Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Using vegetable oil for fuel

Old 05-22-2003, 12:04 PM
cneel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to install a kit to use vegetable oil in my 96, E350 powerstroke which has a Diablo chip and a 203 degree thermostat. The kit uses hot water from the cooling system to preheat the vegieoil to about 170-180 degrees F (the hotter it is the less viscous the oil is). At this temperature the vegie oil will be about twice as viscous as diesel.

1. Are there any modifications that can be made to optimize powerstroke for this fuel? Would increasing the injector pressure help?

2. Has anyone had any experience doing this?

Thanks

Old 05-22-2003, 03:30 PM
theologian
Postmaster

Why do you want to smell like a fast food restaurant?

Old 05-22-2003, 03:40 PM
jbalestri
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question......

If diesels have "blow-by" when running diesel.

Do veggie oil engines have "fry by"????

Sorry couldn't resist.

Old 05-22-2003, 03:53 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

From what I've heard, running cooking oil without actually converting it to biodiesel is very hard on the injectors.

Old 05-22-2003, 06:11 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru

why do you want to make this mod? How much does cooking oil cost by the gallon???

Old 05-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Motoxman_117
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am wondering if the biodiesel would hurt the powerstroke? Seems kind of cool!

MotoX

Old 05-23-2003, 05:33 PM
ctbiodzl
Senior User

That's great!

I'm running WVO in my VW TDI.

As far as I know, a few guys are running their 6.9 and 7.3L Navistars's on WVO too. Check at biodiesel.infopop.net. Search on the above displacements and 'WVO'.

In general any older indirect-injection ( w/ pre-chamber ) will run
veg. oil w/o problems. There must be over a hundred running it in old diesels including M-B's and Cummins and IH's.

The problem is the newer direct injection diesels. The vo doesn't completely burn and leads to carbon deposits , 'coking' in the comb. chamber. And gummmed rings.
Checkthis site for the 'SVO Controversy'
http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_TDI.html

background info:
http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html

Some DI engines don't seem to have the problem. A dozen VW TDI's have gone > 10,000 miles on std dual tank heated vo setups. One in Germany has gone 50,000 miles.
The VW TDI has a pocket in the top of the piston that forms a sort of pre-chamber. If unburned vo gets on the cyl. walls, coking results.

The best bet is to find someone else who is running their DI 7.3L on vo. Or go to www.elsbett.com. they make kits to allow DI engines to run vo. My TDI has an Elsbett kit.

Good luck.

Old 05-23-2003, 05:47 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

Originally posted by Motoxman_117
I am wondering if the biodiesel would hurt the powerstroke?
Keep in mind that cooking oil and biodiesel are not the same thing. Biodiesel can be manufactured from cooking oil, but cooking oil is not biodiesel.

Old 05-23-2003, 10:48 PM
bigblue250
Senior User

I can get fry oil from one of my distributors for about $14 for a 35 pound container(about 5 gallons). The used stuff yuo can have for free it is some nasty stuff. I wouldnt run the stuff in my PSD the injection system is to expensive for me to play with . But on the other hand if I had an old IDI 6.9/7.3 or even a newer dddddoge Crummins i would be running every type of combustible(or even semi combustible)oil I could get my hands on If that was the case I would have my fryers changed every day(free fuel for me)

Old 05-25-2003, 08:42 AM
ctbiodzl
Senior User

Here is another thread on running biodiesel in newer Powerstrokes. No official confirmation from Navistar, but several drivers are trying it.
Powerstrokes on biodiesel
Goto Biodiesel Discusion - Biodiesel vehicles - Find the thread titled 'Ford Powerstrokes'

Old 05-25-2003, 10:35 AM
MrFeexit
Senior User

This may be of interest also

http://www.projectbiobus.com/project.htm

Old 05-26-2003, 09:15 AM
cneel
New User

The kit I am installing costs about $685 from greasel.com.
It will enable me to use WVO (waste vegetable oil) scavanged from deep fat friers. The oil is filtered and rinsed, if necessary, to remove all particles down to below 10 microns in size. Then, it is preheated to about 180 degrees and sent into injectors. The payoff is supposed to be free, low poluting fuel from a bio-renewalable source. The question is how well the powerstroke will digest this fuel. Mercedes, VWs, Volvos, IDI Fords and other tolerate it quite well. The powerstroke has a spotty record from what little I have found. It seems the hotter the oil is the better, and the cleaner it is the better. I have installed a 203 degree thermostat to try and get the WVO temp above 180. I will be filtering below 10 microns. We shall see what happens. I am having the kit installed June 2-3. After I have put a few thousand miles, I will post results.

Chester Neel

Old 05-27-2003, 07:12 AM
ctbiodzl
Senior User

Chester,
Congradulations! It's a gutsy move.
The hotter the better for the vo temp.
At 180*F the viscosity is 10 centistokes.
This is the maximum viscosity deemed allowable to meter correctly in a diesels fuel pump by Joshua Tickell.
He has a chart of vis. vs. temp. in his book "From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank". Petro diesel is 1 -2 centistokes.

A friend mounted a remote sensing thermometer on his wvo powered diesel Rabbit. He's only getting to ~150*F. So your raised thermostat will help. Insulating the coolant lines wil also help.

Presumably coking would result if the fuel was not able to be atomized due to it's higher viscosity.
Hopefully the wvo will reach ~200*F as it passes through the injector. Others have speculated on raising the fuel injector pressure 0.5 bar, or 5 - 10 psi.

If enough unburned fuel gets to the cylinder walls it will accumulate in the crankase and show up as overfilled dipstick readings. Check every few days. Stop the wvo immediately.
Excess exhaust smoke would also be an indicator of unburned fuel. If I don't glow my gp's long enough on a cold start, I get a big cloud of smoke.

Old 05-30-2003, 02:58 PM
SMB
Senior User

Nice! Let us know what happens. When diesel was up to $2/gal, I was setting up to make biodiesel. I was quite unsure about running straight WVO for the reasons all ready stated. Got as far as making a test batch of the biodiesel. I ended up making glop-soap and not methylated esters. But I just eyeballed the recipe, and didn't actually measure anything.

Good luck. Hope you don't mind being the guinea pig.

-SMB

Old 07-24-2007, 11:33 AM
biggietx
5th Wheeling
Just curious if there had been any updates since 2003 on the WVO trials.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using vegetable oil for fuel