT's F-250 Build Thread

I'm going to start a general build thread where I can post all of my various projects that I'll be doing to me '95 F250 in the coming months (and years).

Currently, I'm working on a Dana 60 SAS to replace a very tired and worn Dana 50 TTB setup, but before I get to that, I'll run through a bit of history on my truck.

My dad ordered the truck in '95 as his first new pickup for farm work. Other than a drop in plastic bed-liner, a factory replacement tailgate (at 2 weeks old), and a DMI Quick-Cush'n bumper & hitch, the truck was all original for the full 14 years he used it as his main work truck.

In 2009, he got a new truck and I acquired the truck from him. It had some dings in the tailgate and bumper, and rust had set in over the wheel wells and front bumper, but otherwise the truck was in great running condition.

Immediately, I had the mufflers removed a dual exhaust installed. Over the course of 2 years of college, the truck also gained a Pioneer radio, a temporary sub box behind the seat, a Hurculiner bed-liner to replace the broken plastic drop-in, eBay headlights, and eventually the running boards came off.

These are the best pictures I have of the truck at that time:

December of 2009, I slid the truck on an icy road and ran over a mailbox before heading into a snow pile in the ditch; this was the result:

I was so mad about the whole ordeal and when I finally decided to fix the truck, I never took a good picture of the damage with the truck out of the ditch before starting to take the truck apart.

Here's a couple pictures during the bodywork phase of the rebuild. I friend of mine and his older brother (body-man) did the work for me on a college budget.

I don't remember everything about the work done to my truck, but a partial list of things replaced/repaired:
  • New Passenger door
  • New door glass - both sides
  • New windshield
  • New front fenders
  • New header panel
  • New radiator, AC condensor, Transmission cooler, & oil cooler
  • New headlights, trim, and grill
  • New Front bumper
  • New passenger side cab corner
  • And some work done to the hood in order to keep it rather than replacing it

I also painted the rear half of the frame with Chassis Saver (didn't do a good prep job though and it's starting to flake).

I had the cab painted for 3 or 4 months before finally finding a rust free bed for a reasonable price. I bought it from an electrician who took it off of a '92 F350 around '95 and had it sitting in his barn ever since. The truck it came from was owned by a furniture company, so the bed shows quite a bit of wear, but the box sides were in very good shape.

After finally getting the front end put back together, tuition ate up any remaining funds I had and I drove the truck around like this for almost 6 months.

Finally, in the spring of 2011, I had the funds (and motivation) to get the box painted. I had taken a job with a traveling construction crew (Instrumentation Technician), and I was buying a fifth wheel to live in during work. I wanted to complete the truck before leaving with the camper, so the next few months were busy.

First, I got the box and tailgate painted (couldn't afford the aluminum trim panel, so I'm going without it now).

I also had Line-X installed in the bed and a B&W turnover ball gooseneck and Companion 5th wheel hitch added to the truck.

Finally, wheel trim, side molding, and mud-flaps went back on to break up the (IMO) boring flat color, along with professional window tint to replace the Wal-mart variety I had installed previously.

The last of the work I finished up only a few days before heading 500 miles north to where I would spend the next 14 months working (moved into an apartment for the winter). This is how my truck has been for the last year and a half with no other changes made to it.

1995 F-250 - Vortech 460, E40D - 4x4 3.55, Single Cab, Long Box
--Dana 60 Swap --Vortech Install
Old 11-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Senior User

garrett_8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
love it!

my truck just suffered some damage and im going to have to replace to bed and and repaint it
Old 11-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Posting Guru

OK. For part two of what was going to be my original post (got distracted last night).

Some of the part numbers and links I'll be including in my comments are as much a journal entry for me as it is information for others out there.

I'm currently working on rebuilding a '93 Dana 60 front axle I acquired last year; it has sat while I was in northern Minnesota working. Now, I'm closer to home and have time on weekends to head back to my parents' house to work on my truck and axle.

3 weeks ago, I pulled the axle out of the storage shed and moved it to the shop to begin work. I had ordered a set of Timken wheel bearings and seals (East Coast Gear Supply part# AK D60F), XRF ball joints, and Spicer Axle U-joints (5-806X or SPL55-3X). I also ordered a few tools for this project: an
OTC Ball Joint service kit OTC Ball Joint service kit
and a
KD Tools Spindle Nut Service Kit KD Tools Spindle Nut Service Kit
. The Spindle nut service kit ended up not containing the correct socket for my axle although the description states that it works on my '93 axle. I think it may have to do with the manual hubs rather than the automatic that the axle should have come with. To get the correct socket, I ordered the larger
spindle nut socket spindle nut socket

This is a picture of the locking hubs on my axle. I don't see anything that identifies the brand.

My "working platform"

This is as far as I got 3 weekends in a row as I was stuck, unable to get the spindle nut off. I tried a hammer and punch as I had seen online when the correct socket isn't available, but after finally breaking it free with a 24" breaker bar, it's obvious the PO hadn't torqued them correctly and had just tightened as far as he could go.

A shot of the hub if it can help identify the brand I have.

The Passenger side hub after I had gotten it separated from the rotor. Looks like it's dented. I haven't decided if I'll be finding a JY hub (so that I can still drive my truck while building the axle) or if I'll sacrifice the usability of my truck and salvage one from my Dana 50 TTB to replace this one.

