1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

SD valve cover gasket/harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 PM
NWO_diesel_nut
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SD valve cover gasket/harness

I need to replace my valve cover harness setup, one pigtail plug is melted and I suspect a bunch of the harness under the covers are cooked.

What has to be done to switch to the SD harness? From what I understand the wires are a heavier gauge? Just match up the wires from two pigtails into one?

Also, I need my replacement asap, so I have no use for this one, but want to share it with someone on here that might. 2 SD harnesses Ford OEM on Ebay. Cheap, cheap, $40.00 and ends tomorrow. Slow shipping is why I don't buy it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-7-3-DIE...3253ef277#shId

Last edited by NWO_diesel_nut; 11-18-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Add Ebay info and link
Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
PM fordpride. Mike has done this.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It's very easy.

Take the whole engine harness off the truck. Where the harness splits to go to the valve cover you'll turn it into one. Cut the old plugs off and solider the news ones on. The wires are color coded so just match the colors.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:52 PM
NWO_diesel_nut
Senior User
Smile

Well I got it 3/4 accomplished today. Just have to cut old pigtails and put in the new one in the morning.

Wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how to take that back bolt on the passenger cover off. 13mm on 3/8 drive works pretty well when you crawl halfway into the front end.

Surprising how fast it goes back together. I know I spent 3 hours taking it apart and less than an hour putting it back together (for the most part)

Something interesting I found on the Dorman kit that I put in. The wires extend right from the pins and are zip-tied back. No more inside clip that comes loose (the 25 cent mod). I was surprised, thinking I was going to have to grind down a quarter.

If it works, I would be surprised why more people don't switch to the SD harness. The pins are quite a bit bigger than the OBS.

Also, any major reason to put the vaccuum box back in it's original place? I figured I would stash it further towards the passenger fender somewhere and fasten with zip-ties. Keeps it out of the way for 'next time'.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
If you box was glued on just put it back with Velcro

Old 11-22-2012, 07:52 AM
NWO_diesel_nut
Senior User
Smile

It was screwed, but the velcro idea is good. Thanks.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 AM
NWO_diesel_nut
Senior User
Unhappy

Ok, so I got the connections done, but the truck won't start.

I used quick splices for the time being so I could test if the truck would start before making soldered connections. Could the quick splices be the problem?

I want to verify that I made the right connections. On the OBS plug, it should go:

GP
INJ
GR
INJ
GP

Correct?

On the SD Harness it should go:

GP
GP
INJ
INJ
GR
INJ
INJ
GP
GP

Correct?

Old 11-22-2012, 10:32 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Correct. With just crimp obs you cold have bad connections

Old 11-22-2012, 10:34 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Did you take the harness off the truck?

Verify that you don't have any wire crossed

Old 11-22-2012, 10:41 AM
NWO_diesel_nut
Senior User
Question

No I moved the wrap and loom on the harness back and got enough wire to make the connections. I don't have the extra time to remove the harness. I guess I will remove the tape on the new connections and put in butt connectors.

I only used one of the OBS grounds for the SD ground, the other is just disconnected, could that be the issue?

Old 11-22-2012, 12:42 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
I used both grounds

Old 11-22-2012, 07:15 PM
NWO_diesel_nut
Senior User
Well thanks for the help. I redid the connections with butt connectors, using only one of the grounds and truck is running great.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:47 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NWO_diesel_nut
Ok, so I got the connections done, but the truck won't start.

I used quick splices for the time being so I could test if the truck would start before making soldered connections. Could the quick splices be the problem?

I want to verify that I made the right connections. On the OBS plug, it should go:

GP
INJ
GR
INJ
GP

Correct?
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for! Now I know how to verify that my injector harness on the outside got wired right.

This if from left side of the plug to the right side correct?

I realize this thread is a bit old, but I was wondering, do you have the color code for the dorman pigtails to stock wire harness?

Old 03-22-2014, 08:21 AM
NWO_diesel_nut
Senior User
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for! Now I know how to verify that my injector harness on the outside got wired right.

This if from left side of the plug to the right side correct?

I realize this thread is a bit old, but I was wondering, do you have the color code for the dorman pigtails to stock wire harness?

I had the wiring wrong. Somehow one ground was connected to a power wire, according to mechanic. Truck ran for 4 months before it fried the pigtails and IDM. He replaced the SD UVCG back to OBS. My little screw up left me stranded and had to be towed, so I don't mess around with that truck anymore. Just run it till it dies for good.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:15 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NWO_diesel_nut
I had the wiring wrong. Somehow one ground was connected to a power wire, according to mechanic. Truck ran for 4 months before it fried the pigtails and IDM. He replaced the SD UVCG back to OBS. My little screw up left me stranded and had to be towed, so I don't mess around with that truck anymore. Just run it till it dies for good.
I'm having a problem of getting my truck to start. I was driving down the highway, down-shifted to exit, and it just died, couldn't do a rolling re-start, nothing. I don't know whats up. New fuel pump, CPS, the works.. I just don't know how to wire up the old pig-tail colors to new dorman ones that only seem to have 3 colors.

Quick Reply: SD valve cover gasket/harness