1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got rearended -- Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 PM
dscabra
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got rearended -- Pictures

Here is a tribute to how tough the Ford SD trucks are. I was stopped in traffic today and the guy behind me got plowed into and pushed into my truck. Both the other cars involved sustained significant damage, but I got some white paint on my bumper that I wiped off when I got home.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Gotta love it when these trucks pull though.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch that is pretty amazing your super duty didn't get any damage how fast was the other guy going?
Trav

Old 11-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
And you got to drive home and not have to call for a ride.

The SD's sure do hold up that is for sure. How are you feeling
anyone hurt?

Sean

Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks like he probably hit your receiver? If that's the case, that's why your bumper didn't get much damage (plus the lift helps!).

Hope everyone involved is ok.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
That certainly will buff right out! Quite a bit of damage that the suv. Looks like the Acadia.

whole front will have to be replaced. several thousand bucks I suppose to the middle ride and the one at fault.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Looks like he probably hit your receiver? If that's the case, that's why your bumper didn't get much damage (plus the lift helps!).

Was just talking to a buddy of mine about this yesterday....

I got rear ended myself October 2008, her minivan had to be towed and all I drove away with a crooked bumper.

This is also why if I ever get married and have a few kids, I'm getting the wife an '05 Excursion with some V/B code springs for a slight lift. This way, when something happens, her and the kids are well protected.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
This is a great example not so much of how tough these trucks are, but more of why lift kits can be dangerous. The Envoy wasn't severely damaged so much because your truck was tougher than it, but simply because the structures designed for the impact didn't even come in contact with your truck. Had your truck not been lifted the Envoy's bumper would have been better able to manage the crash forces than the grille and radiator, and lots of damage would have been prevented.

Glad to hear it worked out for you, but much more damage was inflicted on the Envoy than there should have.

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
This is also why if I ever get married and have a few kids, I'm getting the wife an '05 Excursion with some V/B code springs for a slight lift. This way, when something happens, her and the kids are well protected.
Ask THIS GUY what he thinks of lift kits. I rode in his front passenger seat three weeks before it was crushed. These trucks fare badly in rollovers, and lifting the center of gravity for safety doesn't make much sense to me.

I think lift kits are dangerous.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 AM
dscabra
Tuned
Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002
Ouch that is pretty amazing your super duty didn't get any damage how fast was the other guy going?
Trav
Traffic was only moving at 25-30 m.p.h., but I have no idea how fast the kid in the Honda was going when he hit the Envoy. There were no skid marks, so he likely didn't even brake before the impact. The kid has only been driving for three weeks.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 AM
dscabra
Tuned
Originally Posted by Yahiko
And you got to drive home and not have to call for a ride.

The SD's sure do hold up that is for sure. How are you feeling
anyone hurt?

Sean
No injuries to anyone.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:28 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
This is a great example not so much of how tough these trucks are, but more of why lift kits can be dangerous. The Envoy wasn't severely damaged so much because your truck was tougher than it, but simply because the structures designed for the impact didn't even come in contact with your truck. Had your truck not been lifted the Envoy's bumper would have been better able to manage the crash forces than the grille and radiator, and lots of damage would have been prevented.

Glad to hear it worked out for you, but much more damage was inflicted on the Envoy than there should have.

Ask THIS GUY what he thinks of lift kits. I rode in his front passenger seat three weeks before it was crushed. These trucks fare badly in rollovers, and lifting the center of gravity for safety doesn't make much sense to me.

I think lift kits are dangerous.

^^^^ Says the voice of reason!

My wife just had a rental from an accident she was in a few weeks back in her Outlook. Purely cosmetic repairs, but they gave her a GMC Yukon XL as a rental. The thing was as long as my truck and was gutless, but built like a tank. She loved it and I won't lie, I felt better about her driving that than the Outlook. I tried to convince her to get an Expedition EL but she loves the new Explorer's, and I'm a sucker for HP, so a Sport Ex is on the list.

I'm going to start looking for a '78 Bronco as well for my oldest boy. I'll never forgive myself for selling mine back 20 years ago and it'll be easy to teach him how to do basic maintenance on it.

/hijack

Old 11-18-2012, 09:28 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No damage...nice! I usually keep this is in my hitch for a little extra protection

Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 AM
dscabra
Tuned
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet

Yep, my receiver pretty much took the brunt of the impact. The bumper took out the upper grille and hood and didn't even get tweaked. The plastic step pad in the center of the bumper got some pretty deep scuffs, but that's an easy fix.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 AM
dscabra
Tuned
Originally Posted by senix
That certainly will buff right out! Quite a bit of damage that the suv. Looks like the Acadia.

whole front will have to be replaced. several thousand bucks I suppose to the middle ride and the one at fault.
The Envoy sustained damage front and back. I think it can be repaied, but it may cost more than the car is worth. It is a 2002 with 200K miles on it.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
As crazy said bumper height mismatch is what mattered.
i had a rear ender in my tahoe. Kids in civic didn't see me
turning and slammed on their brakes, noise diving low.
Lifted the rear of my tahoe turned me 90* as they hit my
Left rear. I broke seat from impact the civic was totalled.
I drove it home after visit to ER after putting seat verticle again

Quick Reply: Got rearended -- Pictures