A view of the first spindle I exposed. I should get a better picture next weekend, but I'm a bit worried about the rear part of the spindle where the hub should seal against the spindle. It seems a bit rough to me and I'm not sure if new seals will operate properly (I haven't ordered a spindle bearing and seal kit though both sides BADLY need new spindle bearings).

One side benefit to the spindle nut service kit was the inclusion of this spindle "socket". I found it to help since I could use it to hammer against to help pull the spindle off.

Parts and pieces coming off: Sway Bar mounts

Sway bar and steering links

Starting on the Driver's side:

View of the hub after cleaning out all of the grease

What a mess that was!

PO had a brake problem:

I forgot to take photos, but I also drained the pumpkin and took a look at the gears as well as getting both sides' spindles off and successfully pulled the axles. Once again, the axle shafts look a bit corroded and rough and I'm not sure if the seals are going to work properly. I'll get photos this weekend when I have the chance, and then I'll be tackling pulling the knuckles off and removing the ball joints.

Then it's helping a friend get his oven installed in his garage so that we can start powdercoating the smaller parts and researching how to powdercoat the main axle at home as well.

Things I need to do in the next week:
  • Order Spindle bearing and seal kit
  • Order steering linkages
  • Order PMF RSK, drop pitman arm, and track-bar.
  • Order brake pads and new rotors

I'm looking for advice on which brand of bushings I should get for the sway bar and sway bar end links as well as possibly replacing worn Super Duty spring eye bushings.

This past weekend, I bought a set of T code Super Duty front leaf springs and a hydroboost brake booster from an F-Super Duty from the JY. Unfortunately it's not a pick'n'pull yard and they won't pull parts over the weekend so I'm waiting to get back home and pick them up.

As always, comments, criticisms and concerns are welcome.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Senior User

Tsoptich is starting off with a positive reputation.
www.facebook.com/thomassoptich
Beautiful truck. I like the blue, going to be pretty sweet after the sas.
Thomas Iraq & Afghanistan Veteran- Sgt USMC
Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks.

I'm hoping the ride will be improved a ton.

During the last week it looks like the thermostat is stuck open, so the engine isn't heating up. With my time to work on things over the weekend short, I took it to Ford to have them replace the thermostat. While they were looking at it, it looks like the coolant is original, but it was all flushed and replaced only a year ago, so my guess is a rusted out water pump. They also found the lower intake gasket is leaking, and they're telling me the head gaskets may be bad as well; that I don't believe as compression is still good and there's no water in the oil.

So, it looks like my engine rebuild will be happening sooner rather than later. So now it's going to be the SAS, then start working on the new motor I'm going to drop in to the truck. I've already got an '88 block out of my old boss's truck torn down and now I need to start deciding how much power I can afford to add.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
FYI that is a 95,96,97 D60.

Bolt on calipers

And 3 bolt hubs(ford)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks, Brad. So those are factory Ford hubs? I've always read that they should be red dials on the hubs.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Senior User

svp_evo is starting off with a positive reputation.
svp*******
great job. truck looks fantastic
Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Posting Guru

LeoJr is starting off with a positive reputation.
DIYiT, I'm posting so I get updates to your thread as I hope to rebuild and swap a '95 D60 into my '96 truck. Thanks for your efforts and good luck!

Last edited by LeoJr; 11-25-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelun
Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Yes, factory for hubs.

just a FYI, you need to use the rotors and calipers from your donor axle
Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks, Brad, but I thought the Dana 50 and Dana 60 hubs, rotors, and brakes were interchangeable in the same year range? Shouldn't my '95 TTB brakes and hub fit the '95-'97 Dana 60 I have? I'm away from my truck during the week, but I could have sworn it had the same two bolt calipers on my truck currently.

The more knowledge I gain here, the less mistakes I'll (hopefully) make on my own.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYiT View Post
looks great.very nice job.it's pretty dang hard to beat a clean 9th gen.no super duty has anything on you.good luck on your D60 swap.

edit,oh shoot.iv got to share this with ya,since your on it right now.
i upgraded to some pretty affordable dimpled and slotted rotors with lifetime warranty.check these out:

one super upgrade i wish i did long ago.got them at brakeperformance.com
often they run a 10% discount on weekends etc.be sure to check 'em out!
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYiT View Post
Thanks, Brad, but I thought the Dana 50 and Dana 60 hubs, rotors, and brakes were interchangeable in the same year range? Shouldn't my '95 TTB brakes and hub fit the '95-'97 Dana 60 I have? I'm away from my truck during the week, but I could have sworn it had the same two bolt calipers on my truck currently.

The more knowledge I gain here, the less mistakes I'll (hopefully) make on my own.
My bad, I thought your truck was a 94. YES, you can use your calipers, rotors,wheel hubs and locking hubs. Actually the locking hubs are the same from the 70s to current
Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Posting Guru

Just to be sure, but spindles are different between the Dana 50 and 60 though, correct?

Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Post Fiend

Yes, spindles are different. D50 has approx a 3/8 lip where it sits in the knuckle
A d60 has about a 1/2 lip
Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 PM